Bloomberg L.P. Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 27, 2017

3.5

62 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

-2 Phone Screens, including coding and problem solving
-F2F interview ( 2 rounds, 2 interviewer each)

Sailed through 2 phone screens which were harder than in-person, was let go after 2nd round in-person. No courtesy of feedback, received automated response saying I am not being considered for position. The reason I am writing is I thought I excelled in in-person interview answering all questions to the fullest demonstrating my thinking process as well considering all edge cases and reached to the answers. May be I was not match for position or vice-versa but they needs to at least have courtesy of constructive feedback assuming time and effort we put in.
Note for future candidate: If position is requires C++ and if you are Java person, DON"T APPLY!!! They do not understand JAVA API, as answering questions in Java backfires!

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied via recruiter.
    Two hackerrank codepair rounds, and called for in person. It was scheduled for 2 hours, but extended to whole day. they bought nice lunch in a restuarant, but got grilled during lunch
    Questions were mixed between Java and C++. Pretty much all interviewers did that, except one.

Interview Questions

• 1) Graph traversal : find all the path from one node to another
      2) How do you find which way heap and stack are growing
      3) Design question about aggregated service
      4) Class hierarchy of a microwave
      5) HR questions   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Applied on their website. Within a week I was contacted and scheduled for a phone call with a recruiter. No call was made. Contacted them to reschedule, was given an available time slot. Confirmed the time and was told it's not an available slot. After pointing out it's a time they gave me, they magically reopened it. Got a call from recruiter and we spoke about the role and I was told there's a perfect spot for me. A week of radio silence I inquired about any interviews, and I was told I was emailed a rejection email. I checked my junk mail, trash, nothing. When I inquired for a copy of the email I was told their "system was stuck" and they apologized. They called to confirm that they don't want to move forward anymore.

Interview Questions

• None. They are so disorganized that they can't keep track of time slots they suggested themselves an hour earlier.   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

This was another stupid Hackerrank test to see how many cracking the coding interview challenges you can solve in 45 minutes. The tests have nothing to do with what anyone does on a day to day basis. The interviewer seemed totally checked out. A humiliating waste of time.

Interview Questions

• Problem that required parsing input into a hash table and then sorting it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

Had a phone interview. The interviewer was very curt. He didn't ask me any questions about my background whatsoever. He just went through a list of theoretical C/C++/Linux questions. I knew all of the C and Linux questions, but not many of the C++ questions since I don't have much experience in C++, so I didn't pass. But for anyone who has experience this interview should be a piece of cake.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

It was my first phone interview and from beginning of the interview I was incomfortable. I noted various instances when the tone of interviewer was not welcome. "oh your resume says you know X, so you must know Y,isnt it?" I solved first question. On second question about graph I was having difficulty to get the right solution. But the interviewer kept typing continuously while I worked almost the entire time.It was distracting. For the first question I tried to talk and explain my solution but felt the interviewer was not interested in making the conversation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

Apply online, telephonic screen sharing tech interview, onsite interviews.

After clearing telephonic tech interview was invited for onsite interview.

One day before the interview got a mail from recruiter that my interview was cancelled because the people who were supposed to be interviewing me were out of country. The recruiter asked for another dates. I wasted one holiday of mine as I already informed my current employer about time off with some reason. Recruiter SHOULD have informed me earlier, not only her fault but hiring process is flawed.

For the new date recruiter informed me that I'll be interviewing for two teams and asked me book the entire day for them. Ended up interview only for one team in morning.

Again wasted half of my vacation.

She did not clarify why my interview with CIS team was cancelled for the second time.

Interview Questions

• Telephonic :Basic questions related to Python and some basic coding exercises just to check level of python experience.

Onsite : Meeting room scheduling problem and a question related to prefix trees.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2017.

Interview

Went with a recruiting firm and got a phone interview in 2 weeks. On the day of the interview got a call 5 mins late than the scheduled time. Interviewer seemed to be in a great hurry. He dived into Hacker rank session with out any questions on my expertise or technical questions.

Interview Questions

• If you have a CSV file with performance and stock details, how do efficiently get first 5 stocks with highest performance using appropriate java collections?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

1st: Telephone
    2nd: Telephone & Hacker Rank
    3rd: In-person multiple face-to-face 2-on-1
    If they dont send you to HR by end of 3rd interview, you werent hired.

Recruiter called me, after I applied on some website. was nice & convincing but as time wore on I was less convinced applying to BB was a good idea because Im super creative & BB is super crufty financials. aggressively pursued me saying things like "Why would you turn down a half a million bucks?" or "i see, you want to throw money away" & even though I said several times "No" but continually called me until I gave in when it was said BB would pay for my travel. I have family in the area, & thought it would be a good chance to see if I can l& a job there, & at the same time I could keep costs low because they were able to keep me in their basement for a few months to get my start.

