Bloomberg L.P. Sales and Analytics Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bloomberg L.P. Sales and Analytics Interview Questions

Interviews at Bloomberg L.P.

3.1

Sales and Analytics Interview

Interview

15 minute phone interview and then on campus interview. phone interview was standard and behavioral. On campus interview was a two on one interview with tough questions on current financial news and questions on what you think of Bloomberg

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in September 2012.

Interview

Applied online with a referral through a friend. Received an email the next day to set up a phone interview. Phone interview was very standard: walk me through your resume, what do you know about the position, why Bloomberg? The next day received an email to come in for an in-person interview in the NYC office. The offices are very nice, and all the interviewers gather on a couch on the main floor. Then current analysts came and took perspective interviews in groups of two for a tour of the building and job shadow. My guide came off as snotty and made it seem like the job was the best thing out there. Be forewarned this is a customer service job. You basically do the grunt work the bankers and traders don't want to do, like creating excel models.

After the tour we were led to separate rooms for the interview. I met one woman from Analytics who was visibly hungover, and a man from sales. They asked me basic interview questions about my resume and my previous experience. The woman asked me if I was more interested in equities or fixed income and why. The man asked me to give him a sales pitch for a pen on the desk. I spoke to them for about 25 minutes but could tell half way through I would not be getting the position.

The interviewers told me I could go back down and wait on the couch. I could tell the sales guy was watching me from the other side of the room. I think they want to see if you are cool and collected after the interview, not fidgeting or playing with your phone. All the candidates returned to the couch around the same time; some had mentioned that they would be speaking to another group. If you were not asked to do a second round you NOT be working at Bloomberg. After about 45 minutes a few HR reps came down to show a few candidates out. They thank you for your time and let you know they will be making a decision next week. A few days later they email you saying thanks but they are going in another direction.

Overall most people I met did not have finance backgrounds or degrees. I think they lean towards people they can train from the ground up.

Interview Questions

• Give me your best sales pitch?

Why are you passionate about the equity markets?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (San Francisco, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

Received a phone interview after applying online. First round phone interview was with someone from HR. She had to reschedule the phone interview with me day of because she had a meeting at our originally scheduled time. She then called me 20 minutes late (which is unheard of) for our actual phone interview, did not apologize for being late, did not give a reason, and proceeded to give me 10 minutes of her time before hanging up and said I'd hear back in a week. She seemed hurried and completely disinterested. Terrible experience, worst phone interview experience, and I did not expect a second round.

Was invited for second round to Bloomberg's NYC office for the position in San Francisco because it was closer to my current location. They paid for my flight. Day of interview, I first shadowed someone for about 30 minutes. Then, I had a teleconference interview with manager from San Francisco office and then a 1:1 interview with a manager at the NYC office.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in January 2012.

Interview

Applied online, got back to me the next day to set up a phone interview. Phone interview about 2 weeks after initial contact. Basic questions about resume, why you want to be in sales and why finance. Biggest issue in the economy. What does Bloomberg do. What does the terminal do?

Paying for me to fly out to NYC and putting me up in a hotel. I assume that there will be a ton of people at the interview. Currently in commercial banking trying to get into the financial services industry seems like a good way to break in, and network.

Interview Questions

• What professional accomplishment were you most proud of.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in October 2011.

Interview

Phone Interview --> Office tour, Interview with two senior officers. A young office and vibe, but that's presumably due to high turnover. The job seemed very irritating and I was very turned off by it. Just couldn't imagine having to answer other peoples questions all day, would rather be asking the questions.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume.   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time where you had trouble making a sale and how you went about solving this problem   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in July 2011.

Interview

Very standard interview.
    Where did you heard about this position?
    Describe the terminal to someone who has never heard of it
    Tell a time when you went above and beyond to help a customer
    where you want to be in your career next

I seriously thought I did well and the interviewer seemed friendly and very interested. The interview even lasted longer than 30 minutes. Honestly don't know what went wrong. oh well.

Interview Questions

• describe the terminal to someone who has never heard of it.   1 Answer

Application

Interview

I applied directly online at Bloomberg's career website. Heard back the next day to schedule a phone interview (great HR!). The interviewer was very nice and sounded enthusiastic about the company and what it does. She started off asking about what I know about Bloomberg, the position, and why do I want to work for Bloomberg. Lets me stress again: What do you know about Bloomberg, what do you know of this position, and WHY DO YOU WANT TO WORK FOR THEM. She than asked pretty specific questions off my resume; how my previous experiences applies to the position, if I had any previous sales experience how did I managed a difficult client, and why I quit my previous position. She didn't ask me any of the usual interview questions, she pretty much led the entire interview, so your mileage may vary.
    You have to convince her why you want to work for Bloomberg and why you want to work in Sells. I wasn't very enthusiastic about being a sells person as this program apparently is a dead end from what I hear.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Bloomberg?   Answer Question
    • How would you sell the Bloomberg Terminal to someone who's never seen it before?   Answer Question
    • How did you manage a difficult client in the past? What was the outcome?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in April 2009.

Interview

First interview was a phone interview. About 15-20 mins with an analytics representative. Basic questions like, "tell me about your view on the market", "tell me about the most recent financial article you read", and "name 3 other companies you'd rather work for other than your current employer and Bloomberg - and why?"

Second interview was in person at HQ in NYC. 50+ people there. 2 thirty min interviews in a massive room while everyone else was doing the same.

last interview was a new visit to HQ and 1-1 with director of analytics. Offered job later that day. Really quick turn around.

Interview Questions

• Name 3 other companies you'd want to work for other than your current employer and Bloomberg and why?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about your opinion on the economy and do you think we will go into a double dip recession? Why or why not?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No. Firm offer, no wiggle room for moving expenses. This was during the recession, too so not much leverage for the interviewee.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in May 2010.

Interview

After a phone interview with some technical questions and some personal ones, I was invited to bloomberg's hq in nyc. a 4 hour interview there involved an hour long tour, 2 hours trailing and observing employees, and a 2 on 1 interview with management where technical and personal questions were asked. you don't have to know TOO much aboutf inance for sales and analytics positions but do know about bloomberg's share in the market, and the finance community in general

Interview Questions

bloomberg seemed like an amazing place to work but the sales & analytics position was simply boring and basically like "pledging"

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in November 2009.

Interview

Contacted by and HR representative. She was friendly and asked what I knew about the position and what I knew about Bloomberg besides the Bloomberg Professional Service. She said that I would hear back in a week or so. I asked questions and she answered them in detail explaining the position more thoroughly.