Bloomberg L.P. Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bloomberg L.P. Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated May 12, 2017

3.5

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

This was another stupid Hackerrank test to see how many cracking the coding interview challenges you can solve in 45 minutes. The tests have nothing to do with what anyone does on a day to day basis. The interviewer seemed totally checked out. A humiliating waste of time.

Interview Questions

• Problem that required parsing input into a hash table and then sorting it.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

It was my first phone interview and from beginning of the interview I was incomfortable. I noted various instances when the tone of interviewer was not welcome. "oh your resume says you know X, so you must know Y,isnt it?" I solved first question. On second question about graph I was having difficulty to get the right solution. But the interviewer kept typing continuously while I worked almost the entire time.It was distracting. For the first question I tried to talk and explain my solution but felt the interviewer was not interested in making the conversation.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2017.

Interview

Went with a recruiting firm and got a phone interview in 2 weeks. On the day of the interview got a call 5 mins late than the scheduled time. Interviewer seemed to be in a great hurry. He dived into Hacker rank session with out any questions on my expertise or technical questions.

Interview Questions

• If you have a CSV file with performance and stock details, how do efficiently get first 5 stocks with highest performance using appropriate java collections?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

1st: Telephone
    2nd: Telephone & Hacker Rank
    3rd: In-person multiple face-to-face 2-on-1
    If they dont send you to HR by end of 3rd interview, you werent hired.

Recruiter called me, after I applied on some website. was nice & convincing but as time wore on I was less convinced applying to BB was a good idea because Im super creative & BB is super crufty financials. aggressively pursued me saying things like "Why would you turn down a half a million bucks?" or "i see, you want to throw money away" & even though I said several times "No" but continually called me until I gave in when it was said BB would pay for my travel. I have family in the area, & thought it would be a good chance to see if I can l& a job there, & at the same time I could keep costs low because they were able to keep me in their basement for a few months to get my start.

Entire time I was told repeatedly by R that I would be reimbursed. I asked about this that or the other thing I heard "Theyll pay for travel _&_ for meals" .. then came the interview & I was sort of pushed into the wrong interview. There were 6 teams hiring, but I picked one initially, interviewed, then R asked me not to pick that one because had trouble in past. I shrugged & picked Security. Not a good fit. Even though interview ended with me & the hiring manager assessing the situation & coming to a mutual agreement that it was probably not the best position for me - especially since the R like popped a question on me at the last minute about what department I wanted, then told me no when I gave him my answer -- then had me meet with one of the most uncreative teams on the list. Mutual dissatisfaction & hiring manager said seen it before from "that R"

Keep in mind BB software engis are paid more than 180k after just a couple years, & their daily job to babysit a single function on the BB back-end, go to gym & eat snacks no managers at BB want them to even have. You get a 6 month bonus of 25k in cash & the R makes 30k finders fee if you last that long.

R asked for reimbursement request. I made up a sheet & provided receipts (exported emails, photographs). After turning in the info to the R, the R wrote back & I didnt notice that the R had sent it to Person @ Accounts Payable. AP refused it & said I needed to fill out & sign a specific form. On the form at the bottom it says they reserve the right to refuse any item, but will write a check & list the items they didnt pay. It also says you have to turn it in within 1 month of your interview date to your recruitment contact. Well, I didnt notice this because the R didnt say _anything_ leading into the email -- just forwarded me AP email with a blank body -- wasnt obvious I had to do anything. I re-read it about a month later, realized thats why I hadnt seen a check. I wrote back, sent in the receipts along with the printed email -- AP immediately rejected it, said I filled out the form wrong, that they wouldnt accept it, & that I should turn it in again, filled out correctly this time, & on top of that was mean to the R about it. AP said I needed receipts & bank statements to have it processed (though I provided receipts).

