Bloomberg L.P. Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Bloomberg L.P. Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Bloomberg L.P.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by HR to set up the technical phone interview along with a screen share. I was provided with a hackerrank link but it was not a hackerrank question but was a text editor to be use during the phone interview. I was asked questions on hashtable and its complexity

Interview Questions

• You have a matrix of size nxn, you have to print the diagonal elements of matrix starting from the corner [n,n] then [n,n-1], [n-1,n] then [n,n-2],[n-1,n-1],[n-1,n]........ upto [0,0]. I was also asked a question on string (I don't remember that)   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

Interview

Applied through their career site. Phone Interview (date set prior with email) using a "HackerRank". The questions were fairly straightforward. (Background noise from the Interviewer made it a bit difficult. I heard at least 2 other people talking in the background very loudly)
    The interviewer seemed to not be prepared with one of the questions and was not clear.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY).

Interview

You go through four cycles. Two technical interviews with interviewers who seem to have been pulled away from their desks by surprise. Then you go on to interview with a director or manager for the team you applied to. Afterwards, you'll finish off the interview process with an interview with HR. If you do not make it through at least three rounds, expect a rejection or continuation of your interview.

Interview Questions

• Asked technical questions related to data structures and algorithms.

Example: Maximum subarray problem involving gas stations.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in March 2014.

Interview

First, I had a phone interview, then two on site interviews. Then the manager interviewed with me. All the questions were technical and C questions. I was first approved for an interview with the manager only, but they made a mistake and I had three technical interviews first instead of only one.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2015.

Interview

The interview process is very good. I applied to Bloomberg during its campus recruitment. I took two face-to-face interview on campus and another final round on-site. The interview questions are very general and they don't mind if you have any syntax errors (mis-spelled or anything else). The interviewers are very nice. They do not push you hard to make your nervous.

Interview Questions

• How to rotate a matrix? How to reverse a LinkedList? How to implement a spell-checker.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

At first, the staff in campus fair asks me to drop resume on their website, and I do so. After few days comes the phone Interview, but I am rejected.

Interview Questions

• 1. Why their company. 2. What different between JAVA and C++(cuz I said I use JAVA), describe them. 3. Two sum and little modification on it.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Boston, MA) in March 2015.

Interview

Got a call back for a technical interview after speaking with the company at my school's career fair. I met with two employees in a small room in my school's engineering department. They went straight to technical questions. The atmosphere felt pretty intense/nerve-racking so I definitely recommend arriving prepared and confident.

Interview Questions

• They asked questions about algorithmic complexity (for example, the advantages/disadvantages between vectors and lists) and then gave me coding challenges to solve on the spot (for example, write a function to sum up the digits in a number).   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

The whole process was fast. My recruiter contacted me to get me a phone interview one week after I applied on their website. My phone interview was on Friday, and the next Monday I got an invitation for an onsite interview in New York. Onsite interview was two-round technical. If you do well in them, you'll get two more. Overall, I had a good experience with Bloomberg, my interviewers were friendly, the hotel they booked for me was nice, and they gave me enough money to take care of the transportation.

Interview Questions

• Reverse words in a sentence (a char[]) without using additional space.
      eg. "Hello there children" -> "children there Hello"   6 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online. Received phone interview request within 3 weeks. On the phone I was asked two technical questions.
    *First one is to find the loop in a linked-list.
    *Second one was a bit different, my interviewer asked me to consider a function which is shaped as an S-curve in x-y plane which is always increasing. Then he asked me to find the corresponding x value of a given y value. (the function was a black-box function, I didn't know what it does). He was so helpful and he helped me in both of the questions to find the correct answers.

After the phone interview I got the invitation of in-house interview within 3 days. I went to Bloomberg tower which was quite fascinating(the view from 29th floor etc.).

In the interview process, I only survived two rounds. In the first round there were three people. Two of them were interviewers and one was monitoring the interview process. The questions;

1-) How to maximize the profit from tomorrow's stock information. I was allowed to do two transactions, the first one was buying and the second one was selling. I needed to find the best possible buy point and sell point to maximize my profit.

2-) In a string containing paranthesis, curly brackets, brackets, how to control if the string is valid( every opened paranthesis, curly brackets and brackets must be closed before string is ended)
        - Correct answer was to put special characters in a stack and then check them.

The questions were not that hard but I failed to give the answers within 45 minutes and my interviewers helped me to go through the solution. In the second round there was only one interviewer (most probably the project manager) asked me some basic questions at first. First from my resume and then difference between list and vector. The push_back function's complexity in vector. Then he moved on the real question;

1-) add sibling pointer to a complete binary search tree. In every level of the tree, one-right node would be the sibling of the current node. The rightmost node's sibling pointer of each level should be set to NULL. Here is an example;

3 7
       2 4 6 8
    In this BST, 7 is the sibling of 3. 4 is the sibling of 2. 6 is the sibling of 4 etc. 5,7 and 8 has sibling pointer of NULL.

He helped me to find the correct answer but I failed to write the code for it within 45 minutes. After this interview, he escort me to the entrance of the building and told me I will receive the answer within few days.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Applied online. Got call from recruiting coordinator to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was completely technical.Total Time 45 mins. Just 5 mins to learn about you and to gauge your background. Then a programming question for which i had to write the code in Javascript( I chose it !) on HackerRank's code-Pair. Overall, i would say the interview was of average difficulty. I was able to solve the question( i was on right track) but due to time constraint and interview jitters just was unable to get my code to run. The interviewer was very helpful and the interview as a whole was a nice experience.

Interview Questions

• How would you sort the list of version numbers. For eg: You are given a list A as ["1.1","1.1.5","12.0","1.23","12.3"]. Now sort this ?   6 Answers