Bloomberg L.P. Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 23, 2017
3,624 Interview Reviews

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2017.

Interview

Got an email from HR to give my availability for a phone interview. The interviewer asked me about my resume and one question on HackerRank screen share(it's a text editor not a compiler). The interview was good and I answered the question in time and got a reject next day.

Interview Questions

• Validate a custom binary tree.
      1. For every even level the numbers are odd and aligned in descending order from left to right
      2. For every odd level the numbers are even aligned in descending order from right to left.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online, after one week, it asked me for a phone interview, then take about two weeks to wait for the phone interview, then after one week of the phone interview, an in-house interview was scheduled.

Interview Questions

• First, talk about the resume, the interview asked something about the project listed in the resume.
      Then there is a technique question. The question is about the moving average, then there are some follow-up questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online. HR quickly scheduled a phone screen.

The interviewer asked me to solve a few standard interview problems. I solved the first one without any problems (even after he started imposing some random constraints to make it harder). He then described a second problem, even simpler than the first (remove odd elements from an array. I answered this in probably 10 seconds without any difficulty, but then he asked me to solve the problem in some other arbitrary way (which was neither faster nor more memory efficient). After making the problem as convoluted as possible, he clearly stopped paying attention to the interview. In fact, he asked me after 10 minutes "sorry, wasn't listening, what's your approach?" and then chided me for solving the problem exactly as he had asked!

Overall I found the interviewer's behavior to be extremely disrespectful, and the entire process to be a waste of my time. I would have rather have been given a unit-tested HackerRank exam than an interviewer with a poor grasp of English and the attention span of a goldfish.

Interview Questions

• Solve the two-sum problem. Now solve it while minimizing amortized runtime. Now solve it again while minimizing amortized memory usage.   Answer Question
    • Remove odd numbers from a given array. Now remove them in place. Now solve it again, except solve it by partitioning even and odd elements to either side, then slicing the array (why???). After solving it exactly as described, the interviewer will chide you for not reading his mind and doing something else.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Got a train ticket to New York city and 1 night hotel stay at Fitzgerald Grand Central Hotel. Arrived at the building at 11:30 for a noon interview. They checked my coat, gave me lunch, and took me up to a conference room. Then after a moment, 2 engineers came in to ask me technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Find the kth largest element collectively from 2 sorted integer arrays.   1 Answer
    • Find the k largest elements of a constant input stream of values.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online back in Feb 2017. Received an email to provide availability for phone interview after a week. The phone interview was scheduled for 2 weeks later. It went well but didn't receive any email for a week. Contacted the recruiter and was told that I was invited for the in house interview. Due to weather conditions, my onsite interview got postponed by another week. The experience was good, like everyone else describes. Great office, lovely reception. First interview was with only one interviewer. It went pretty well. Didn't really expect me to code in any specific language. After first interview, was told to wait for 15-20 minutes. Second interview was with 2 interviewers. They were less friendlier but still polite and helpful. Could have done better but came up with solution for both problems. Was told to wait another 15-20 mins and was provided a sandwich for lunch. The weird part was having to sit in a conference room for the entire duration of the interview process. After the wait, was escorted out by another HR. That was when I realized that I would be rejected.

Even though I was happy with my performance, I probably could have done better. The interview process was good overall.

Interview Questions

• 1) Given two integer arrays A and B, where A is larger in size than B, find the intersection of the two arrays, i.e. the elements that are present in both A and B.
      2) Given an unordered list of tasks, where a task is a class that has an id and a parent id, implement a function called killBranch. killBranch would be passed the task id that is to be killed and the unordered list. The function should kill all the children tasks of the parent task needed to be killed and return the updated list. (No brute force solution, or topological sort)
      3) Given a set, return the power set.
      4) Design question.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY).

Interview

Don't apply to this company if you have more than 5 years of experience building software systems as you won't be asked a single question on the Technologies you have learnt or you knowledge of those. It is a great company however for people who have recently graduated with Computer Science degree and all the tricky algorithm questions that you never use in the real world are still fresh in your mind. You must memorize the big O time complexity of all the data structures and some 500 common algorithm questions on Leetcode. I also recommend consolidating all the questions people have mentioned on glassdoor for Software Engineer role and practicing them thoroughly.

The interview process consisted of a Hackerrank interview that lasted an hour. I was asked questions already available on Leetcode(find the longest substring with unique characters, find the list of nodes matching a given value in a tree by doing any tree traversal) and some basic programming questions in Java around static, exceptions, collections etc.
    After that I was invited for an onsite. I had 2 Technical rounds with each round containing 2 interviewers. First round had both of them asking me briefly about my current role and then they asked me to write code on a computer for identifying prime numbers in a range(check Leetcode and memorize the answer that improves performance) and finding hashcode of a long value(check for bit shifting technique on stackoverflow). They also asked me some questions on Java 8 features which I don't think they were interested in knowing the answer as I don't believe they ever used it. Second round had one interviewer asking me to write code on a simple problem requiring sorting a collection using an attribute(I used Treeset and implemented a comparator). Interviewer then asked me what if I changed the Treeset to a Heap to get first k elements and what will be the time complexity of the code. Answer is nlogk. The other interviewer asked me a design question that required processing a large number of files and extracting data from them. I was also asked a simple SQL question that one can answer by doing a regular groupBy and having clause of find count(*)>10.After that I was let go which pretty much made it clear to me that I was rejected. If you are not proceeding to another round(with HR or a hiring manager) after the first 2 rounds, you are most definitely rejected.