So I went & got those things -- statements, receipts ... had to wait another 15 days for a receipt from one of my travel tickets .. I turned it in with a complete picture of everything I had spent, & itemized, categorized travel costs - Gas, Food, Travel (tickets), no hotels (I stayed with family). Due to blizzard stay lasted 3 weeks, didnt expect them to pay every item, but I provided a clear picture. R sent it in without looking at it, then he wrote back & said "shouldnt have sent that" & was rejected. AP told me to fill out the form again. AP said I needed bank statements & receipts, & the R hinted that they werent going to pay for all meals, & the quote from the R (not allowed to talk to Accounts Payable directly or something, AP keeps referring to me in the third person even though I emailed once directly) was "None of this flies" .. R starts calling me & emails asking me to turn in receipts as though I had never turned in any. Wont clarify what receipts, R says they wont pay for extra week & they only needed me for that one day. R said R talked to AP & got a list of items they would approve: 1 night in a hotel, tickets there & back, "Travel Costs" & nothing else, blah blah blah.

Well, it also says on their form that you can turn in everything & they will pick & choose & after spending about 10-15 hours on this, I give up. Probably what they wanted. Sent the same form back to them twice, for a total of 3 submissions, & Kafkaesque runaround so dont expect much from their supposed travel reimb & the high & mighty Accounts Payable department at BB. On top of that they are claiming I didnt turn it in within the first month, though I initiated the process within 1 week. If they dont want to pay, why not just follow their own policy? I guess they dont want to pay for any of it.

Interview Questions

• Why Bloomberg?   1 Answer
    • During the HankerRank portion, I was asked to develop C++ algorithms using no libraries other than STL.   1 Answer
    • Imagine you are making an image drawing program. You have a contour (draws a closed contour) and you click here inside it. What do you do to fill it?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied online through their career website and I got en email from their recruiter asking me for 3 possible time slots for a phone interview which would last about 60 mins. I was asked to login to Hackerrank 5 mins before the call and the interviewer logged in and called my mobile right on time as scheduled. He asked me a lot of questions about my resume and asked me to describe the scenarios where I applied all the technologies listed. This took around 20 mins. He then gave me a coding question on Hackerank which wasn't very difficult but because of the various design possibilities, I was the only one who kept asking all the questions and the interviewer would answer me by saying 'do what you think is right', I split the question into two parts and was still working on the second part when he told me we were running out of time. So I added a comment to the code saying implementing part 2 ..... etc and he told me that he doesn't expect me to finish writing the entire code, he wanted to see my approach to the problem. After an hour and 5 mins, he went on to give me another question which was relatively much smaller and required me to write the answers in one line, which I did. He again interrupted me saying he needs to move on to another call and if there were any questions I had for him.

I am waiting to hear back from HR

Interview Questions

• Question on creating an array of first names and ordinal number combination from the input and sorting the String array chronologically, if duplicate first names found, sort based on the ordinal number (roman numerals). There were a few constraints mentioned for the sorting to be done.

Another question on writing the various XPaths for a given XML files
      1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

First a phone screen with live coding on Hackerrank. The onsite consisted of two rounds of technical interviews. Each round had two interviewers which asked questions in turn and again live coding on Hackerrank. Additional rounds with group managers if the previous ones went well.

Interview Questions

• Get the kth element of two sorted array. Can you do better than linear time complexity?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

interview process was very efficient and flexible.

Contacted by recruiter for a senior software engr position. I submitted my resume, and within 1 day, set a phone interview.

Phone Interview - [ 1 hour ]
    Spoke to: another senior engineer
    Format: Hackerrank
    Questions: 4
    1. Design a queue with a getMin() function
    2. Design a function to find the sqrt of a number, exact to 0.001
    3. Write a function to find all primes between 1 to N
    4. Describe how SQL indexes are made
       - was a bit surprised by this one. nethertheless, it is coursework I took in my undergrad so I knew.

I solved all of them pretty fast. The interviewer told me they would get back to me the next day. The next morning, I scheduled an onsite.

They helped out with the flight + hotel + car ride.

Onsite Interview - (8 rounds)
    I had 8 rounds of interviews... It was a really intense and stressful day.

Round 0 - got a tour of the fantastic building. I got some OJ and coffee and headed up to the first room.

Round 1 - [ 1 hour ] - 2 people - Coded on HackerRank and compiled with test cases
    - Write a function to determine the number the ways to make N cents given an array S which contains the currency of the coin. I.E. if S = {1,5,10,25}, and N = 25, Find the number of ways to make N cents using pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters.

I used the standard DP approach and was able to solve the problem in the first try.

