Bloomberg L.P. Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bloomberg L.P. Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 23, 2017

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Had a 45-mins phone technical interview. There are 5 minutes of intro and 5 minutes Q&A at the end of the interview. Overall interview experience was okay, but it would be better if it was a video chat call instead because sometimes it's difficult to catch the interviewer's emotional signals over the phone.

Interview Questions

• Write a Stack class: push(),pop() methods without using built-in pop() method. Following questions was to write a MinStack class which contains a method that finds the minimal value of a stack using only push() and pop().   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Park, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (College Park, MD) in March 2017.

Interview

OPI, 4 rounds totally, 3 round of technical interview, 1 round with HR. For the previous 2 rounds, 2 interviewers each round, for the last 2 round, 1 interviewers each round. each round takes around 1 hour except for the last one.

Interview Questions

• round1: reverse Integer, Valid Parentheses(leetcode 20) (two interviewers)
      round2: 1.design a horse racing system 2. given a height matrix, decide whether the rain can flow form the inside column to the left and right margin(two interviewers)
      round 3: talk with a manger, some behavior question, how to find the kth largest number in an unsorted array.
      round 4: talk with HR, behavior question.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

It was a phone interview with screen sharing. The interview started with the interviewer asking me to introduce myself and then asked me about any exciting projects I worked on. Then after 10 minutes, the technical interview started.

Interview Questions

• In-place node swapping in a linked-list such that all odd position nodes come first followed by all the even position nodes and return the head node pointer.   Answer Question
    • Given an input string and a number n, return all the characters that are repeated atleast n times in the input string as a vector of characters.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

I applied Bloomberg through employee referral, and got the technique phone interview in one week. And gave you three weeks to prepare.

Technique phone interview process:
    1. Described my internship experience and asked the details of my project.
    2. What was the most challenge thing in your internship and how did you solve it
    3. Tested my algorithm questions and gave me some test cases to test my codes.

Interview Questions

• 1. arrange all zeros in an array to the end
      2. Add digits
      1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online sometime in Nov 2016. Received a mail from them in March 2017 that they want to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was exactly as expected with the same questions:
    The only unexpected part was that the interviewer was NOT friendly, neither was he encouraging. The interviewer was one of those who seemed disinterested and instead of understanding my logic, kept asking "Why does this test case fails". I made a silly mistake but I could have nailed it had the interviewer been at least little encouraging. Within 2 minutes of the end of the interview, I could run all the test cases - the error was so minor! I accept minor mistakes do cost jobs and take full responsibility, however,the interviewer was pretty disinterested which added to my problems. I provided a O(n) solution whereas the interview told me he does not think there is a solution better than O(n^2) which was , again, discouraging. Because, there definitely was a O(n) solution.
    Overall - my experience was bad.

Interview Questions

• 1. Tell me about yourself
      2. Why Bloomberg
      3. Tell me about your internship experience
      4. Coding question: given a array and a number k, find a contiguous longest subarray having sum <=k.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2017.

Interview

Got an email from HR to give my availability for a phone interview. The interviewer asked me about my resume and one question on HackerRank screen share(it's a text editor not a compiler). The interview was good and I answered the question in time and got a reject next day.

Interview Questions

• Validate a custom binary tree.
      1. For every even level the numbers are odd and aligned in descending order from left to right
      2. For every odd level the numbers are even aligned in descending order from right to left.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online, after one week, it asked me for a phone interview, then take about two weeks to wait for the phone interview, then after one week of the phone interview, an in-house interview was scheduled.

Interview Questions

• First, talk about the resume, the interview asked something about the project listed in the resume.
      Then there is a technique question. The question is about the moving average, then there are some follow-up questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online. HR quickly scheduled a phone screen.

The interviewer asked me to solve a few standard interview problems. I solved the first one without any problems (even after he started imposing some random constraints to make it harder). He then described a second problem, even simpler than the first (remove odd elements from an array. I answered this in probably 10 seconds without any difficulty, but then he asked me to solve the problem in some other arbitrary way (which was neither faster nor more memory efficient). After making the problem as convoluted as possible, he clearly stopped paying attention to the interview. In fact, he asked me after 10 minutes "sorry, wasn't listening, what's your approach?" and then chided me for solving the problem exactly as he had asked!

Overall I found the interviewer's behavior to be extremely disrespectful, and the entire process to be a waste of my time. I would have rather have been given a unit-tested HackerRank exam than an interviewer with a poor grasp of English and the attention span of a goldfish.

Interview Questions

• Solve the two-sum problem. Now solve it while minimizing amortized runtime. Now solve it again while minimizing amortized memory usage.   Answer Question
    • Remove odd numbers from a given array. Now remove them in place. Now solve it again, except solve it by partitioning even and odd elements to either side, then slicing the array (why???). After solving it exactly as described, the interviewer will chide you for not reading his mind and doing something else.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Got a train ticket to New York city and 1 night hotel stay at Fitzgerald Grand Central Hotel. Arrived at the building at 11:30 for a noon interview. They checked my coat, gave me lunch, and took me up to a conference room. Then after a moment, 2 engineers came in to ask me technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Find the kth largest element collectively from 2 sorted integer arrays.   1 Answer
    • Find the k largest elements of a constant input stream of values.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online back in Feb 2017. Received an email to provide availability for phone interview after a week. The phone interview was scheduled for 2 weeks later. It went well but didn't receive any email for a week. Contacted the recruiter and was told that I was invited for the in house interview. Due to weather conditions, my onsite interview got postponed by another week. The experience was good, like everyone else describes. Great office, lovely reception. First interview was with only one interviewer. It went pretty well. Didn't really expect me to code in any specific language. After first interview, was told to wait for 15-20 minutes. Second interview was with 2 interviewers. They were less friendlier but still polite and helpful. Could have done better but came up with solution for both problems. Was told to wait another 15-20 mins and was provided a sandwich for lunch. The weird part was having to sit in a conference room for the entire duration of the interview process. After the wait, was escorted out by another HR. That was when I realized that I would be rejected.

Even though I was happy with my performance, I probably could have done better. The interview process was good overall.

Interview Questions

• 1) Given two integer arrays A and B, where A is larger in size than B, find the intersection of the two arrays, i.e. the elements that are present in both A and B.
      2) Given an unordered list of tasks, where a task is a class that has an id and a parent id, implement a function called killBranch. killBranch would be passed the task id that is to be killed and the unordered list. The function should kill all the children tasks of the parent task needed to be killed and return the updated list. (No brute force solution, or topological sort)
      3) Given a set, return the power set.
      4) Design question.