Bloomberg L.P. Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3,700 Interview Reviews

3.1

R&D Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

First round was a phone interview with a developer in the company. I was asked to login to a web app which was a programming environment. The screen was shared as the phone was on speakerphone. .

Interview Questions

• Output the each digit of the number "356243234" backwards and individually without using the string library.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

It was a phone interview with screen sharing. The interview started with the interviewer asking me to introduce myself and then asked me about any exciting projects I worked on. Then after 10 minutes, the technical interview started.

Interview Questions

• In-place node swapping in a linked-list such that all odd position nodes come first followed by all the even position nodes and return the head node pointer.   Answer Question
    • Given an input string and a number n, return all the characters that are repeated atleast n times in the input string as a vector of characters.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY).

Interview

Don't apply to this company if you have more than 5 years of experience building software systems as you won't be asked a single question on the Technologies you have learnt or you knowledge of those. It is a great company however for people who have recently graduated with Computer Science degree and all the tricky algorithm questions that you never use in the real world are still fresh in your mind. You must memorize the big O time complexity of all the data structures and some 500 common algorithm questions on Leetcode. I also recommend consolidating all the questions people have mentioned on glassdoor for Software Engineer role and practicing them thoroughly.

The interview process consisted of a Hackerrank interview that lasted an hour. I was asked questions already available on Leetcode(find the longest substring with unique characters, find the list of nodes matching a given value in a tree by doing any tree traversal) and some basic programming questions in Java around static, exceptions, collections etc.
    After that I was invited for an onsite. I had 2 Technical rounds with each round containing 2 interviewers. First round had both of them asking me briefly about my current role and then they asked me to write code on a computer for identifying prime numbers in a range(check Leetcode and memorize the answer that improves performance) and finding hashcode of a long value(check for bit shifting technique on stackoverflow). They also asked me some questions on Java 8 features which I don't think they were interested in knowing the answer as I don't believe they ever used it. Second round had one interviewer asking me to write code on a simple problem requiring sorting a collection using an attribute(I used Treeset and implemented a comparator). Interviewer then asked me what if I changed the Treeset to a Heap to get first k elements and what will be the time complexity of the code. Answer is nlogk. The other interviewer asked me a design question that required processing a large number of files and extracting data from them. I was also asked a simple SQL question that one can answer by doing a regular groupBy and having clause of find count(*)>10.After that I was let go which pretty much made it clear to me that I was rejected. If you are not proceeding to another round(with HR or a hiring manager) after the first 2 rounds, you are most definitely rejected.

Overall, I felt that their office is great with quality free snacks and people seemed to like what they did.Interviewers will not give you any hint whether you are doing good or bad.However as I mentioned earlier, it is not a place that will ask you your knowledge of specific technologies(REST, Angular, Caching, Load Balancing, Spring, BigData etc). Part of this could be that they already have a stable product and most of the time, they are working on adding optimizations to existing product without any significant rewrite using new technologies.

Interview Questions

• Hackerrank questions:
      a) Find longest substring with unique characters in O(n) time.
      b) Find all nodes matching a given value in a Tree.

Onsite round 1
      a) How do you implement hashCode of a long value?
      b) Find all prime numbers in a range(say all prime numbers from 1 to 100).

Onsite round 2
      a) Sort a collection using a calculated attribute(fairly simple calculation on find frequency of occurrence of a word in an array). Then change it to find top K elements using a heap and provide the time compexity.
      b) Design a file processing system that can handle large number of files and extract and aggregate data from them.
      1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online back in Feb 2017. Received an email to provide availability for phone interview after a week. The phone interview was scheduled for 2 weeks later. It went well but didn't receive any email for a week. Contacted the recruiter and was told that I was invited for the in house interview. Due to weather conditions, my onsite interview got postponed by another week. The experience was good, like everyone else describes. Great office, lovely reception. First interview was with only one interviewer. It went pretty well. Didn't really expect me to code in any specific language. After first interview, was told to wait for 15-20 minutes. Second interview was with 2 interviewers. They were less friendlier but still polite and helpful. Could have done better but came up with solution for both problems. Was told to wait another 15-20 mins and was provided a sandwich for lunch. The weird part was having to sit in a conference room for the entire duration of the interview process. After the wait, was escorted out by another HR. That was when I realized that I would be rejected.

