Bloomberg L.P. Sales and Analytics Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 19, 2017

3.1

163 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Sales and Analytics Interview

Interview

15 minute phone interview and then on campus interview. phone interview was standard and behavioral. On campus interview was a two on one interview with tough questions on current financial news and questions on what you think of Bloomberg

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in November 2012.

Interview

There was a brief phone interview which was very scripted. Later that night I was informed by email that I would be moving onto the next round on site. The on site interview consisted of a terminal activity for all of the candidates and then a personal interview with two Bloomberg employees. Bloomberg paid for flights, hotel, and additional travel expenses.

Interview Questions

• What do you think of the latest Bloomberg Businessweek cover?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in September 2012.

Interview

Applied online with a referral through a friend. Received an email the next day to set up a phone interview. Phone interview was very standard: walk me through your resume, what do you know about the position, why Bloomberg? The next day received an email to come in for an in-person interview in the NYC office. The offices are very nice, and all the interviewers gather on a couch on the main floor. Then current analysts came and took perspective interviews in groups of two for a tour of the building and job shadow. My guide came off as snotty and made it seem like the job was the best thing out there. Be forewarned this is a customer service job. You basically do the grunt work the bankers and traders don't want to do, like creating excel models.

After the tour we were led to separate rooms for the interview. I met one woman from Analytics who was visibly hungover, and a man from sales. They asked me basic interview questions about my resume and my previous experience. The woman asked me if I was more interested in equities or fixed income and why. The man asked me to give him a sales pitch for a pen on the desk. I spoke to them for about 25 minutes but could tell half way through I would not be getting the position.

The interviewers told me I could go back down and wait on the couch. I could tell the sales guy was watching me from the other side of the room. I think they want to see if you are cool and collected after the interview, not fidgeting or playing with your phone. All the candidates returned to the couch around the same time; some had mentioned that they would be speaking to another group. If you were not asked to do a second round you NOT be working at Bloomberg. After about 45 minutes a few HR reps came down to show a few candidates out. They thank you for your time and let you know they will be making a decision next week. A few days later they email you saying thanks but they are going in another direction.

Overall most people I met did not have finance backgrounds or degrees. I think they lean towards people they can train from the ground up.

Interview Questions

• Give me your best sales pitch?

Why are you passionate about the equity markets?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (San Francisco, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

I had a very interesting interview experience with Bloomberg in San Fran. I chatted on the phone with a lady for my first initial interview for about half an hour and it seemed really simple. Eventually I got an email that they were willing to fly me out to San Fran to do more interviewing. During this whole process I was constantly in contact with a variety of different people in the Bloomberg office in NY and San Fran between travel plans and interviewing so they seem to have a large and efficient process for handling applicants.

I wanted to do well in this interview and tried to prep the best I could for it. For this role I think they are looking for more finance people that are sales oriented than marketing people who are finance oriented if that makes sense. I had compiled lists of questions from Glassdoor that they might ask me and had answers for all of them and still wasn't prepared for what awaited me in there.

I shadowed a few of the guys who are currently working in sales and analytics for FX/Commodities and they seemed really cool and laid back but the job is really stressful- tons of flashing colored lights on monitors and juggling tasks and you have to REALLY know what you are doing. If you know the terminal, you will get this job. If you haven't used it before the interview, things won't work out for you.

I interviewed with two people- the lady in charge of the sales and analytics and a man in sales. They asked me a lot about my sales experience and they had a lot of tough questions about the financial markets today. You must know a lot of details about current events in the market and show what you know. I ended up digging myself into a hole during this interview process because I didn't know enough. Eventually they left the room "to discuss if they would need me further" and decided I was done for the day and I basically knew I didn't get the job on the spot. I wasn't a good fit anyways. They followed up with an impersonal email that said "thanks, but no thanks".

