Bloomberg L.P. Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bloomberg L.P. Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 10, 2017

460 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tel Aviv-Yafo (Israel)

Interview

I was first approached by phone, and explained about the company and the process, next was an online 30 minutes programming task. after that i came for a few hours of hands on programming tests, next was a 4 hours day including 4 straight 1 hour technical interviews with team members/leaders. after that i did not receive any notice from them at all. nice to have almost 10 hours of interviews and get no response when the company decides they will not take you.

Interview Questions

• many question including algorithms with data structures, SQL, dynamic programming, synchronization questions and knowledge of differences and workings of different languages, GC mechanisms, compiling and more.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2017.

Interview

2 phone interviews. The first was mostly behavioral. The second interview was both behavioral and technical. I was required to answer some coding questions via hackerrank as well as explaining previous projects I had done.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you would design an EER diagram for a specific database.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

I was called by the recruiter and forwarded to a different team to set-up a phone interview. The interviewer called in late and rushed through the one question he asked. Did not give me more 20 seconds to think. Got a reject the next day!

Interview Questions

• Given an array of numbers. Find out the number with odd frequency of occurrence.   1 Answer
    • All-in-one question: Tell me about yourself, a project you worked on, a complex problem solved and how did you solve it?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Ann Arbor, MI) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied through my University Career Fair for a software engineer position. Responded the same day and conducted an interview the following day. One hour interview with questions about my interest and two technical questions about data structures. The interviewers were professional and helpful.

Interview Questions

• Standard technical questions using heaps and binary search trees.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

First round was phone interview, I was informed by an HR that my interview was going to be at sometime prior a week. It's a bit weird that even though I had answered both questions that were asked, didn't hear back after the interview. it lasted for 1 hour.

Interview Questions

• Merge K sorted lists into a list?
      find the min depth of a binary tree?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied through employee referral. I got mail from HR within few weeks to schedule a first technical telephonic interview. During the interview, an interviewer asked me about my background and two technical question. One question was based on algorithms and the second question was about the system design problem. After that, I got an invite for an on-site interview at their New York location. There were two technical interviews, each one hour long. During the first on-site interview, there were two interviewers, and they asked me again system design problem and graph based problem. During the second on-site interview, the interviewer asked a question based on standard data structures.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

1.5 h phone interview and Hacker rank pair coding. Interviewer wasn't very pleasant, quite aggressive and dismissive. I am asking myself what must be atmosphere at Bloomberg if this is their interview process. One of the most unpleasant interviews I have done.

Interview Questions

• What is STL   Answer Question
    • How vector and map containers are implemented, what is access time requirement.   Answer Question
    • What are different types of memory. Interviewer drilled down more and more on each answer.   Answer Question
    • Write a c++ program that checks if two strings are anagrams of each other.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied online, got a phone interview and after that, I was invited to an on-site interview. The interview was supposed to start at 10:30 am, however, it started at 11:05 am. It started with a tour of their [amazing] building. The tour mainly consists of the name of celebrities who have visited Bloomberg or lived in the penthouse on top of their building. Then I had two interviews.
    The first one was with three software engineers, very nice people. The second one was with two other software engineers who were not very fluent in English. I could hardly understand them.
    The questions were basic graph/tree traversal and string manipulation questions. Interviewers were not very knowledgeable. I solved a question with DFS and the interviewer was insisting that BFS is a better approach for a very specific example (which he was right, but only for that specific example. On average both have the same run-time). There was a question I was trying to solve with dynamic programming and the interviewer couldn't understand the solution, He asked me to write the solution recursively.

After both interviews were done, I was told to wait for the recruiter. She came back 40 minutes later.
    In general very negative experience.

Interview Questions

• Compare Python and Java, Why Python is slower compared to C.

How to check a tree is a binary search tree?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied Online. They emailed me after 2 weeks to schedule a technical screening. Screening was scheduled after another 2 weeks. On the 3rd day after screening I got an email stating they want to invite me for an onsite interview.

I emailed my dates to confirm my onsite interview. Due to some reason they asked me to schedule it later and finally scheduled it after 4 weeks.

Interview was good. It starts with a tour of Bloomberg tower. Then they let me collect your food and reimbursement (if any). At that place 3 interviewers are waiting for me holding my resume. Then we walked to the room. They asked me technical questions based on data structure and complexity. Then another interviewer came after the current left. He asked me a design question. Then he guided me to the exit. I didn't had any HR of Manager interview. At that point I was confused as interview went well I answered most of their questions. I asked if I'll have any other interview or not. He said no they'll let me know about it later on. As per glassdoor reviews I knew I was rejected but as per last interviewer's answer I thought I still have a chance. They emailed me 3 days after about rejection. I asked for feedback but I never received any. But they emailed me the link to provide feedback about interview process which I did.

The surprising part was I met few other interviewee at the exit point. They've been told the same. Common thing about all of us was we were international students. I'm not sure does that mean something which I predict or not? If so then why they had wasted my 2 months because at the time of applying I mentioned about it . That was disappointing.

Interview Questions

• Design a linked list with four pointers left,right,up,down. Design an algo to find a particular node in these linked list. what is its complexity. Design an algo to find max and 2nd max value with minimum complexity. Design a Playing card system for blackjack and implement shuffle method.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Bloomington, IN) in January 2017.

Interview

The overall interview process was pretty easy. Applied online and got a call for an online screen share coding interview. The reply came back within a week about the decision they had made on my selection process.

Interview Questions

• Write a function to calculate the tax based on the tax formulae which USA calculates   Answer Question