Bloomberg L.P. Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bloomberg L.P. Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 1, 2017

277 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

Extremely smooth interview process.

Start off with the application on their website. It was smooth and only a resume submission. After that I was emailed by Bloomberg to set up a phone interview which I did. The recruiter also shared a Hackerrank link for the interview. (if you are unfamiliar with Hackerrank I definitely recommend practicing on their website)

Phone Screen (2 hrs):
The interviewer called perfectly on time and was extremely nice. After testing the connection of the hackerrank session he asked about my experience which I had prepared and I described the tasks that I had worked on in my internships. Then he asked "Why Bloomberg". Definitely prepare a series of points for that as this is crucial to your interview. After that it was technical. Questions:
- Given a set of arbitrary float numbers in an SQL table select only the ones that are exactly 4 decimal places
- Remove arbitrary spaces from a sentence:
eg: "The sky is blue " --> "The sky is blue"
- Reverse an integer:
eg: 3421 --> 1243

I was then contacted within two days to schedule an interview onsite. The HR department is extremely efficient. They scheduled and paid for flights and hotel and they compensate you with a gift card as well.

Onsite Interview (4 rounds):
The onsite interview begins with the tour of the building. Its an amazing office. The tour ends in a room with the first set of interviewers who find you in the group of people and take you to your interview room where you will be for the rest of the day.

Round 1 (2 hrs):
2-on-1 interview. Interviewers are very very helpful. I feel like a struggled at times but they were encouraging and basically test you to your limit.
First I was asked in great detail about my internship. Definitely prepare your background from your resume. They are extremely knowledgable and will delve into great details about past projects.
The technical question was to design a stack with O(1) lookup for minimum element in the stack. They first make you optimize your design till they are satisfied and then you have to write code for push, pop.

Round 2 (2 hrs):
Again 2-on-1 interview. These interviewers were probably the ones who were supposed to be harsh. "Why Bloomberg". Be prepared! Then they asked about database management systems. Why is is better to have that over just creating text files? But he was never satisfied with my answer but I kept trying to resolve his questions without giving up. I think that is crucial. Then I was asked to design an address book which you can use to:
a) Get the the info of a person from the name
b) Get the info of a person from a number

Numbers are unique but names are not. They will ask you to heavily optimize your design (most optimal design: use hash tables with key as the the name or number and value as a pointer to the location of info with binary trees to handle collisions)

At this point I noticed people being escorted out. So basically if you don't pass your first two rounds then they walk you out of the building. If not then you have an HR and managerial interview.

Round 3 (45 mins):
An HR lady will interview you. At this point you've basically passed and they're just checking a personality fit for the job. This interview was mostly just HR related. Finding out status of visa etc. Expected salary? Where else have you applied? Do you have an offer? etc etc. Keep the answers to those to a minimum. Do not mention more than 1 or 2 companies.

Round 4 (1 hr):
Managerial interview was by far the most relaxed interview of all. It was basically just a conversation while delving into details about the past projects. I was also asked why I chose my internship and where I applied AND where I got accepted (that was definitely a little unexpected). We discussed my goals at Bloomberg and also extra curricular activities that I would like to get involved in. When were out of time she thanked me and walked with me till the entrance of the building.

I was contacted within 3 days of the onsite interview with an offer over the phone. The official offer letter was sent by email a few days later.

P.S. The interview process took around 40 days for me because I could not make it for the recommended onsite interview date for personal reasons and had to schedule for a later date.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Boston, MA) in March 2017.

Interview

Interviewer introduced himself via some hand on projects.
    He asked about some java basic questions and some detail about my project on resume. He also asked about how good you think you are at java.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

telephonic interview 1 hour:--
    what will you do if number is greater than current max size in the language - (use array to store the number)
    asked me to write a program with to add two integers store in an array format. (not that easy as it looks , took me whole 15 mins to write this...)
    we went over hashmap and hashset in java. why it is O(1) to for both. Also how hashcode gives location of element in the array in hashmap, what operation is performed to get it. and so on....

Interview Questions

• given a method which had for loop with 100,000 iteration and calling it to some method with heavy call ( for that exercise they used sleep). all the results from the method call stored in array. how will you improve performance.   1 Answer
    • question :-- how Messaging framework work. what if two brokers are connected and if one publisher publishes on a QUEUE and two subscribers on 2 different brokers waiting. how message is delivered.   1 Answer
    • i was give a program with errors which was connecting an endpoint in java with httpclient. i needed to check what is the problem?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Orlando, FL).

Interview

There were two technical interviews, an HR interview, and a final interview with a project manager, all off-site and spaced over the week. The technical interviews mainly focused on problem solving several algorithmic challenges, as well as a brief review of the resume. The first was one-on-one and the other was in front of two interviewers.

Interview Questions

• What projects have you worked on in the past and how do you see your skill set fitting in at Bloomberg?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Applied through university career fair. First round was a filtering round and they asked a very simple reverse integer problem.
    Second round was in person interview at campus, they asked two questions, one was maximum subarray integer problem and the other was storing the values of multiple arrays with duplicate values in a single array.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2017.

Interview

I apply online for the position and get an email about 10 days later. The HR give me some time options to choose for the phone interview. During the phone interview, the man first asked me some behavior question then asked me some basic data structures and the time complexity and how to implement the data structure. Then we do an algorithm problem.

Interview Questions

• Binary tree basics. Heap basics. Binary tree traverse and Iterator.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied online. Contacted by a recruiter a month later. Hour long phone screen with collaborative edited coding challenge, standard. Invited onsite for several rounds of interviews, technical were 2-on-1.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied online and got an email to schedule a phone interview.

Phone interview was about an hour long. Started off by talking about my resume and then went into some coding. The questions were very similar to question found on sites like leetcode.

I was then invited to an onsite interview. There were 4 rounds, about 45min - 1hr each. First 2 were coding and the last 2 were behavioral.

Sadly, I wasn't made an offer.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY).

Interview

Start with a phone interview, possible two, then an onsite interview, which typically take a day or half, questions are very traditional, data structure, algorithm, language details, system design, low level, operating system, knowledge based, your past experience, etc. The questions are not the hardest compared with other tech companies out there. And Bloomberg is probably the large firms that primarily hire c++ developers out there.

Interview Questions

• What is the biggest technical challenge you faced in a recent project   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Town Line, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Town Line, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

You must use the hackerrank interface (and you may not cut and paste from your favorite ide).Use a partially sorted list, square it and sort it again (in faster than n log n time).... do not use a merge sort!

Interview Questions

• Use a partially sorted list, square it and sort it again (in faster than n log n time)....   3 Answers