Overall, I felt that their office is great with quality free snacks and people seemed to like what they did.Interviewers will not give you any hint whether you are doing good or bad.However as I mentioned earlier, it is not a place that will ask you your knowledge of specific technologies(REST, Angular, Caching, Load Balancing, Spring, BigData etc). Part of this could be that they already have a stable product and most of the time, they are working on adding optimizations to existing product without any significant rewrite using new technologies.

Interview Questions

• Hackerrank questions:
      a) Find longest substring with unique characters in O(n) time.
      b) Find all nodes matching a given value in a Tree.

Onsite round 1
      a) How do you implement hashCode of a long value?
      b) Find all prime numbers in a range(say all prime numbers from 1 to 100).

Onsite round 2
      a) Sort a collection using a calculated attribute(fairly simple calculation on find frequency of occurrence of a word in an array). Then change it to find top K elements using a heap and provide the time compexity.
      b) Design a file processing system that can handle large number of files and extract and aggregate data from them.
      1 Answer

Sales and Analytics Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

I interview for the position in the London office. The interview process - at least in my specific case - was extremely long (around 5 months) and stressful because of that.
    It's structured as follows:

- Numerical Reasoning Test;
    - Phone interview (October), which is merely motivational (very few technical questions) and lasts for about 45minutes;
    - Face-to-face with Analytics and Sales TLs (November). In this specific interview you get grilled with technical questions - so be prepared. Both situational cases and technical questions (define hedging, what is a call option, what is a straddle, sell me an option). In my opinion this was the hardest interview because interviewers are trained to make you feel under pressured and to a certain extent uncomfortable. It lasted for about 1h and 30m;
    - Face-to-face with Managers (February). I loved this interview. I felt like they really wanted to get to know me as a person rather than as a candidate to test my fit in the Bloomberg culture.

Overall, tough and long process. But, in the end, I was offered the position so I guess it was worth the pain. (?)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied through a recruiter. Two phone interviews and an onsite. On the onsite I had 2 interviews, one had two people, one was with one person. On the first interview I had to write a C++ class and forgot a few things until they pointed them out and I corrected it. I think I made too many mistakes in this interview because I did not get a 3rd or 4th interview.

Even though I assumed I didn't get the job, oddly enough Bloomberg never let me know or contacted me after the interview like they promised. I thought this was very unprofessional. They even sent me an email to fill out a survey about my experience a few weeks later without telling me I didn't get the job.

Interview Questions

• C++ Data structure and data processing algorithm questions similar to CTCI   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Linked List all the way. Was asked a basic questions about Linked List, followed by some more complex ways of dealing with likedlist and maintaining order, sorting while copying, etc,

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2017.

Interview

I am going to preface this by saying that I haven't gotten an offer yet, because I only interviewed recently, but I will update this post on my status later.

The process started with a phone interview, though I've heard a bunch of people having to do a prerecorded interview. I didn't hear back about the phone interview for about a month after submitting my application, so I started getting worried, but eventually I heard back.

The phone interview was very relaxed, it lasted around 30 minutes. The woman who I spoke to was from HR and asked some very basic questions about my background and why I was interested in the position. She ended by asking me what I'm following in the markets. I heard back around 2 and a half weeks later that I had moved on to the final round Super Day.

The Super Day was a BLAST. A group of around 9 of us showed up at 9am. We started the day by shadowing an Analytics Representative. The woman who I shadowed was very young and easy to talk to. She answered all of my questions and we had a really good conversation.

From there we moved on to a tour of the building. It's gorgeous, you'll love it.

After having seen what Analytics reps actually do, we moved on to a simulation of the job. This part was really cool. They sat all of us down in the training room in front of a Terminal and explained its basic functionality. They really want you to do well and don't expect anyone to have any previous knowledge of the Terminal. We were given a sheet with some functions that helped us as well as the actual answers that the "clients" would be asking. You have 30 minutes to deal with fake inquiries from two different clients. It is designed to sort of trick you up, but it's meant to test your client service skills. One of the clients will get annoyed with you but it's fine, you just have to show that you know how to be polite and respectful. The time flies by.

After the simulation, we found a table near the training room and worked through a team exercise. It was pretty standard if you've been to any sort of leadership development program. They put you in an unlikely scenario and want to see how you come to a consensus as a group. It was really fun actually.

We ended the Super Day with two 30 minute interviews; one with an Analytics rep and the other with a Sales rep. The questions are very behavioral and they do not have access to your resumes beforehand (it's kind of their thing). The key is to show your experience through the examples you give. If you can do that and prove your passion for finance and tech as well as your knack for client service your good.

The second interview is with a Sales rep. Largely, it's the same (i.e. their trying to get a feel for why you chose Bloomberg and what you're passionate about). The only difference is that the Sales rep will DEFINITELY ask you to sell them something. Every single person that interviewed with me that day had the same question. The rest of the questions are pretty light. If you can hold a conversation with them, you'll be fine. They're not intimidating at all, they want you to succeed as much as everyone else.

From there, we went down to the Link and got some free soup and were let out around 12pm.

All-in-all it was a very fun day.

Interview Questions

• Sell me something.   1 Answer
    • Tell me about something you're following in the markets.   1 Answer