Bloomberg L.P. Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 19, 2017
3,867 Interview Reviews

3.1

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in May 2016.

Interview

The Worst Interview I have ever had!!!
    First time (2016 May), I applied for data analyst position and interviewer told me "Our company is not doing Data Analysis, I wonder why you applied even you don't understand the job role." So I said, "But job description says data analyst." The interviewer said, "Customer will analyze the data and you won't understand!?" I asked, "So do you give raw data to your customer? csv file??"
    The interviewer said, "YES!"

The second time(2017 Jan), they call me at 4 am. I understand you work 24/7 but please let me know in advance if you are calling me at 4 am.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me about what you know about this position Data Analyst"   1 Answer

Analytics and Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Initially the process involved basic application questions in the Career Section (Why Bloomberg? Why Sales? etc.) Then completed a numeral reasoning test (fairly short and straightforward). The following step comprised a video-interview where I had to record my answers (roughly 5-10 questions). The final step was an interview with my team leader/s which lasted 1 hour.

Interview Questions

• Which of our products can help a client raise capital efficiently?   Answer Question
    • Can you talk me through Bloomberg's products and services?   Answer Question
    • Can you briefly share your thoughts on Brexit and how the decision impacted financial markets globally?   Answer Question

Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

Very long, badly organised. The team leaders do not know anything about you and they just show up there with questions to make you fail the interview. Not pleasant. Bad treatment. Such a shame that big companies hire these kind of people to carry out the interviews. They called me three times to male sure that the languages I spoke were in accordance with their database.

Marketing Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Princeton, NJ) in December 2016.

Interview

I applied through my university. The end to end process took about 2+ months. First, you had to do video screen where you record yourself answering various questions they give you. Some of these questions include: what do you know about the terminal? Why do you like technology? You have a minute or so to answer these questions.

Then, I heard I moved onto to the on campus interview part. I was interviewed by two Bloomberg employees who were really nice and friendly. The interview was pretty relaxed, and they asked basic questions about my resume. They also asked me why I was interested in finance.

I found out a week or two later that I had a super day. The super day was the hardest interview I've ever been on to this day. It was 80% case studies- 2 of which were individual, and 1 was a group case study. The group case study was about reading the same article, and having one team advocate for one argument and the other team advocate another. The article was a tech related article. The individual case studies were around going through Excel data, and then working through a process map. You had 15/20 minutes to do each of the individual case studies, with a Bloomberg employee watching you the whole time not being able to help you at all. If anything, it was ridiculously nerve wracking. The individual case studies were extremely difficult as well, so I felt like an idiot trying to decipher what I actually had to do while you have a big timer in front of you counting down. Towards the end of the day, I finally had my 1 on 1 interview with a manager (which I was actually prepped for unlike the other case studies), but it was so nonchalant and almost seemed so unimportant to the entire process. It was basically a walk through of your resume. In my situation, I was aware there was going to be case studies but not to the extent of what they put you through. The case studies are so draining, and truly don't measure your ability on what you can bring to the company in my opinion.

In between the case studies and the interview, the employees walk you around the campus and show you everything. You sit and chat with them in the kitchen, just having small talk. It was confusing to understand if during this sit and chat they were evaluating you or just trying to pass the time. The whole super day lasted from 8am-1pm (including lunch)...so it was a ridiculously long day. They serve you lunch at the end which was nice. The entire process was enjoyable for me until the super day. It was completely unexpected and totally unfair in my opinion. They let you know in a week or so if you get the job or not.

Interview Questions

• Why Finance? What do you know about the terminal?
      Case Studies- 1) Going through various process maps, and trying to see where you could eliminate steps that would eventually save time and money 2) Going through sheets of excel data to find where the error is   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Town Line, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Town Line, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

You must use the hackerrank interface (and you may not cut and paste from your favorite ide).Use a partially sorted list, square it and sort it again (in faster than n log n time).... do not use a merge sort!

Interview Questions

• Use a partially sorted list, square it and sort it again (in faster than n log n time)....   3 Answers

Financial Product Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in June 2016.

Interview

This was a telephone interview that lasted for about 45 minutes. The interviewer was very nice and personable. They were patient with my responses and explained the questions thoroughly when I asked for clarification.

Interview Questions

• What might be a strategy that a company like Nestle take in order to protect itself from fluctuating prices of their resources?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

interview process was very efficient and flexible.

Contacted by recruiter for a senior software engr position. I submitted my resume, and within 1 day, set a phone interview.

Phone Interview - [ 1 hour ]
    Spoke to: another senior engineer
    Format: Hackerrank
    Questions: 4
    1. Design a queue with a getMin() function
    2. Design a function to find the sqrt of a number, exact to 0.001
    3. Write a function to find all primes between 1 to N
    4. Describe how SQL indexes are made
       - was a bit surprised by this one. nethertheless, it is coursework I took in my undergrad so I knew.

I solved all of them pretty fast. The interviewer told me they would get back to me the next day. The next morning, I scheduled an onsite.

They helped out with the flight + hotel + car ride.

Onsite Interview - (8 rounds)
    I had 8 rounds of interviews... It was a really intense and stressful day.

Round 0 - got a tour of the fantastic building. I got some OJ and coffee and headed up to the first room.

Round 1 - [ 1 hour ] - 2 people - Coded on HackerRank and compiled with test cases
    - Write a function to determine the number the ways to make N cents given an array S which contains the currency of the coin. I.E. if S = {1,5,10,25}, and N = 25, Find the number of ways to make N cents using pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters.