I would say I was happy with the overall professional air and quality of this interview had my travel plans not been completely messed up by Bloomberg. They paid for my flights but neglected to tell me that I would have to pay for a $300/night hotel room in San Fran while I was there, plus I spent about $150 in cab rides for only being there about 24 hours. I was under the impression that Bloomberg was going to pay for my hotel, I called the my travel coordinator in the New York office, left her a voicemail about the charges to my credit card and she never called me back. Figures.

Interview Questions

• Why Bloomberg? Why this position? How are you qualified for Sales and Analytics?   Answer Question
    • How is gold doing in markets today? Why do you think that is?   Answer Question
    • Where did you hear about this position?   Answer Question
    • What part of sales and analytics would you like to specialize in? Why?   Answer Question
    • How do companies hedge international currency trade risk?   Answer Question

Sales and Analytics Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in May 2012.

Interview

Not too bad, the recruiter I spoke with was encouraging but truthful. As a finance student in college - bloomberg was what I thought I wanted in a career. The position seemed more sales focused. You're allowed to pick two markets to focus on...but it was still about selling terminals.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (San Francisco, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

Received a phone interview after applying online. First round phone interview was with someone from HR. She had to reschedule the phone interview with me day of because she had a meeting at our originally scheduled time. She then called me 20 minutes late (which is unheard of) for our actual phone interview, did not apologize for being late, did not give a reason, and proceeded to give me 10 minutes of her time before hanging up and said I'd hear back in a week. She seemed hurried and completely disinterested. Terrible experience, worst phone interview experience, and I did not expect a second round.

Was invited for second round to Bloomberg's NYC office for the position in San Francisco because it was closer to my current location. They paid for my flight. Day of interview, I first shadowed someone for about 30 minutes. Then, I had a teleconference interview with manager from San Francisco office and then a 1:1 interview with a manager at the NYC office.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in January 2012.

Interview

Applied online, got back to me the next day to set up a phone interview. Phone interview about 2 weeks after initial contact. Basic questions about resume, why you want to be in sales and why finance. Biggest issue in the economy. What does Bloomberg do. What does the terminal do?

Paying for me to fly out to NYC and putting me up in a hotel. I assume that there will be a ton of people at the interview. Currently in commercial banking trying to get into the financial services industry seems like a good way to break in, and network.

Interview Questions

• What professional accomplishment were you most proud of.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in October 2011.

Interview

Phone Interview --> Office tour, Interview with two senior officers. A young office and vibe, but that's presumably due to high turnover. The job seemed very irritating and I was very turned off by it. Just couldn't imagine having to answer other peoples questions all day, would rather be asking the questions.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume.   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time where you had trouble making a sale and how you went about solving this problem   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in July 2011.

Interview

Very standard interview.
    Where did you heard about this position?
    Describe the terminal to someone who has never heard of it
    Tell a time when you went above and beyond to help a customer
    where you want to be in your career next

I seriously thought I did well and the interviewer seemed friendly and very interested. The interview even lasted longer than 30 minutes. Honestly don't know what went wrong. oh well.

Interview Questions

• describe the terminal to someone who has never heard of it.   1 Answer

Application

Interview

I applied directly online at Bloomberg's career website. Heard back the next day to schedule a phone interview (great HR!). The interviewer was very nice and sounded enthusiastic about the company and what it does. She started off asking about what I know about Bloomberg, the position, and why do I want to work for Bloomberg. Lets me stress again: What do you know about Bloomberg, what do you know of this position, and WHY DO YOU WANT TO WORK FOR THEM. She than asked pretty specific questions off my resume; how my previous experiences applies to the position, if I had any previous sales experience how did I managed a difficult client, and why I quit my previous position. She didn't ask me any of the usual interview questions, she pretty much led the entire interview, so your mileage may vary.
    You have to convince her why you want to work for Bloomberg and why you want to work in Sells. I wasn't very enthusiastic about being a sells person as this program apparently is a dead end from what I hear.

Interview Questions

• How did you manage a difficult client in the past? What was the outcome?   Answer Question
    • How would you sell the Bloomberg Terminal to someone who's never seen it before?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for Bloomberg?   Answer Question