Bloomberg L.P. Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bloomberg L.P. Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 25, 2017

454 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

A recruiter got in touch with me shortly after online application (around 2 weeks). First step scheduled for the following week, technical interview on HackerRankX. The interviewer was very nice and (seemed) happy with my solutions, as I was getting positive feedback along the way. I got cut off and they didn't provide any feedback. Disappointing.

Interview Questions

• Build a data structure to store and retrieve stock values of a given company.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in May 2017.

Interview

Referred by a friend. A recruiter contacted me and set up a screen interview on hackerrank. This is a 45min interview, starting with why Bloomberg, and why do you change from academia to industry. Then asked me two algorithm questions.

Interview Questions

• 1. return the maximum product of 3 numbers in an array
      2. print out the pairs of a number and the nearest greater number to its right in an array. Example: given [1,2,5,2,6], print out (1,2), (2,5), (5,6), (2,6)   7 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

Applied through employee referral . Got an email back in a week asking to schedule a phone interview. Had a one hour phone interview, talked about resume, why Bloomberg, basic algo/datastructures. The next day got an invitation onsite. Onsite spent first 30 mins touring, then split up into individual interviewers. Two technical rounds about an hour each. Then waited 45 minutes for the next interviewer to show up. Senior Engineer, system design question. Then a 30 min HR interview afterwards. Got email back one and a half weeks later telling me I had been rejected.

Interview Questions

• Reverse an Integer, a PriorityQueue question. Know your time complexitys and data structures, especially heaps   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

The nearest interview date was about 3-4 weeks from after I got the interview date. Recruiter was 15-20 minutes late. I was led into a room and interviewed by two more senior engineers for an hour long round of standard interview questions. I had lunch in this room, and some time later two different senior engineers came for the design round. One interviewer (Tom A.) did all the talking, and the other interviewer sat in silence and watched. Tom would ask 3 different questions and then ask you to respond, which I found annoying. Further, Tom asked very basic questions about every little technical detail and asked me to speak to him like he didn't have a technical background (What data structure would you use? What's a hashmap? What's a bucket? What's a hashcode?). This made solving the problem slower, but maybe it was a test for my ability to explain basic things effectively. Didn't get invited to further rounds, which as I understand means you didn't get the job.

Interview Questions

• What data structure would you use to store a collection of wood boards of a certain length? Given a desired length of board, how would you select a board or boards to minimize waste?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

The interviewer was really nice. The first ten minutes is asking questions about the skills in your resume. The other 35mins is to solve a coding problem. The process overall takes 45mins

Interview Questions

• Find the lowest common ancestor of two nodes in a binary tree   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY).

Interview

the interviewers come unprepared. they asked questions which clearly showed that they have not read my resume. Also 100 bucks card given to bear all the expenses(including cabs and food) is way too less.

Interview Questions

• I was prepared for algorithm or logical questions, but was asked something around languages- which was of least priority in my resume.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

1 technical phone interview + 4 rounds onsite. 2 technical rounds with engineers, 1 with HR and 1 with engineering manager (semi technical). Heavy emphasis on resume related questions. Know your resume like the back of your hand. Spend time on the technical details of all the projects you list there.

Interview Questions

• Phone interview - Leetcode #34 (search for a range)
      Onsite round 1 - Leetcode #117 (populating next pointers in trees), check if a linkedlist is a palindrome
      Onsite round 2 - data structure question about stock ticker, one open ended question related to my background.
      HR round - About career interests, expectations, background and past projects.
      Engineer Manager - A very deep discussion on one of my past projects, culture fit discussions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

Pretty smooth but kind of long interview process. Quick phone interview followed by an invitation to an onsite interview. The phone interview was pretty easy---I'm not a CS major and the interviewer knew this and asked questions tailored to my background. I had less luck at the onsite and the interviewers seemed to be expecting a solution that I hadn't encountered before. It's not their fault though, the question was still relatively easy with good interview prep and should be very doable with a solid CS background. Had two rounds at the onsite and was sent out, which meant I didn't get an offer as I expected. Still, it's a well-ran and not too difficult process

Interview Questions

• Prove that sqrt(2) is irrational (was only asked this because I was a math major)   1 Answer
    • Create an iterator for a binary search tree   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Park, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (College Park, MD) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied at a career fair, they asked a question on the spot and for me to write a code to solve it on paper. A couple days later I got an email asking to schedule an on campus interview.

Interview Questions

• Given a string "AABCCC" make a new string "2A1B3C"   3 Answers
    • Write a piece of code to find the square root of a number.   4 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2017.

Interview

I applied through career fair at my school and got emailed 3 weeks after. Later, I got a phone interview that lasted around 1 hour. The beginning of the interview was standard questions about resume, projects, skills and then a technical interview question.

Interview Questions

• Write a function to check if the tree is a binary search tree   Answer Question