Bloomberg L.P. Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bloomberg L.P. Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated May 26, 2017

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Town Line, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Town Line, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

You must use the hackerrank interface (and you may not cut and paste from your favorite ide).Use a partially sorted list, square it and sort it again (in faster than n log n time).... do not use a merge sort!

Interview Questions

• Use a partially sorted list, square it and sort it again (in faster than n log n time)....   3 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied via my college recruitment. Got an initial phone round. The phone question was average in difficulty. The question required good knowledge of recursion and hashing. Passed phone round. Was scheduled for onsite in the same week itself. Interviewed at Bloomberg NY HQ. Got my offer within a week of my onsite interview. The interviewers are nice and helpful and the HR are so quick and organized in their interview scheduling and notifying the results.

Bloomberg has a gorgeous office. The interviews are slightly difficult, the interviewers are helpful and guide you if your stuck as long as you keep thinking out loud.

I interviewed on a Thursday and received my offer on the following Monday!! I had a competing offer and they matched it during salary negotiations. They has awesome perks and benefits too.

Interview Questions

• My onsite interview consisted of total 4 rounds. 3 of them were fully technical and one was with the HR. They expect you to answer on paper using pen/pencil rather than white boarding.

Round 1: 2 Senior Devs. I answered about 4 coding questions. They included sorting algos, hashing and DP. Id say they were medium level questions on leetcode.

Round 2: 2 Seniors Devs. Answered 2 questions. These were completely new questions I had never encountered anything such before. They required knowledge of mathematics (line equations, slopes, etc), caching mechanism and distributed systems.

Round 3: HR. Very general Questions.

Round 4: One Very Senior Dev. He asked system design question. What components would you use to design systems, how to architect them, make them salable and justify all your design decisions.

They provide 20 mins lunch break in between. You are uninterrupted here no engineers or HR to talk to just enjoy your meal.
      1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in March 2013.

Interview

phone followed by on site all technical question in phone .. on site Olympiad level question. they asked me quo on arrays and list and graphs. company is very nice .. on site tour in the middle of new york. nice view from office. Free food.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in February 2009.

Interview

The interview process consisted of several rounds: 1 online test, 1 phone interview, 2 interviews on-site. Most questions were difficult to say the least. The online test measured your C/C++ skills. The phone interview was OK. The onsite interviews were difficult, especially the final one with the head of R&D and HR.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in June 2010.

Interview

On-line exam, thought it would mostly like be Java as thats what I selected in the application but the questions were mainly about C/C++. Extremely hard, coming out of university with a 1st class honours and I'd hardly heard of any of the concepts

Interview Questions

• What type of search is this? Had an example of code (can't remember it off the top of my head)   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in March 2010.

Interview

Resume submitted, immediate response with an "Application Acknowledgement" email confirmation. A few days later a one hour almost expert level UNIX/C/C++ telephone techincal interview was scheduled, one interviewer. In depth questions almost down to textbook definitions that I last saw in school. Technical questions which included Multithreading and general problem solving questions.

Interview Questions

• Significance of STATIC in C and c++   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in November 2009.

Interview

Firstly, I was contacted by then and was asked which programming language I preferred out of C, C++ and Java. I was then given 3 days to prepare for an online examination. The examination was really hard and was something that I had never encounter as an computer engineer.

Interview Questions

• Find the error and fill in the blanks, what is the output?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2017.

Interview

Submitted a CV online. Took almost a month to receive a response.

In the response e-mail they ask for your schedule and to provide dates for a technical phone interview. Be careful here because they will confirm the date 2-3 days before it happens, so you should start preparing straight away.

You can choose between C++, Java, and some other languages. The length of the whole interview is around 1 hour.

On the phone:

1) Tell me about yourself, your projects, etc
    2) Why Bloomberg?
    3) Two technical questions on a shared editor

This was a pretty bad experience. The interviewer seemed like he wanted me to complete the technical questions as fast as possible and didn't really care about anything else. During the technical stage I was describing my thought process but the interviewer was almost completely silent - I even had to ask if he was still on the phone!

My performance was average. On the first question, there was a small hint from him near the start which guided me to the optimal solution. I ended up getting most of it done but it was definitely a struggle and there were a few mistakes. The second question was much easier. I completed the question without any assistance and provided the optimal solution in around 10 minutes.

It was very uncomfortable overall. Did not hear from them again.

Interview Questions

• They were both Leetcode questions. Probably medium difficulty or easy.   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2017.

Interview

They called me on time. The questions were based on your cv, so don't write anything that you are not confident or comfortable with. In my case that asked me to talk about my programming project and why I like the particular language. The interviewer tried to help me when I got stuck. Overall, the time ratio was 3:2:1, cv questions, programming test, and asking questions I have.

Interview Questions

• Which of these languages you've learn would you recommend to someone who is considering start learning programming for the first time?   Answer Question
    • In which situations binary tree is better than linked list and why?   Answer Question
    • What is OO language?   Answer Question
    • What's the difference between Java and C?   Answer Question
    • What's the difference between heap and stack?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

First there was a one-on-one phone interview using a code sharing platform, it was mostly technical questions and took under an hour. Then I was invited to an on-site interview day. It started with a tour of the building, breakfast and introduction to the terminal. I then had two technical interviews where I didn't perform well but the interviewers were very kind and helpful.