Bloomberg L.P. Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 8, 2017

3.4

72 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Started with a HR phone screen, and 2 coderpad sessions. Called onsite for 2 additional technical interview, 2 with managers and final with HR. Place looks great, but is certainly a high stress environment

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2017.

Interview

A recruiter from a partner company contacted me via LinkedIn, we had a brief call about my background and resume. After exchanging a few email I was setup for a phone interview with a coding challenge on HackerRank. The interviewer was extremely on time and polite, he asked me about my background, resume, projects and a few behavioral questions like "Why Bloomberg?". After that we went ahead with the coding portion of the interview, I had some difficulty coming up with an efficient solution for the problem, but the interviewer walked me though it and we sort of came up with a solution. After that we had a brief Q&A section and that was it. Not surprises, next day I got a rejection email. I would describe the process until that point very pleasant, make sure you practice as much problems as you can and know your Data Structures. Which I have done better, but oh well, it was very good practice for future interviews.

Interview Questions

• There will be a meeting at New York and San Francisco offices. We will have to fly the participants to either one of these two offices. Let's say each office can accommodate half of the participants. Our goal is to assign each participant to an office in a way that the total travel cost for the company is minimized. What is this minimal cost?
              SF NY
      A 500 700
      B 200 600
      C 400 500
      D 600 200
      Output : 1400 (A:500 + B:200 + C:500 +D: 200)   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

The interview process was pretty elaborate - It started off with a basic HR round, followed by 2 phone interviews which for about an hour each. I was then called for an on-site interview with two different teams which comprised of 2 technical rounds each, after which I was escorted out of the building. The overall process took 3+ months.

While the overall interview experience was good, I was hugely disappointed by the manner in which my rejection was communicated to me. Instead of a detailed email (a constructive feedback/interview analysis would have been appreciated), I received a standard automated rejection email with no personal follow-up from the recruiting team. This left a bitter aftertaste in my mouth!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

Applied on 7/27 and was asked for a non-technical phone screener with HR the next day. After speaking with HR, we determined a specific team I would be best suited for.

Then I applied specifically for this new team within Bloomberg. Received a request for a technical phone/code pair (Hackerrank) interview for 8/17. Due to scheduling conflicts, the technical round was moved to 8/18. I was asked about my background and then to solve this problem (in any language): Given two arrays of sorted integers where array A is large enough to fit all elements in both array A and array B, how would you merge the two arrays together in sorted order? (Hint: Double pointers starting at the last element in each array)

After the first technical, I was invited to an onsite interview in NYC on 8/30. Bloomberg was kind enough to pay for airfare, hotel stay (Manhattan->one night), and corporate taxi (airport->hotel). Each technical round onsite involved two senior engineers.

1st Round (Hackerrank - Any language): Maximize stocks values where you must:
    -- Buy before you sell
    -- Index of input array is the day of stock price
    -- Return maximum profit and index of buy/sell
    -- (Optional) Think about short selling (selling before you buy)

2nd Round (Hackerrank - Any language): Given a string, remove all matches of 3 or more consecutive chars (Candy Crush style)
    -- i.e. ABBBCC - > ACC
    -- i.e. ABBCCCB -> A

Theoretical: Design a Browser History log that holds up to n logs
    -- No duplicates (duplicate moves to top of list)
    -- Implement using list (i.e. queue to hold history) for fast and easy reordering (i.e. addition/removal) (simple pointer reassignments)
    -- Implement using hashmap for fast lookup to see if duplicates exist (key -> URL, value -> pointer to index in list)
    -- Handle if browser history reaches max n logs

After the two technical rounds, I was escorted out of the building and treated to lunch with two other engineers. At this point I knew I was not going to the final rounds with HR as they took my security badge on the way out.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter in June 2017. I decided to give it a try as Bloomberg is only company I would leave my current State for and relocate to NY for.

* Phone screening 15 minutes: This was done by the recruiter, to evaluate if I was a good fit and check previous and current experience and current role and responsibilities.

Submitted resume.

* Phone screening - 15 minutes: Recruiter got back with some specific questions regarding role, projects and things I am doing at my current position.

* 1st technical interview - remote / 1 hour: Phone technical interview, I needed a computer and an internet connection. The platform they use is Hackerrank (check it out and get familiar with it). The interviewer can see what you type, if you leave the current window/tab, etc. It is very interactive and collaborative. This interview covered multiple questions and coding challenges from css and html to advanced JS. It also covered questions like Why Bloomberg, and current role and projects.

* 2nd technical interview - remote / 1 hour: Same as 1st technical interview, computer, internet and hackkerrank. This one was done as I live far from NY, they wanted to make sure I could be a good fit before having me come for a face to face interview. This one was a bit tougher than the previous one, more questions and coding challenges from css, html and advanced JS. It also covered questions like Why Bloomberg, and current role and projects.

* HR phone screening / 20 minutes: This was a small interview with HR to see goals, why Bloomberg, current role, willingness to relocate, salary expectations, etc.

I didn't hear back from them for about 2 weeks, then, they contacted me through the recruiter to schedule the on site interview. HR is very efficient, they scheduled flights, hotel, transportation, everything and they cover everything up to the interview and return flight(s).

They even let me stay few extra days to explore the area as the possibility to relocate was real. Of course, I covered the extra days.

