Bloomberg L.P. Senior Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bloomberg L.P. Senior Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Jan 29, 2017

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiting company. 2 rounds of phone interviews for 2 different teams, so total of 4 phone interview. Interviewers were reasonable folks and they get back to you pretty quickly. On-site interview for two teams: one team before lunch and second one after lunch. You talk to two people at a time for technical questions. Then talked to teams manager's manager, then his manager, then HR person. Recruiter told me that if you start talking managers then >90% chance that you get offer. Coming from other tech companies (Google, Facebook), I was very surprised with on-site interview process though.
1) They kick you out of the building during lunch. You have to find your own lunch, pay for it and come back. This is the first time seeing such a ridiculous process. Let somebody accompany the candidate to do "lunch interview" and ask candidates to pay for themselves. It's not about money, it's about respect.
2) Interviews can go as long as they wish (50 minutes or 90 minutes). In between interviews you can wait long time. Basically I waited 20-30 minute between each interview wondering if anybody was coming. They know this and that's why they book you for much longer than actually needed. I was asked to come back at 12:45PM - I came earlier to be sure I'm not late (12:30PM) and I had to wait until 1:30PM in lobby. I felt like they didn't care about my time - their time was more important.
3) ) Surprisingly story: HR person told me to just email my meal receipts. But recruiter refused to reimburse for the meals, because Bloomberg "doesn't cover meals". Weird. NYC definitely has different culture than SF or Seattle.

Interview Questions

• Questions were generally simple, e.g. check if two linked lists intersect.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2016.

Interview

Interviewer was cool and honest, I logged in hackerrank and interviewer called me on time and posted query on hacker rack, I had written the program but I was asked to improve the performance of the program but I had written by dividing the array howerver interviewer was expecting another way and I got rejected.

Interview Questions

• Given an array like [-1, 2, 3, 5, 4, 6] and it should print the 3 that is order of the array is equal to array element   6 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

More specifically, this was for the role of NDIS Senior Software Developer. I received a HackerRank challenge with 3 questions and a 90 minute limit. The input arguments to the questions questions were worded in a misleading way, and I had to use trial-and-error to determine the correct input and/or output data types. I did fairly well as determined by the number and percentage of passing tests, but I received a rejection email anyway.

Interview Questions

• Given a positive integer N, write a function to return a list of the first N fibonacci numbers in order. For example, if N=5, the output list is 0 1 1 2 3.   3 Answers
    • GIven a list of strings, return a list of strings of equal length. For each input string, if it is an IPv4 address, output "IPv4". If an IPv6 address, output "IPv6". If neither, output "Neither".   Answer Question
    • Given a list of integers A and an integer k, return the number of unique pairs of integers in A that sum to k. For example, if A=[1 2 5 5 10 8 2] and k=10, the answer is 2, arrived as 5+5 or 2+8. There were 15 tests for this question, with at least the last two timing out, given that the implementation was not as efficient as possible.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

The interview flow was pretty straight forward - 1. Phone screen ( 3 coding questions - 1 hour long) 2. Onsite - 2 Rounds (2 on 1)- all coding. Usually if you are through in the 2 you will have more rounds. Looks like i did not clear them.

Interview Questions

• Phone Screen -
      1. WAP to check if a string is palindrome ( best solution expected )
      2. WAP if a number is palindrome ( eg - 12321, again best solution expected )
      3. WAP to check if a given binary tree is symmetric or not. - i coded two different ways. Got it right at second attempt as the first one did not satisfy all the test cases.

Onsite -
      Interview 1 - 20 mins back ground and questions on your resume. what was your contribution and how did you make it better etc. Will check how deeply you know your resume.

Problem - Given an Iterator of Iterators (Object - no particular class specified) which is taken in as a stream of input - how will you flatten it and implement an Iterator over it ? Interviewer was very specific that I cannot flatten the whole input in constructor as it is a stream. What different test cases will I consider.

Interview 2 -
      10 mins of questions on resume - this time not so deep.

Problem 1 - How will you design and implement tax slab system. He was looking for a method which takes in tax brackets as %s and gives back the tax amount.

Problem 2 - How will you implement a spell check. - This was a Trie implementation. I could not code this completely. Questions about the time and space complexity of the same
      1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY).

Interview

Initially i was contacted by a head hunter. I was asked to send my resume. After resume selection there was first telephonic. there were 2 people who asked varied questions on c++. Then there was a second telephonic where again i was probed on c++ questions. Then after 2 weeks there was a 3 rd telephonic where i was asked several questions on c++.. After 2 weeks i was called for onsite interview at NY office.

Interview Questions

• - There was 1 linked list based question and other was a data structure question. Both were simple and i was able to do both of them.. - 1 Design Question - HR questions and some problem solving questions... there were total of 4 rounds.. each round had 2 people and final round was with group head.. Design question was based on how to optimize latency and do some probing question.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in December 2015.

Interview

There are 6 rounds of interviews, one of them is lunch. The first 2 rounds are technical interviews.
    The last 3 rounds interview includes 2 managers and 1 HR. The whole process is from 10 am to 4pm. Really really long.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in December 2015.

Interview

It was a phone interview. The interviewer was working from home and his phone was not working properly so I had difficulty hearing him in parts. Then he began asking me questions about my resume. It looked like he hadn't even glanced it cos he said "I hope you know we are looking for c++ developers" whereas I'm a c#.net developer. Then he gave me a coding interview on screen that we both shared. It was a modified and complex version of binary search and i began that first but realized i wouldn't be able to finish because it was a complicated question so i needed to think through it, so instead i rubbed that and gave a basic one, solved it n improvised it. He accepted it but asked me why i didn't do binary search. i explained the logic i would use if i had to optimize it further with binary search. I think for a total time of 15 mins to code, it was a fairly long thought provoking coding question.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in November 2015.

Interview

1 phone interview which includes 3 coding questions.
    onsite interview which has 6 rounds: 2 technical interviews, 1 lunch interview, 2 manager interviews, 1 HR interview.
    The overall interview process is wonderful.
    I like finance industry, so I choose Bloomberg at last.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

Always such a waste of time interviewing here. Do yourself a favor and interview at a real company which will ask actual and relevant questions than a hardcore development quiz which you always end up magically "failing" even though you have answered the questions correctly, and better companies than they have hired you.

Interview Questions

• How do you write an algorithm to count all subsets of strings in a string.   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

Applied online. First had a phone interview. They are only available between 10:00 AM and 4:00 PM, so needed to take time off work. Asked a couple of easy technical questions over an hour and made some changes to the question as I went along. Coding was done online through Hacker Rank.

Went onsite for 4 hours beginning at 10 AM. First round was technical with 2 devs. Second was the same. Third was with HR and 4th was with Hiring Manager. HR was just information on perks, culture, etc. Hiring manager asked algo question, showed me the terminal, and asked behavioral questions.

The onsite went well and I was certain I'd receive an offer, but was contacted by HR saying they wanted someone with C++ experience and asked me to interview for another role. Why was I interviewed if that was going to deter me from getting an offer? No straight answer.

Went onsite again. Went through two technical rounds. Everyone I met so far was nice until the last one. He was easily the rudest, most disrespectful interviewer I've ever had. He was disinterested from the beginning, wanted to leave the second he stepped through the door, didn't ask for my resume, didn't shake my hand, was condescending, and didn't have any actual questions prepped. Needless to say, this round went terribly. He lost interest half way through and essentially ran out, without letting me ask any questions.

All in all, I wasted two vacation days and went through 7 hours of interviewing with 11 people. Apparently one person's opinion is greater than 10. Don't waste your time unless you feel you have the perfect fit.