I used the standard DP approach and was able to solve the problem in the first try.

Round 2 - [ 1 hour ] - 2 people - Coded on HackerRank and compiled with test cases
    - Write a code to determine if a pattern exists in a string. I struggled quite a bit with this one. The interviewer said "rolling hash", and it clicked. The hash function has to be rolled in the text to be matched with the pattern. Remember to use prime numbers for the base and mod and know the ins and outs of hashing.

I wrote the function, ran, and passed the test case on HackerRank.

Round 3 - [ 1 hour ] - 2 people - On paper , Really heavy c++ basics.
    - This is the first on paper interview. What a relief I thought .. I thought wrong, they asked many C++ basics which I was not very confident in. regardless, i was able to answer every question correctly with some help.
    1. What are the main additions to C++ in C++14? (I happened to know a few new STLs and common libraries so mentioned those)
    2. What's the difference between const char * p, and char * const p ?
    3. Whats the underlying data structure of a <vector>? <map> ? <unordered_map> ?

Round 4 - [1 hour ] - 2 people. on their computer - STRESS INTERVIEW, it was extremely stressful.
    This was the 'harsh' interview.

"Design me a server."

Any questions I asked were promptly rejected to say, "I don't know, do you think that would be good?, If you think that's good, then add it"
    The interviewers were quite negative but I believe that was the intent of the interview.. to see how I handle pressure.

I ignored it all, had a big smile on my face with confidence, laid out my assumptions, and created a basic singleton server that can take requests and respond to a request using the c++11 thread library <thread>

I struggled getting the code to compile because I was rusty with mutexes and thread joins. With their help I was able to get a fully functional multi threaded server to run on their computer.

Round 5 - [1 hour ] - 2 people , Lunch interview ,asking about my personality and behavioral questions.

At this point, I was asked to lunch by 2 of the managers.

I saw one of the managers make a phone call, and he asked me to come back to the office to speak with his manager.

Round 6 - [ 30 minutes ] - 1 person - Talking with a senior manager - WHY BLOOMBERG??
    I talked with a tech exec about my personality.
    1. Why do you want to leave you current company?
    2. Why do you want to join us?
    3. What would you be your short term career goals ?

Round 7 - [ 30 minutes ] - 1 person - Talked with a HR rep.
    Same questions as before.
    1. Why Bloomberg?
    2. Given a problem, what is your approach to solve it?

Round 8 - [30 minutes ] - 1 person - Talked to the head of HR
    Same as before.

If you expect to get an offer, be ready to answer the common behavioral questions. Also, you should be able to do 99% of CS interview questions in your sleep. Doing them on a computer with 2 people breathing down your neck definitively makes you forget things. Be confident. Speak clear. Record your self talking through a problem, and listen to it. Do you sound clear? Are you easy to understand ? No? THEN PRACTICE AGAIN!

Record your self answering the question " Why bloomberg?" " Why do you want to leave your company?" It BETTER SOUND GOOD!

[OFFER]
    I got an offer the next morning at 9am. The offer was 30% higher than my salary expectation.

I accepted the offer right away and have been working here for the past 4 months and am having a splendid time.

Interview Questions

• 1. Design a queue with a getMin() function   1 Answer
    • Why bloomberg?   Answer Question
    • 3. Write a function to find all primes between 1 to N   Answer Question
    • Design a multi threaded server. there are 2 threads per core, and expect network latency. What data structure is critical?   Answer Question
    • Write a code to determine if a pattern exists in a string.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied via my college recruitment. Got an initial phone round. The phone question was average in difficulty. The question required good knowledge of recursion and hashing. Passed phone round. Was scheduled for onsite in the same week itself. Interviewed at Bloomberg NY HQ. Got my offer within a week of my onsite interview. The interviewers are nice and helpful and the HR are so quick and organized in their interview scheduling and notifying the results.

Bloomberg has a gorgeous office. The interviews are slightly difficult, the interviewers are helpful and guide you if your stuck as long as you keep thinking out loud.

I interviewed on a Thursday and received my offer on the following Monday!! I had a competing offer and they matched it during salary negotiations. They has awesome perks and benefits too.

Interview Questions

• My onsite interview consisted of total 4 rounds. 3 of them were fully technical and one was with the HR. They expect you to answer on paper using pen/pencil rather than white boarding.

Round 1: 2 Senior Devs. I answered about 4 coding questions. They included sorting algos, hashing and DP. Id say they were medium level questions on leetcode.

Round 2: 2 Seniors Devs. Answered 2 questions. These were completely new questions I had never encountered anything such before. They required knowledge of mathematics (line equations, slopes, etc), caching mechanism and distributed systems.

Round 3: HR. Very general Questions.

Round 4: One Very Senior Dev. He asked system design question. What components would you use to design systems, how to architect them, make them salable and justify all your design decisions.

They provide 20 mins lunch break in between. You are uninterrupted here no engineers or HR to talk to just enjoy your meal.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Applied online, heard back from recruiter with in 4 days. Setup first technical round interview of 45 minutes. Interviewer asked very hard, complicated question and asked me to do coding in shared editor. I understood question after 35 minutes. I got to know that he is not going to select me for second round. It looks like he does not want to take interview seriously.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

I first cleared the phone interview and then was called onsite at NYC. The 1st round was a bit difficult and as I did not do well, i got the 2nd interviewer to be a doucbag. He cared least of what I said and was always looking at his fking cell phone. Bloomberg suks!