Entire time I was told repeatedly by R that I would be reimbursed. I asked about this that or the other thing I heard "Theyll pay for travel _&_ for meals" .. then came the interview & I was sort of pushed into the wrong interview. There were 6 teams hiring, but I picked one initially, interviewed, then R asked me not to pick that one because had trouble in past. I shrugged & picked Security. Not a good fit. Even though interview ended with me & the hiring manager assessing the situation & coming to a mutual agreement that it was probably not the best position for me - especially since the R like popped a question on me at the last minute about what department I wanted, then told me no when I gave him my answer -- then had me meet with one of the most uncreative teams on the list. Mutual dissatisfaction & hiring manager said seen it before from "that R"

Keep in mind BB software engis are paid more than 180k after just a couple years, & their daily job to babysit a single function on the BB back-end, go to gym & eat snacks no managers at BB want them to even have. You get a 6 month bonus of 25k in cash & the R makes 30k finders fee if you last that long.

R asked for reimbursement request. I made up a sheet & provided receipts (exported emails, photographs). After turning in the info to the R, the R wrote back & I didnt notice that the R had sent it to Person @ Accounts Payable. AP refused it & said I needed to fill out & sign a specific form. On the form at the bottom it says they reserve the right to refuse any item, but will write a check & list the items they didnt pay. It also says you have to turn it in within 1 month of your interview date to your recruitment contact. Well, I didnt notice this because the R didnt say _anything_ leading into the email -- just forwarded me AP email with a blank body -- wasnt obvious I had to do anything. I re-read it about a month later, realized thats why I hadnt seen a check. I wrote back, sent in the receipts along with the printed email -- AP immediately rejected it, said I filled out the form wrong, that they wouldnt accept it, & that I should turn it in again, filled out correctly this time, & on top of that was mean to the R about it. AP said I needed receipts & bank statements to have it processed (though I provided receipts).

So I went & got those things -- statements, receipts ... had to wait another 15 days for a receipt from one of my travel tickets .. I turned it in with a complete picture of everything I had spent, & itemized, categorized travel costs - Gas, Food, Travel (tickets), no hotels (I stayed with family). Due to blizzard stay lasted 3 weeks, didnt expect them to pay every item, but I provided a clear picture. R sent it in without looking at it, then he wrote back & said "shouldnt have sent that" & was rejected. AP told me to fill out the form again. AP said I needed bank statements & receipts, & the R hinted that they werent going to pay for all meals, & the quote from the R (not allowed to talk to Accounts Payable directly or something, AP keeps referring to me in the third person even though I emailed once directly) was "None of this flies" .. R starts calling me & emails asking me to turn in receipts as though I had never turned in any. Wont clarify what receipts, R says they wont pay for extra week & they only needed me for that one day. R said R talked to AP & got a list of items they would approve: 1 night in a hotel, tickets there & back, "Travel Costs" & nothing else, blah blah blah.

Well, it also says on their form that you can turn in everything & they will pick & choose & after spending about 10-15 hours on this, I give up. Probably what they wanted. Sent the same form back to them twice, for a total of 3 submissions, & Kafkaesque runaround so dont expect much from their supposed travel reimb & the high & mighty Accounts Payable department at BB. On top of that they are claiming I didnt turn it in within the first month, though I initiated the process within 1 week. If they dont want to pay, why not just follow their own policy? I guess they dont want to pay for any of it.

Interview Questions

• Why Bloomberg?   1 Answer
    • During the HankerRank portion, I was asked to develop C++ algorithms using no libraries other than STL.   1 Answer
    • Imagine you are making an image drawing program. You have a contour (draws a closed contour) and you click here inside it. What do you do to fill it?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied online through their career website and I got en email from their recruiter asking me for 3 possible time slots for a phone interview which would last about 60 mins. I was asked to login to Hackerrank 5 mins before the call and the interviewer logged in and called my mobile right on time as scheduled. He asked me a lot of questions about my resume and asked me to describe the scenarios where I applied all the technologies listed. This took around 20 mins. He then gave me a coding question on Hackerank which wasn't very difficult but because of the various design possibilities, I was the only one who kept asking all the questions and the interviewer would answer me by saying 'do what you think is right', I split the question into two parts and was still working on the second part when he told me we were running out of time. So I added a comment to the code saying implementing part 2 ..... etc and he told me that he doesn't expect me to finish writing the entire code, he wanted to see my approach to the problem. After an hour and 5 mins, he went on to give me another question which was relatively much smaller and required me to write the answers in one line, which I did. He again interrupted me saying he needs to move on to another call and if there were any questions I had for him.

I am waiting to hear back from HR

Interview Questions

• Question on creating an array of first names and ordinal number combination from the input and sorting the String array chronologically, if duplicate first names found, sort based on the ordinal number (roman numerals). There were a few constraints mentioned for the sorting to be done.

Another question on writing the various XPaths for a given XML files   1 Answer