Even though I was happy with my performance, I probably could have done better. The interview process was good overall.

Interview Questions

• 1) Given two integer arrays A and B, where A is larger in size than B, find the intersection of the two arrays, i.e. the elements that are present in both A and B.
      2) Given an unordered list of tasks, where a task is a class that has an id and a parent id, implement a function called killBranch. killBranch would be passed the task id that is to be killed and the unordered list. The function should kill all the children tasks of the parent task needed to be killed and return the updated list. (No brute force solution, or topological sort)
      3) Given a set, return the power set.
      4) Design question.
      Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

I applied Bloomberg through employee referral, and got the technique phone interview in one week. And gave you three weeks to prepare.

Technique phone interview process:
    1. Described my internship experience and asked the details of my project.
    2. What was the most challenge thing in your internship and how did you solve it
    3. Tested my algorithm questions and gave me some test cases to test my codes.

Interview Questions

• 1. arrange all zeros in an array to the end
      2. Add digits
      1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Got a train ticket to New York city and 1 night hotel stay at Fitzgerald Grand Central Hotel. Arrived at the building at 11:30 for a noon interview. They checked my coat, gave me lunch, and took me up to a conference room. Then after a moment, 2 engineers came in to ask me technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Find the kth largest element collectively from 2 sorted integer arrays.   1 Answer
    • Find the k largest elements of a constant input stream of values.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2017.

Interview

A phone interview about 45 minutes, including some basic behavior questions and 2 technical questions.

Used hackerrank for the coding part. The question is not difficult. I was only asked to write the code to solve the problem, no need to provide test case.

Interview Questions

• Behavior questions like "why Bloomberg" and "describe one of your project" ...   Answer Question
    • Tech question1 : Linkedlist cycle. Find if there is a cycle in one linkedlist.   Answer Question
    • Tech question2 : Find the intersection of two integer arrays. There might be duplicates in the arrays.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online, got callback for phone screen a couple weeks later. Was called on-site about a week after phone screen (I had to postpone for a couple months, and Bloomberg was very accommodating). Got a response within 3-4 days after the on-site interview.

Software Architect Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2017.

Interview

HR call was short. Few questions included the reasons I am leaving, salary expectations, location, some definition of the position within the company,
    Tech interview was over the phone. Questions about web, windows and networking, some detailed below. Interviewer was really good. Clearly presented the question, helped a bit if needed and summarized the interview. Overall very professional and friendly. I dont have much experience in the areas we were discussing (switching domain) so answered as much as I could. Unlikely I am passed but it was a good experience for me and I learned.

Interview Questions

• Vulnerabilities related to JS   1 Answer
    • If you could do hash collision, what would be possible to break?   1 Answer
    • Certificates, CAs etc   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online sometime in Nov 2016. Received a mail from them in March 2017 that they want to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was exactly as expected with the same questions:
    The only unexpected part was that the interviewer was NOT friendly, neither was he encouraging. The interviewer was one of those who seemed disinterested and instead of understanding my logic, kept asking "Why does this test case fails". I made a silly mistake but I could have nailed it had the interviewer been at least little encouraging. Within 2 minutes of the end of the interview, I could run all the test cases - the error was so minor! I accept minor mistakes do cost jobs and take full responsibility, however,the interviewer was pretty disinterested which added to my problems. I provided a O(n) solution whereas the interview told me he does not think there is a solution better than O(n^2) which was , again, discouraging. Because, there definitely was a O(n) solution.
    Overall - my experience was bad.

Interview Questions

• 1. Tell me about yourself
      2. Why Bloomberg
      3. Tell me about your internship experience
      4. Coding question: given a array and a number k, find a contiguous longest subarray having sum <=k.
      Answer Question