Bloomberg L.P. Software Developer Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Bloomberg L.P. Software Developer Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated May 26, 2017

3.1

48 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

I was initially contacted by a recruiter. We arranged a first technical call via phone.

The interview starts with general information about the company and position. Later you walk through your CV highlighting any achievements. Everything went pretty smooth at this stage. I seemed to have impressed the interviewer with some good optimizations in the past.

There were generally two or three things that some will see as red flags that occured during the interview:

1) The interviewer was mentioning languages and implementation details when referring to giving a high level view of the infrastructure.
2) The interviewer was very pushy into forcing the coding solution as to his mind - instead of respecting the interviewee's approach.
3) The interviewer didn't seem to understand that O(n3), O(n2) and O(n1) are the same thing and insisted in providing the most optimized solution from the beginning.

The wost part was the technical part. I was asked to solve a technical problem (in Python for the role I applied). The problem itself is not that hard but personally I got a bit mixed in the problem and then the interviewer made it harder for me instead of helping me with hints for the existing code.

The interviewer asked me about what I had in mind and its complexity. I said O(n3) and the reason behind it. He mentioned there is a better way so I managed to think of a better way giving O(n2). He insisted on an O(n1) approach and I got a rough idea about the implementation he meant.

The problem was that I still didn't manage to get the first approach to a workable solution and I was in some way forced to start again from the optimized solution. This just made it worse. After getting even more stuck, instead for the interviewer giving me some hints, he started micro-managing my approach which didn't actually affect the part where I got stuck at the first place. This totally broke my thinking (and even moral) since the implementation became something that the interviewer understood but was totally different from how I would do it.

Needless to say, I didn't go further. I think the specific interviewer was quite narrow-minded and I hope he doesn't represent the average personal at Bloomberg.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2017.

Interview

They called me on time. The questions were based on your cv, so don't write anything that you are not confident or comfortable with. In my case that asked me to talk about my programming project and why I like the particular language. The interviewer tried to help me when I got stuck. Overall, the time ratio was 3:2:1, cv questions, programming test, and asking questions I have.

Interview Questions

• Which of these languages you've learn would you recommend to someone who is considering start learning programming for the first time?   Answer Question
    • In which situations binary tree is better than linked list and why?   Answer Question
    • What is OO language?   Answer Question
    • What's the difference between Java and C?   Answer Question
    • What's the difference between heap and stack?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Applied in October 2016, got a phone interview which was supposed to take place at the end of December. I wanted to reschedule the interview because I was away for the days they suggested. I never heard back from them. Overall, a bad experience. I have sent them a few e-mails, but it was useless

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

one month after send CV to company. I get the chance of phone interview. 1 weeks after that, i get the chance of AC and I am prepare for it.

Interview Questions

• The experience of the project i have be involved.
      Calculate the sum of every three continues number in a array
      Find the max number in a rotated sorted array   Answer Question

Negotiation

The process of phone interview is positive to me.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

The interview process was pretty lengthy, with 4 hours of Hackerrank coding + discussions of technical stuff (split into two 1-hour interviews and one 2-hour interview over the course of several weeks) and 4 hours of on-site interviews with the team, mostly about personal things like motivations, interests and best achievements at work.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2017.

Interview

Submitted a CV online. Took almost a month to receive a response.

In the response e-mail they ask for your schedule and to provide dates for a technical phone interview. Be careful here because they will confirm the date 2-3 days before it happens, so you should start preparing straight away.

You can choose between C++, Java, and some other languages. The length of the whole interview is around 1 hour.

On the phone:

1) Tell me about yourself, your projects, etc
    2) Why Bloomberg?
    3) Two technical questions on a shared editor

This was a pretty bad experience. The interviewer seemed like he wanted me to complete the technical questions as fast as possible and didn't really care about anything else. During the technical stage I was describing my thought process but the interviewer was almost completely silent - I even had to ask if he was still on the phone!

My performance was average. On the first question, there was a small hint from him near the start which guided me to the optimal solution. I ended up getting most of it done but it was definitely a struggle and there were a few mistakes. The second question was much easier. I completed the question without any assistance and provided the optimal solution in around 10 minutes.

It was very uncomfortable overall. Did not hear from them again.

Interview Questions

• They were both Leetcode questions. Probably medium difficulty or easy.   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Had a phone interview with them. Normal phone screen interview. Some behavioral questions plus quite standard coding questions. Asked a question about hash table at the end. One thing is Bloomberg recruitment team keeps sending emails reminding that the application is not forgotten but under review.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

First there was a one-on-one phone interview using a code sharing platform, it was mostly technical questions and took under an hour. Then I was invited to an on-site interview day. It started with a tour of the building, breakfast and introduction to the terminal. I then had two technical interviews where I didn't perform well but the interviewers were very kind and helpful.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in May 2016.

Interview

The process took about 6 month. it consisted of a phone interview followed by 2 video conferences.
    I was invited to do the onsite interview in London May 2016. During the day I made a technical interview followed by a short hr interview.
    My feedback: I was treated very badly by the recruiter, I almost awaited 2 weeks for every reply or confirmation to come, that explains why the process took about 6 months, but it's shockingly different during the onsite interview, The recruiters were helpful and cheerful and the office is really fascinating.

Interview Questions

• phone interview: asked about my past experiences and CV, when creating an object in C++ what is the functions that are defined by default?.

first video conference: how would you design the history for a browser, all urls must be sorted by the time stamp of the last visit. e.g. when you visit a url for the second time it must go to the top of the list.

second video conference: given an array of different values and a number n, count how many pairs of indices x,y such that arr[x] + arr[y] = n.

I was asked about my motivation and why do I want to work for Bloomberg in all interviews.
      At the end of each interview you will be asked if you have any questions for the interviewer, make sure to prepare good ones.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2016.

Interview

I applied online through the Bloomberg Careers service. I was contacted for a phone interview about 2-3 weeks later. The interviewer on the phone asked several technical questions on Java

Interview Questions

• Order numbers in an array according to number of occurrencies.
      [3 4 3 4 2 1 3 4 2 4] --> [4 4 4 4 3 3 3 2 2 1]   Answer Question