Bloomberg L.P. Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bloomberg L.P. Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 29, 2017

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter, then set up a phone interview, during the entire process I simply wanted to know that if they wanted to test me that they wouldn't be doing so on simple programming concepts that are just a waste of time considering the usual demands of such positions. Seriously if I've been working at large names as a programmer for over 6 years, I don't want to tell you how to program quicksort in c++ for the thousandth time, cut the useless filler and stop wasting peoples time and effort.

Interview Questions

• All the normal stupid basic questions to make sure you have programmed at some point in your life, i.e. if you know how to do array/linked list, or any other basic structure you should be fine. Waste of time for me but might be worth it for someone else.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

resume questions, basic knowledge in computer science, two technical problems and some follow ups. Didn't get the point for the second problem firstly, interviewer gives good guide and finally I solved it.

Interview Questions

• decide whether there are duplicates in an array.
      deal with a stream of pairs and whether one can get to certain point

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Had a 45-mins phone technical interview. There are 5 minutes of intro and 5 minutes Q&A at the end of the interview. Overall interview experience was okay, but it would be better if it was a video chat call instead because sometimes it's difficult to catch the interviewer's emotional signals over the phone.

Interview Questions

• Write a Stack class: push(),pop() methods without using built-in pop() method. Following questions was to write a MinStack class which contains a method that finds the minimal value of a stack using only push() and pop().   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Park, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (College Park, MD) in March 2017.

Interview

OPI, 4 rounds totally, 3 round of technical interview, 1 round with HR. For the previous 2 rounds, 2 interviewers each round, for the last 2 round, 1 interviewers each round. each round takes around 1 hour except for the last one.

Interview Questions

• round1: reverse Integer, Valid Parentheses(leetcode 20) (two interviewers)
      round2: 1.design a horse racing system 2. given a height matrix, decide whether the rain can flow form the inside column to the left and right margin(two interviewers)
      round 3: talk with a manger, some behavior question, how to find the kth largest number in an unsorted array.
      round 4: talk with HR, behavior question.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

It was a phone interview with screen sharing. The interview started with the interviewer asking me to introduce myself and then asked me about any exciting projects I worked on. Then after 10 minutes, the technical interview started.

Interview Questions

• In-place node swapping in a linked-list such that all odd position nodes come first followed by all the even position nodes and return the head node pointer.   Answer Question
    • Given an input string and a number n, return all the characters that are repeated atleast n times in the input string as a vector of characters.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online. HR quickly scheduled a phone screen.

The interviewer asked me to solve a few standard interview problems. I solved the first one without any problems (even after he started imposing some random constraints to make it harder). He then described a second problem, even simpler than the first (remove odd elements from an array. I answered this in probably 10 seconds without any difficulty, but then he asked me to solve the problem in some other arbitrary way (which was neither faster nor more memory efficient). After making the problem as convoluted as possible, he clearly stopped paying attention to the interview. In fact, he asked me after 10 minutes "sorry, wasn't listening, what's your approach?" and then chided me for solving the problem exactly as he had asked!

Overall I found the interviewer's behavior to be extremely disrespectful, and the entire process to be a waste of my time. I would have rather have been given a unit-tested HackerRank exam than an interviewer with a poor grasp of English and the attention span of a goldfish.

Interview Questions

• Solve the two-sum problem. Now solve it while minimizing amortized runtime. Now solve it again while minimizing amortized memory usage.   Answer Question
    • Remove odd numbers from a given array. Now remove them in place. Now solve it again, except solve it by partitioning even and odd elements to either side, then slicing the array (why???). After solving it exactly as described, the interviewer will chide you for not reading his mind and doing something else.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

I applied Bloomberg through employee referral, and got the technique phone interview in one week. And gave you three weeks to prepare.

Technique phone interview process:
    1. Described my internship experience and asked the details of my project.
    2. What was the most challenge thing in your internship and how did you solve it
    3. Tested my algorithm questions and gave me some test cases to test my codes.

Interview Questions

• 1. arrange all zeros in an array to the end
      2. Add digits
      1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online sometime in Nov 2016. Received a mail from them in March 2017 that they want to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was exactly as expected with the same questions:
    The only unexpected part was that the interviewer was NOT friendly, neither was he encouraging. The interviewer was one of those who seemed disinterested and instead of understanding my logic, kept asking "Why does this test case fails". I made a silly mistake but I could have nailed it had the interviewer been at least little encouraging. Within 2 minutes of the end of the interview, I could run all the test cases - the error was so minor! I accept minor mistakes do cost jobs and take full responsibility, however,the interviewer was pretty disinterested which added to my problems. I provided a O(n) solution whereas the interview told me he does not think there is a solution better than O(n^2) which was , again, discouraging. Because, there definitely was a O(n) solution.
    Overall - my experience was bad.

Interview Questions

• 1. Tell me about yourself
      2. Why Bloomberg
      3. Tell me about your internship experience
      4. Coding question: given a array and a number k, find a contiguous longest subarray having sum <=k.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2017.

Interview

Got an email from HR to give my availability for a phone interview. The interviewer asked me about my resume and one question on HackerRank screen share(it's a text editor not a compiler). The interview was good and I answered the question in time and got a reject next day.

Interview Questions

• Validate a custom binary tree.
      1. For every even level the numbers are odd and aligned in descending order from left to right
      2. For every odd level the numbers are even aligned in descending order from right to left.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online, after one week, it asked me for a phone interview, then take about two weeks to wait for the phone interview, then after one week of the phone interview, an in-house interview was scheduled.

Interview Questions

• First, talk about the resume, the interview asked something about the project listed in the resume.
      Then there is a technique question. The question is about the moving average, then there are some follow-up questions.