Bloomberg L.P. Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Bloomberg L.P. Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated May 12, 2017

3.8

8 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me on Linked In and I decided to give it a try. The application process consists of a phone interview round, then a video call and finally an onsite interview. Intervals between interview rounds were unreasonably long.
The phone interview actually involves some simple coding questions on Hacker Rank and some C++ questions. The video call round was lead by two guys from London, who also asked me to write some code on Hacker Rank (but this time we did not even compile the code), questions about design patterns, and some questions about my previous projects.
These round went pretty smoothly and I was invited to the on-site interview. It actually consisted of three rounds: one with two team members (again, a coding problem, which caused no problems +questions about my design decisions, possible trade-offs in terms of algorithmic complexity), then a round with HR (non-technical questions, also I was given a chance to ask questions) and another round with a manager (mostly questions about my previous projects). It turned out that the lead of the team to which I applied was ill, so we had to schedule another video call with him.
During this (fourth) part the team lead asked me some tricky systems design questions and I got an impression that I did not do very well. Then I had a talk with a member of another team and finally they told me that I'll need another round with guys from New York office (this round never happened). After two weeks I received a refuse, but the recruiter told me that I really impressed the team, so they will recommend me to another team. I did not receive any more replies from them, except a feedback form.

Conclusion. Pros:
* reasonable and relevant technical questions
* travel expenses are covered
Cons:
* tons of non-technical questions (useless, IMHO)
* took a very long time (unreasonably long)
* communication problems (e.g., a suddenly cancelled round with NY office, no reply about the other team)

Interview Questions

• Why Bloomberg? Why this particular team?   Answer Question
  • Describe the culture of software development in your company. How do you perceive the culture of software development in Bloomberg.   Answer Question
  • We have an instant messaging service. Suppose that we now want to collect statistics about its usage (full message history). What technologies would you use for that? How to make it fault-tolerant? How would this stats system affect the service itself. Which DB indices are needed for certain types of queries?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in January 2016.

Interview

I had two telephone and one on-site interview. The on-site one took about 4 hours and I talked to about 5 different people from software engineers, tech leads to managers and HR. I liked that they were prepared and knew exactly what they were asking for. Questions were not definitely not easy but not extremely difficult either. It was all very professional.

Interview Questions

• General questions about C++, templates, some logic based riddles. i.e. Using just a single weight scale and having 9 marbles of equal mass apart from one, which is heavier, how many times do you need to use the weight scale to find the heavier marble?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in November 2015.

Interview

People were positive. I think questions were not so hard for an experienced developer. My failure at the second stage was totally my mistake. Interview was heavily on C++. You are required to write code for problems they ask in both phone interview and on site interview. Be prepared for coding!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in November 2013.

Interview

Contacted via Linkedin first online C++ test, then a c++ interview by phone, then a videconference with one of the team leaders, then in house interview.

Interview Questions

• Analize what does a very old legacy code, 5 minutes to explore the code   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in September 2012.

Interview

There are 5 stages of interview. First one was telephonic interview. It was purely technical - c++, databases, unix. Next stage was face to face interview. Second interview was f2f and purely technical which lasted 2 hrs. At the beginning of this interview, I was told that whether I have more interviews or not will depend on how I fair in this interview. Second f2f was with the manager of team which lasted 45 minutes. It was totally CV based. Third f2f was with HR, it also lasted one hour and consisted of typical HR type questions and CV based questions, it was almost repetition of second f2f. Last stage was telephonic interview with NY team. I have really bad experience with this interview. The interview was arranged for 10 PM on a Friday night and the interviewer did not call. It was rearranged for Monday night. Even then, he did not apologise for not calling on Friday. Also, the way he started the interview it seemed he had really made up his mind not to take it. Asked me a very vague scenario based question and when I asked questions he replied u have to decide that for everything and finished the interview abruptly.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in February 2012.

Interview

Applied only - Then technical online test

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of London, England (UK)

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (City of London, England (UK)) in November 2010.

Interview

Started with an online C/C++ test which I had no problem with.. Two days later I was notified I'd made it through to the next round where I'd be taking a telephone interview.. During the interview I was asked several general C++ questions as well as several questions relating to the Unix platform and operation system environment. I struggled to answer many of the questions effectively due to the fact that I had very little prior Unix experience coming from a predominantly windows-based programming background. I found this kind of unfair since the interviewer already asked at the beginning of the interview about my Unix experience which was confirmed from my curriculum vitae so he was aware of this before-hand..

In the end I received a phone call the next day of which I was told I didn't make it through the final round (face-to-face HR interview) due to my lack of Unix experience which was fair enough.

Overall a pretty well structured, streamlined interview process with good response time. I'll like to interview again sometime in the future once I brush up on my Unix skills/experience.

Interview Questions

• What are signals in Unix and how are they used..?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in November 2009.

Interview

I took an online C++ test, I would say a 7/10 in difficulty. Passed with flying colors (97%).
    Got an email ONE hour later saying they want me to go through a technical phone interview. Then the phone interview... I did not do well, he was asking mostly UNIX questions (signals and file system) and some stack/heap and pointer C style questions. No word after that until 2 months later I get an email that they will not be offering a job at this point.