* On Site interview!

I was asked to arrive 15 minutes early, check in at the front desk and then I was directed to wait at a pink couch in the 6th floor.

Then, on time, the host came and took me on a 10 minute tour of the building: Pantry, mini Bloomberg terminal museum (my favorite), channel studio, curve escalator, back break room, etc. It is such an awesome building and environment.

After the tour, I was directed to a room where two Engineers were waiting for me. The interview started.

- 1st round - 1 hour: This one was a whiteboard session: System design, some JavaScript challenges, monitoring, deployment. Time flew by. Then the engineers gave me time to ask questions. Then they told me a 2nd round would follow with 2 more engineers. They left.

- 2nd round - 1 hour: Two new engineers arrived, with ice cream. This session was more hands on: Implement an api endpoint meeting certain acceptance criteria given by them. This had to be functional, and it had to consume some of their own services. Then in between while building this, other questions were taking place. Really fun round. Then I had time to ask questions as well. The indicated a new round would follow with 2 more of their colleagues.

- 3rd round - 1 hour: Two new engineers arrived. This round now was about consuming the endpoint built on round 2, and create a UI following some specs they had. That was dynamic and it had to use the data provided by that api endpoint I previously built. All good here as well, really fun round, lots of questions while creating that UI. Then I had time to ask questions as well. The indicated that a round with the head of department would be next.

-4rd round - 1 hour: The head of department arrived, at this point I wanted to work there even more. Their team is just awesome, and the things they are building, incredible. This sessions was more theoretical again, some technical questions, and more about experience, personality, goals, how did I see myself in 2, 4 years, etc. Then interviewer indicated a 5th round with HR would follow.

-5th round - 40 minutes: At this point, I felt awesome. From what I had read, chances were great if you made it to the HR round. This was the last round. We talked about goals, relocation, salary expectations, what I thought so far of the process, etc, very nice round.

Then, after almost 5h, I was directed to pick up my baggage from a storage room and to the front door.
    They said I would hear back in about a week or less. I left, few days later I flew back home.

Less than a week later: I got a call from the recruiter, they let me know I didn't get the role. But they provided high level, but, great feedback on why I didn't get it. I'm very happy that I heard back so fast and with the experience of going through their recruiting process.

Interview Questions

• Implement this API resource, consuming certain services they provided, matching the desired entity representation of the resource.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2017.

Interview

Phone interview with a senior developer.
    A programming question was asked and answered (implemented) via a web portal which interviewer can see the implementations directly.
    The interviewer was very friendly, however, I was having some difficulties understanding the conversation because of the phone.

Interview Questions

• This is a C++ question.
      Implement a class StockMarket in C++ that has the two following functions:

class StockMarket
      {

public:
      void addTrade(string stockName, int share);
      - This function keeps track the number of shares transacted for a stock by adding the trade information
      void printTop(int numberOfStock);
      - This function prints the top numberOfStock stocks that has the highest number of transacted shares

}

And here's a sample calling sequence that uses the above class:
      StockMarket stockMarket;

Expected output:
      GOOGLE 350
      MSFT 250   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2017.

Interview

Initially exchanged few emails with the co-ordinator to schedule a telephone interview and coding challenge. The phone interview and coding challenge lasted one hour. I did not progress past the phone interview and coding challenge phase.

Interview Questions

• Was asked to write a program in any programming language to find the largest sub-string with non-repeating characters.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

-2 Phone Screens, including coding and problem solving
    -F2F interview ( 2 rounds, 2 interviewer each)

Sailed through 2 phone screens which were harder than in-person, was let go after 2nd round in-person. No courtesy of feedback, received automated response saying I am not being considered for position. The reason I am writing is I thought I excelled in in-person interview answering all questions to the fullest demonstrating my thinking process as well considering all edge cases and reached to the answers. May be I was not match for position or vice-versa but they needs to at least have courtesy of constructive feedback assuming time and effort we put in.
    Note for future candidate: If position is requires C++ and if you are Java person, DON"T APPLY!!! They do not understand JAVA API, as answering questions in Java backfires!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied via recruiter.
    Two hackerrank codepair rounds, and called for in person. It was scheduled for 2 hours, but extended to whole day. they bought nice lunch in a restuarant, but got grilled during lunch
    Questions were mixed between Java and C++. Pretty much all interviewers did that, except one.

Interview Questions

• 1) Graph traversal : find all the path from one node to another
      2) How do you find which way heap and stack are growing
      3) Design question about aggregated service
      4) Class hierarchy of a microwave
      5) HR questions   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Applied on their website. Within a week I was contacted and scheduled for a phone call with a recruiter. No call was made. Contacted them to reschedule, was given an available time slot. Confirmed the time and was told it's not an available slot. After pointing out it's a time they gave me, they magically reopened it. Got a call from recruiter and we spoke about the role and I was told there's a perfect spot for me. A week of radio silence I inquired about any interviews, and I was told I was emailed a rejection email. I checked my junk mail, trash, nothing. When I inquired for a copy of the email I was told their "system was stuck" and they apologized. They called to confirm that they don't want to move forward anymore.

Interview Questions

• None. They are so disorganized that they can't keep track of time slots they suggested themselves an hour earlier.   1 Answer