Bloomberg L.P. Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 7, 2017

3.5

61 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

First a phone screen with live coding on Hackerrank. The onsite consisted of two rounds of technical interviews. Each round had two interviewers which asked questions in turn and again live coding on Hackerrank. Additional rounds with group managers if the previous ones went well.

Interview Questions

• Get the kth element of two sorted array. Can you do better than linear time complexity?   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

Two phone interviews with coding on Hackerrank code pair and on site. On site I had 2 rounds with two interviewers in each round . First round went well . It was more of design discussion and how to implement a message processing system. In the second round one of the interviewers was obnoxious. It was a bad experience in the second round. I was sent out after this round. Over all it was a neutral experience

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I had to go thru 2 phones, then they flew me in for a 3 hour in person interview.

They were pretty normal interview questions, people were very nice/polite. Know your stuff and you'll get a job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

HR contacted me 2 wekes after applying online.
    1 hour technical webex interview, 4-5 hours on site interviews, 1 hour each.
    2 team members per interview asking dynamic programming, sql and design questions.
    The last one was interview with a manager.
    You need to write down your answers on a paper or using the whiteboard.
    For example:
    Given two link lists, return the longest common postfix.
    Given a Queue, write a function which every 5 seconds reads a value from the queue.
    and many other...

Interview Questions

• Given two link lists, return the longest common postfix.
      and many other   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Hacker rank code pair question and answer session. The interviewer did not like my answers and had his own views. Prepare well before taking interviews from this firm. They are very stiff.

Interview Questions

• Write complexity of each for Java:
      ArrayList add , delete, remove
      LinkedList add,delete, remove
      HashSet add contains remove
      HashMap put contains get   Answer Question
    • Is this possible in Java?:
      Public void doSomething(List<String> bar){...}
      Public void doSomething(List<Integer> bar){...}   2 Answers
    • What do you know about hash code? What is the most important thing to do while writing a hash code? Can hash codes for two objects be the same ?   1 Answer
    • Write a program to find all primes up to 1000.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

Two separate phone interviews, each lasting about an hour and conducted using a pair coding website. This was followed by an onsite interview with two technical sessions, and a meeting with an HR person.

Bloomberg conducts technical interviews 2 on 1, and have a lot of interruptions. It was surprisingly adversarial compared to interviews I've done at other big tech companies: Google, Microsoft, Facebook, and some smaller companies. The other rather irksome aspect is that they expect coding questions to be solved on small pieces of paper, half the size of the standard 8.5x11. They also asked brain teaser questions, which is generally proven to be a waste of time. Overall, just lots of annoying aspects.

The younger engineers in the first interview where nice but still interrupted too much, while the senior guys in the second interview very dismissive. The HR person was quite nice. 2 on 1 technical interviews are awful.

Interview Questions

• Brain teaser, where you have people crossing a bridge in pairs with a flashlight in the dark where they walk at different speeds and you have to optimize the speed.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

applied online, phone interview was a week later, used HackerRank, one question, i coded and then he escalated the problem, didnt do well as i was so nervous, interviewer didnt care about my experience or anything, just went strait to coding test which doesnt make sense for a Senior Software Engineer position where it counts more on experience based on the job description

Interview Questions

• was asked to write code in any language to go through array and find duplicate integers.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

Submitted by a recruiter. Scheduled phone interviews within 2 weeks.

The interviewers are pretty nice, and they even guided me through some questions when I am stuck. Overall pretty good experience.

Interview Questions

• In the second phone interview:
      * The most challenging thing encountered.
      * Implement a data structure to support fast retrieval of most recent used object.
      * Implement a smart pointer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview process is grueling and pointlessly long. A total waste of time. Two phone interviews (about half hour each) followed by essentially an entire day of round after round (I counted 7 rounds) of technical interviews. I was grilled at their headquarters for over seven hours only to get rejected the next day. Each round except for the final (senior manager) and HR rounds were two-on-one. There was a lunch break where two developers buy you lunch and it's supposed to be "the opportunity for you to ask questions", but basically it's just another interview round as they ask you the standard questions about what you worked on at previous jobs, and maybe even some light problem solving questions, but thankfully you don't have to write code over lunch.

Interview Questions

• 1) Write a method to find the lowest common ancestor of a binary search tree.
      2) Write a thread-safe singleton class.
      3) Design a parking lot system that will return the number of the next open space. Consider how to optimize the solution if the parking lot was gigantic.
      4) Design a history system for a web browser that allows the user to navigate forward, backward, and enter a new URL.
      5) Write a method that takes a list of strings and returns a list of buckets of anagrams of those strings.
      6) If you have a two-dimensional array representing a maze, return a solution for the path from the upper-left corner to the lower-right corner. You can only move down or right.
      ie: input:
      [1, 1, 0, 0]
      [1, 1. 0, 0]
      [0. 1, 1. 1]
      solution:
      [1, 1, 0, 0]
      [0, 1, 1, 1]
      7) If you have an input character array, for example "_ _ _hello_ _ _ world _ _", write a method to return a character array with the leading and training spaces removed and only one space between each word, ie: "hello_world"
      8) Describe how you might architect a system for searching across multiple data sets and returning the results to a client. If some data sets came from external sources, how could you mitigate the amount of code that you'd need to re-write? How can you ensure that all the results are returned to the client at the same time?
      9) Describe how you might architect a system that receives a constant stream of data (such as stock ticker symbols and prices) and sends this data to multiple subscribers that only want to listen for certain tickers. Suppose there is a massive amount of data and you discover there is a long delay in the data reaching the consumers. How would you solve this?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

This is probably more in general than specific to any one company, as many companies do the same exact process. They get you in a room with a white board or a pen and paper and there you go, they ask you questions. In all my years of programming, I never do this on an actual job. I write programs. It's interesting how a process can allow people that are good at memorizing to succeed, but hard core coders can fail. I know it's my own limitations, but I haven't worked anywhere yet where I haven't been one of the top programmers (usually the top), but I cannot get through these types of interviews and I've been on a few. In college I bombed tests, because my memory sucks for this stuff, but all the guys getting A's came to me for their programming help. I've written and sold more programs that anyone I know that also always holds a full time job. So I cram before these interviews, relearn all the stuff I haven't touched since college just to answer the questions. Stuff that I only learn when I have an application that needs it. I pick up and am able to apply new technology very quickly, but I also brain dump just as quickly when I haven't used it in a while. So I see guys that cannot code, but can memorize getting through this process with flying colors, and I can never get to that level, even though I know I would shine at any coding they gave me. Only once have I been on an interview where it was really geared towards who can actually code. They put all the candidates in a room, split us into teams, and gave us a project. It was actually fun, took two days, but they watched and were able to see the guys that could apply the knowledge rather than just regurgitate it. Yeah, it was in a language I had never used before, but again I pick up things quickly and haven't missed a deadline yet. Just frustration with the process.

Interview Questions

• What's the function call and syntax to create a thread in windows api   1 Answer