Bloomberg L.P. Applications Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bloomberg L.P. Applications Engineer Interview Questions

3.2

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

I met Bloomberg recruiters at the career fair and dropped my resume. I spoke to them for 5-6 minutes but wasn't sure if they liked me or not. They called me the same day and scheduled an interview for the following day at my school campus. The interview was a 45 minute technical interview led by 2 mid-level employees. I stumbled a lot but they seemed to like me. I got a call back the same day to schedule another interview for the next day. It was another 45 minute technical interview led by other 2 mid-level employees. I did really well in this interview and I was called back the same day again to schedule the final interview for the following week (again on my school campus).
    The final interview was suppose to be 45 minutes of behavioral interview and a 45 minute technical interview. The behavioral interview was with an HR person and it was very short, it only took 15 minutes. Then the technical interview was led by a high level employee. The questions were difficult, I failed to give the correct answer but the interviewer seemed to like my thinking process. I was told that they would get back to me in a week and I was offered a job a week later. I was given three weeks to make my decision. They also flew me out to visit Bloomberg before I had to make my decision. Their offer was by far the best offer I received, so I accepted the job offer.

Interview Questions

• Given a matrix where all columns and rows are sorted and an integer k. How would you find k in the matrix?   2 Answers

Negotiation

There was no negotiation.

Financial Applications Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Found position via University Career center and met with representitives at Engineering Career fair. At the fair, they asked basic questions on some programming (why use linked lists vs arrays) and another simple brain teaser while looking at my resume. They then schedule an interview for the next day. During the interview they went over my resume and then asked technical questions that ranged from writing psuedo-code to critical thinking problems.

Interview Questions

• Given prices for stocks on 10 days, write a program that would suggest the best day to buy and best day to sell. (The not brute force way)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Baltimore, MD) in February 2013.

Interview

Talked to an alumni who is currently in that position in university career fair. Got an on-campus interview right after this career fair, and then applied online. I was interviewed by two Chinese software engineer, who were really nice and instructed me in answering interview questions. Though I have not practiced C/C++ for a long time, previous reviews on Glassdoor and some reviews on data structure and algorithms are pretty useful.

Interview Questions

• find the unique numbers in an array.   1 Answer
    • add up all digit in a given integer   Answer Question
    • background and why my master degree may help me in work for Bloomberg   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Boston, MA) in February 2013.

Interview

I was chosen for an interview from a college career fair for this position. The interviewer seemed nice and the questions were not hard, however if you did not know the programming questions there is no chance that you will be offered a position. as an engineering student and not a computer science major, the programing prerequisite seemed unfair, especially when they told me at the fair that it wouldn't be a problem.

Financial Applications Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2012.

Interview

On-campus interview following university career fair. Two interviewers, both computer science people. Very unprofessional, one was wearing torn jeans and sandals and the other was playing with phone/texting during interview. Very young interviewers.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about extracting individual digits from, and reversing the order of a 6 digit number in any programming language you are familiar with. Write out code on blank piece of paper.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in October 2012.

Interview

First talked with their representatives on a career fair at my university. Then an on-campus interview with one employee from them. Later on got invited to on-site interview. Fly to their New York Office and was led to interview with two people for about an hour. They cared more about technical questions than who I am. Pretty much all technical questions.

Interview Questions

• how to cut a 7-piece gold in two cut so that you can pay one employee one piece of gold for 7 days.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in May 2012.

Interview

Applied online.

1 week later, was invited to take an online IQ type test, which was straightforward and mostly knowledge independent (some basic graph theory helps with a very small number of the questions, but not worth spending time on if you don't already know it).

2 weeks after taking the test, I received an email that I was through to the next round, a phone interview, which happened 1 further week later. Phone interviewer was pleasant. Started with general questions about my background, why Bloomberg and the usual stuff then some technical questions. This interview is about knowing data structures and algorithms with minimal emphasis on coding. Nothing to be scared about.

Unfortunately, I blew it by preparing for the wrong thing/nervousness over first interview so no details about later rounds.

Interview Questions

• Given a sorted sequence of 1 million numbers, write a program to find all pairs of numbers that add to 10.   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in March 2012.

Interview

Sumbit my resume to on campus recruiter. Got email a week later with link to apply online. was asked to take a 30 question online iq test. i passed so then i received a phone interview going over some programming questions. i thought i bombed that but then i got invited onsite for an interview with two of the engineers. they asked me more technical questions and brain teasers which i all got right, but then i got an email saying i didnt get it.

Interview Questions

• when will be the next three palindrome dates?   1 Answer
    • write out in a programming language of your desire how to sort two different ascending arrays of numbers into a single ascending array   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in January 2012.

Interview

First was an online IQ type test followed by a phone interview. The "IQ test" consisted of word problems, image manipulation questions, word searches and other questions. Have a pen and paper ready because you will probably want it.

Interview Questions

• Identify how many times a single word appears in a word search.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in December 2011.

Interview

I applied online for the financial application engineer position since I am not from CS, and got the email to do an IQ test, but was rejected, because I did not finish the test actually.