Bloomberg L.P. Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3,539 Interview Reviews

3.1

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied online. Contacted by a recruiter a month later. Hour long phone screen with collaborative edited coding challenge, standard. Invited onsite for several rounds of interviews, technical were 2-on-1.

Application

Interview

Pretty straight-forward process. Applied online and heard back from them within a month. They said they were interested in a phone screen. 45-minute phone screen and I hear back that they are interested in having me on-site. They pay for my flight into NY and hotel accommodation. On-site included an office tour and two pair programming interviews which I didn't do well in,

Interview Questions

• Check if a string is a palindrome. Scale this up to process faster (was looking for multi-threading concepts)   Answer Question
    • Implement a Stack using a LinkedList   Answer Question
    • Trim a tree upto a given height and sum all the nodes below to add to the value of the leaf node   1 Answer
    • Write an algorithm to check the correctness of a Sudoku puzzle solution   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY).

Interview

The WORST company I have ever interviewed with. Nothing against the interviewers, they were awesome and helpful. Its the recruitment process that's astonishingly disorganized. First of all, interviewers failed to show up twice for the first interview. Recruiter is slow in rescheduling and responding emails. Then right before the final round for onsite, they canceled my flight and interview just a few days before the final round onsite interview saying that they've found enough interns. Bloomberg is notorious at my school for rejecting people unreasonably and having disorganized recruitment process, this didn't just happen to me but a lot of my friends as well, Yes, their scheduled interviews were canceled because Bloomberg found enough interns.

Interview Questions

• Why Bloomberg? Data structure questions such as HashMap, reversing a linked list, sparse matrix multiplication.....   Answer Question

Government Relations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Princeton, NJ).

Interview

Applied via LinkedIn, no cover letter. Invited to do a video interview (1 min responses to various personal questions). Moved on to a video interview with the bosses. Good interview, nice HR people, didn't get the offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

I got an opportunity to interview with Bloomberg through referral. A recruiter contacted me by second week of November to schedule the phone interview. I was asked for a set of convenient dates. The phone interview used HackerRank coding console, the interviewer was very knowledgable and I was questioned on very minute details as I was coding. I was confident that I would be called for onsite interview and it eventually happened a week later.

Everything about my travel was taken care by the recruiter. During the interview day, a HR person toured us through the office. Then the technical interview started, I prepared myself to solve any question that you can find in glassdoor, but no luck; and my learning from this interview is that one should be really familiar with the different approaches of solving the question; given the time complexity requirement. My advice for the candidates who are preparing for Bloomberg's interview is that do not take this interview so lightly; the interviewers here are very knowledgable and be prepared with the list of different problem solving approaches.

Interview Questions

• 1. Phone interview - Sort the characters in string by frequency and then by their alphabetical order.
      Example - bbaaccc -> cccaabb
      2. The question that screwed me - given array is [0,1,1,0,1,1,1] ; output should be [0,1,1,0,1,2,3]
      ie., for every non-zero element in array, find its distance to the nearest zero in O(n) time. i would definitely encourage the candidates who read this post to share their solution for this question.
      3. In order traversal of Binary search tree related (the solution is to start from right sub tree).
      13 Answers

Financial Product Analytics and Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

I had one online video interview that went well. They asked a question then I had 90 seconds to think of a 60 second answer. Asked 5 questions about the current market, my experience in sales, my past internships, and about the terminal.

Interview Questions

• Asked 5 questions about the current market, sales, prior experiences, and the terminal.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

Two initial phone interviews and then a technical phone interview. Technical phone interview consisted of talking about my resume and 2 technical questions; was able to answer the second one fairly quickly. Received an email a few days later stating that they wanted me to interview on-site.

Flew out to New York (airfare and hotel were paid for) and interviewed in their main office in Manhattan. Received a tour of the office which was amazing and then quickly got into interviews.

First round was 2-on-1. Interviewers introduced themselves and started asking me about my resume/projects. Both were very nice and open to answering any questions I had. 2 technical questions, 1 algorithm and 1 design. Thought I did pretty OK on these (ran out of time during the second question because they wanted to allow time for me to ask questions).

Second round was 1-on-1 with a senior engineer. More questions about resume and then got into rapid-fire, language-specific questions. Told him my main language is Python but he insisted on asking me C++ concepts. 1 technical questions which was fairly difficult but I was able to mostly solve it.

Finished and asked the interviewer whether I'm to stay in the room or not. He hesitated but ended up staying that I should stay in the room (thought I'd made it to the 3rd round). Leaves and comes back 10 minutes later informing me that he screwed up and that he has to walk me out. Bummer.

Interview Questions

• Deep copy a linked-list with next pointers and random pointers.   Answer Question
    • Find the floor of the square root of a number without using special, math functions.   1 Answer
    • Design question about web traffic; recording 'hits' and print top-10 most visited websites (both in constant time).   Answer Question
    • Difference between public/protected/private variables in C++.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Jersey City, NJ) in December 2016.

Interview

one round phone interview first about an hour.
    four rounds onsite interview, first round was Algorithm questions. Second round was design questions. Third was HR behavior questions. The last one was interview with manager. Got offer call from HR two days after onsite day.

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

My process was 4 steps which included an online application, virtual interview, phone screen/ interview, and lastly a super day.

Virtual interview. For this I was sent a link and given a few days to complete it. A question would pop up on the screen and you would have a minute to prepare a one minute answer, only one try! My questions were basic and included, what do you expect to be doing in the position? Tell me about a recent financial event and why a client could find our terminals useful for evaluating the event. Tell me about a time you went above and beyond for a client at work.

The phone screen was pretty light, if you can get through the first round theres no reason why you cant get past this. Mine was a few more basic questions similar to what I have listed above as well as HR eligibility questions. Here's a good time to really show why you are interested in Bloomberg.

Maybe a week after I got an invite for a super-day. If you are far from the office they will fly you in or provide you with a train, as well as a hotel. The super day was about 4 hours and the order of activities ranges depending on what group you are in. For mine there was 4 main parts which consisted of a tour, group activity, 2 30 min one on one interviews, and a Q&A session. The tour and Q&A are very laid back. I think the time to really show your self is in the group work and interviews, mainly the interviews. One will likely be with a higher up in Sales and the other with a higher up in analytics. For analytics just know the basic function, your there to provide assistance to clients. For sales be prepared to sell something!!! I did a role play where I could pick what i wanted to sell, for this I sold my watch. I heard of other people having to sell the pen or water bottle that was on the table. Be sure to grab their emails and write a nice follow up.

Last advice. There will be no technical's, unless you find a way to bring them into the interview, which is good if you know the material well. Without a doubt the best 2 things to do are research Bloomberg and the position and be familiar with MARKET NEWS! This will come up, I would recommend knowing one current topic really well. This was long but it should be helpful haha, good luck!!!

Also I got an offer roughly 2 weeks after the superday.

Intelligence Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Princeton, NJ) in December 2016.

Interview

5 rounds: First, I had to record a video of myself and I was prompted with 7 questions. Then, I had to do a writing assessment. Then, I had a skype interview. Then, I had a super day, followed by one more skype interview.

None of these steps were too intimidating, just the process was long. The company is really great and everyone that I interviewed with was very friendly and welcoming. The recruiter was also really helpful and sweet. The company really treats you well and the culture is unparalleled to anyone else.