Round 2 - [ 1 hour ] - 2 people - Coded on HackerRank and compiled with test cases
    - Write a code to determine if a pattern exists in a string. I struggled quite a bit with this one. The interviewer said "rolling hash", and it clicked. The hash function has to be rolled in the text to be matched with the pattern. Remember to use prime numbers for the base and mod and know the ins and outs of hashing.

I wrote the function, ran, and passed the test case on HackerRank.

Round 3 - [ 1 hour ] - 2 people - On paper , Really heavy c++ basics.
    - This is the first on paper interview. What a relief I thought .. I thought wrong, they asked many C++ basics which I was not very confident in. regardless, i was able to answer every question correctly with some help.
    1. What are the main additions to C++ in C++14? (I happened to know a few new STLs and common libraries so mentioned those)
    2. What's the difference between const char * p, and char * const p ?
    3. Whats the underlying data structure of a <vector>? <map> ? <unordered_map> ?

Round 4 - [1 hour ] - 2 people. on their computer - STRESS INTERVIEW, it was extremely stressful.
    This was the 'harsh' interview.

"Design me a server."

Any questions I asked were promptly rejected to say, "I don't know, do you think that would be good?, If you think that's good, then add it"
    The interviewers were quite negative but I believe that was the intent of the interview.. to see how I handle pressure.

I ignored it all, had a big smile on my face with confidence, laid out my assumptions, and created a basic singleton server that can take requests and respond to a request using the c++11 thread library <thread>

I struggled getting the code to compile because I was rusty with mutexes and thread joins. With their help I was able to get a fully functional multi threaded server to run on their computer.

Round 5 - [1 hour ] - 2 people , Lunch interview ,asking about my personality and behavioral questions.

At this point, I was asked to lunch by 2 of the managers.

I saw one of the managers make a phone call, and he asked me to come back to the office to speak with his manager.

Round 6 - [ 30 minutes ] - 1 person - Talking with a senior manager - WHY BLOOMBERG??
    I talked with a tech exec about my personality.
    1. Why do you want to leave you current company?
    2. Why do you want to join us?
    3. What would you be your short term career goals ?

Round 7 - [ 30 minutes ] - 1 person - Talked with a HR rep.
    Same questions as before.
    1. Why Bloomberg?
    2. Given a problem, what is your approach to solve it?

Round 8 - [30 minutes ] - 1 person - Talked to the head of HR
    Same as before.

If you expect to get an offer, be ready to answer the common behavioral questions. Also, you should be able to do 99% of CS interview questions in your sleep. Doing them on a computer with 2 people breathing down your neck definitively makes you forget things. Be confident. Speak clear. Record your self talking through a problem, and listen to it. Do you sound clear? Are you easy to understand ? No? THEN PRACTICE AGAIN!

Record your self answering the question " Why bloomberg?" " Why do you want to leave your company?" It BETTER SOUND GOOD!

[OFFER]
    I got an offer the next morning at 9am. The offer was 30% higher than my salary expectation.

I accepted the offer right away and have been working here for the past 4 months and am having a splendid time.

Interview Questions

• 1. Design a queue with a getMin() function   1 Answer
    • Why bloomberg?   Answer Question
    • 3. Write a function to find all primes between 1 to N   Answer Question
    • Design a multi threaded server. there are 2 threads per core, and expect network latency. What data structure is critical?   Answer Question
    • Write a code to determine if a pattern exists in a string.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

Two phone interviews with coding on Hackerrank code pair and on site. On site I had 2 rounds with two interviewers in each round . First round went well . It was more of design discussion and how to implement a message processing system. In the second round one of the interviewers was obnoxious. It was a bad experience in the second round. I was sent out after this round. Over all it was a neutral experience

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I had to go thru 2 phones, then they flew me in for a 3 hour in person interview.

They were pretty normal interview questions, people were very nice/polite. Know your stuff and you'll get a job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

HR contacted me 2 wekes after applying online.
    1 hour technical webex interview, 4-5 hours on site interviews, 1 hour each.
    2 team members per interview asking dynamic programming, sql and design questions.
    The last one was interview with a manager.
    You need to write down your answers on a paper or using the whiteboard.
    For example:
    Given two link lists, return the longest common postfix.
    Given a Queue, write a function which every 5 seconds reads a value from the queue.
    and many other...

Interview Questions

• Given two link lists, return the longest common postfix.
      and many other