Bloomberg L.P. Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bloomberg L.P. Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated May 11, 2017

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in May 2017.

Interview

I have applied on their website and 1 week later I had the first phone interview. The interviewer was really nice and patient. First we had a chat about my past experience and software development in general then we went to technical interview using HackerRank.
The overall impression was positive. The questions were not that difficult for someone who has experience with software development

Interview Questions

• 1. For a class hierarchy, detail which method is called in which order.
    2. Merge 2 lists or ordered elements.
    Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2017.

Interview

Submitted a CV online. Took almost a month to receive a response.

In the response e-mail they ask for your schedule and to provide dates for a technical phone interview. Be careful here because they will confirm the date 2-3 days before it happens, so you should start preparing straight away.

You can choose between C++, Java, and some other languages. The length of the whole interview is around 1 hour.

On the phone:

1) Tell me about yourself, your projects, etc
    2) Why Bloomberg?
    3) Two technical questions on a shared editor

This was a pretty bad experience. The interviewer seemed like he wanted me to complete the technical questions as fast as possible and didn't really care about anything else. During the technical stage I was describing my thought process but the interviewer was almost completely silent - I even had to ask if he was still on the phone!

My performance was average. On the first question, there was a small hint from him near the start which guided me to the optimal solution. I ended up getting most of it done but it was definitely a struggle and there were a few mistakes. The second question was much easier. I completed the question without any assistance and provided the optimal solution in around 10 minutes.

It was very uncomfortable overall. Did not hear from them again.

Interview Questions

• They were both Leetcode questions. Probably medium difficulty or easy.   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2017.

Interview

They called me on time. The questions were based on your cv, so don't write anything that you are not confident or comfortable with. In my case that asked me to talk about my programming project and why I like the particular language. The interviewer tried to help me when I got stuck. Overall, the time ratio was 3:2:1, cv questions, programming test, and asking questions I have.

Interview Questions

• Which of these languages you've learn would you recommend to someone who is considering start learning programming for the first time?   Answer Question
    • In which situations binary tree is better than linked list and why?   Answer Question
    • What is OO language?   Answer Question
    • What's the difference between Java and C?   Answer Question
    • What's the difference between heap and stack?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

First there was a one-on-one phone interview using a code sharing platform, it was mostly technical questions and took under an hour. Then I was invited to an on-site interview day. It started with a tour of the building, breakfast and introduction to the terminal. I then had two technical interviews where I didn't perform well but the interviewers were very kind and helpful.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Urbana, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Urbana, IL) in December 2014.

Interview

Met On Campus. Had 2 30 min on campus interviews. Was asked to stay for another interview after first 2. Was asked to fill out an application form online after the interviews. Got a rejection a couple of weeks later when I enquired about the application.

Interview Questions

• Given a singly linked list, detect if it has any cycles.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

The interview process was pretty lengthy, with 4 hours of Hackerrank coding + discussions of technical stuff (split into two 1-hour interviews and one 2-hour interview over the course of several weeks) and 4 hours of on-site interviews with the team, mostly about personal things like motivations, interests and best achievements at work.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tokyo (Japan)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Tokyo (Japan)).

Interview

Friendly atmosphere through the entire process. It took about 2+ weeks for HR to pick up application but then all next steps happen in a timely manner. You will talk over the phone about the basic stuff. Then you will be given a small homework. Then they invite you to the office.

In the office you talk to a number of people. Your future team members and management. Expect code pairing for the entire technical part. No complex or brain twisting stuff at all. Think of why do you want to work for BLP.

There will be no feedback once you have done.

Interview Questions

• Explain false sharing   Answer Question
    • Write a CPU emulator with a limited instruction set. Think of the debugger implementation.   Answer Question
    • How you would architect a market data distribution network   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

one month after send CV to company. I get the chance of phone interview. 1 weeks after that, i get the chance of AC and I am prepare for it.

Interview Questions

• The experience of the project i have be involved.
      Calculate the sum of every three continues number in a array
      Find the max number in a rotated sorted array
      Answer Question

Negotiation

The process of phone interview is positive to me.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Applied in October 2016, got a phone interview which was supposed to take place at the end of December. I wanted to reschedule the interview because I was away for the days they suggested. I never heard back from them. Overall, a bad experience. I have sent them a few e-mails, but it was useless

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

telephonic interview 1 hour:--
    what will you do if number is greater than current max size in the language - (use array to store the number)
    asked me to write a program with to add two integers store in an array format. (not that easy as it looks , took me whole 15 mins to write this...)
    we went over hashmap and hashset in java. why it is O(1) to for both. Also how hashcode gives location of element in the array in hashmap, what operation is performed to get it. and so on....

Interview Questions

• given a method which had for loop with 100,000 iteration and calling it to some method with heavy call ( for that exercise they used sleep). all the results from the method call stored in array. how will you improve performance.   1 Answer
    • question :-- how Messaging framework work. what if two brokers are connected and if one publisher publishes on a QUEUE and two subscribers on 2 different brokers waiting. how message is delivered.   1 Answer
    • i was give a program with errors which was connecting an endpoint in java with httpclient. i needed to check what is the problem?   1 Answer