Bloomberg L.P. Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bloomberg L.P. Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated May 20, 2017

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online back in Feb 2017. Received an email to provide availability for phone interview after a week. The phone interview was scheduled for 2 weeks later. It went well but didn't receive any email for a week. Contacted the recruiter and was told that I was invited for the in house interview. Due to weather conditions, my onsite interview got postponed by another week. The experience was good, like everyone else describes. Great office, lovely reception. First interview was with only one interviewer. It went pretty well. Didn't really expect me to code in any specific language. After first interview, was told to wait for 15-20 minutes. Second interview was with 2 interviewers. They were less friendlier but still polite and helpful. Could have done better but came up with solution for both problems. Was told to wait another 15-20 mins and was provided a sandwich for lunch. The weird part was having to sit in a conference room for the entire duration of the interview process. After the wait, was escorted out by another HR. That was when I realized that I would be rejected.

Even though I was happy with my performance, I probably could have done better. The interview process was good overall.

Interview Questions

• 1) Given two integer arrays A and B, where A is larger in size than B, find the intersection of the two arrays, i.e. the elements that are present in both A and B.
    2) Given an unordered list of tasks, where a task is a class that has an id and a parent id, implement a function called killBranch. killBranch would be passed the task id that is to be killed and the unordered list. The function should kill all the children tasks of the parent task needed to be killed and return the updated list. (No brute force solution, or topological sort)
    3) Given a set, return the power set.
    4) Design question.
    Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

I applied Bloomberg through employee referral, and got the technique phone interview in one week. And gave you three weeks to prepare.

Technique phone interview process:
    1. Described my internship experience and asked the details of my project.
    2. What was the most challenge thing in your internship and how did you solve it
    3. Tested my algorithm questions and gave me some test cases to test my codes.

Interview Questions

• 1. arrange all zeros in an array to the end
      2. Add digits
      1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Got a train ticket to New York city and 1 night hotel stay at Fitzgerald Grand Central Hotel. Arrived at the building at 11:30 for a noon interview. They checked my coat, gave me lunch, and took me up to a conference room. Then after a moment, 2 engineers came in to ask me technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Find the kth largest element collectively from 2 sorted integer arrays.   1 Answer
    • Find the k largest elements of a constant input stream of values.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2017.

Interview

A phone interview about 45 minutes, including some basic behavior questions and 2 technical questions.

Used hackerrank for the coding part. The question is not difficult. I was only asked to write the code to solve the problem, no need to provide test case.

Interview Questions

• Behavior questions like "why Bloomberg" and "describe one of your project" ...   Answer Question
    • Tech question1 : Linkedlist cycle. Find if there is a cycle in one linkedlist.   Answer Question
    • Tech question2 : Find the intersection of two integer arrays. There might be duplicates in the arrays.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online, got callback for phone screen a couple weeks later. Was called on-site about a week after phone screen (I had to postpone for a couple months, and Bloomberg was very accommodating). Got a response within 3-4 days after the on-site interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online sometime in Nov 2016. Received a mail from them in March 2017 that they want to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was exactly as expected with the same questions:
    The only unexpected part was that the interviewer was NOT friendly, neither was he encouraging. The interviewer was one of those who seemed disinterested and instead of understanding my logic, kept asking "Why does this test case fails". I made a silly mistake but I could have nailed it had the interviewer been at least little encouraging. Within 2 minutes of the end of the interview, I could run all the test cases - the error was so minor! I accept minor mistakes do cost jobs and take full responsibility, however,the interviewer was pretty disinterested which added to my problems. I provided a O(n) solution whereas the interview told me he does not think there is a solution better than O(n^2) which was , again, discouraging. Because, there definitely was a O(n) solution.
    Overall - my experience was bad.

Interview Questions

• 1. Tell me about yourself
      2. Why Bloomberg
      3. Tell me about your internship experience
      4. Coding question: given a array and a number k, find a contiguous longest subarray having sum <=k.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online, after one week, it asked me for a phone interview, then take about two weeks to wait for the phone interview, then after one week of the phone interview, an in-house interview was scheduled.

Interview Questions

• First, talk about the resume, the interview asked something about the project listed in the resume.
      Then there is a technique question. The question is about the moving average, then there are some follow-up questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

This is for the 2017 Software Engineer position. 45 minutes technical phone interview and then an in-person interview. Interviewer failed to call me twice which caused the process to take longer. Recruiter did everything via email which was bad. I wish I had an initial call to understand what the job entails and how the program is setup and ask question before the technical phone screen. Wouldn't interview with this company again because the entire interview process was messy and I was disappointed because I like the company. I found out that the first 3 months of the job is all training(getting to know the company, learning some languages and technologies), then there's a presentation from different teams, you later have to select one which you'd like to join after training.

Interview Questions

• Why Bloomberg? Tell me about yourself and what you do? Given 11000111, output how far each 0 is from the current index. So output should be 21000123   5 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2017.

Interview

I got an email from the recruiter a couple of weeks ago. The recruiter was friendly and she scheduled a call with a senior software engineer after a week.

The interviewer called me on time and he asked me following questions.

1) Why Bloomberg
    2) Explain a project that you are proud of

Next, we proceeded towards the technical interview questions (Please see below). The interviewer was not nice nor rude. He has a different accent. I felt that he didn't pay much attention towards the interview. I have solved all the problems, I dont know why he did not select me. Anyways, overall it was a good interview.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2017.

Interview

45 minute technical phone screen.
    10 minute behavioral questions and intro
    30 minute one coding question
        -find duplicates and arrange them by order of frequency
    5 minute questions to ask

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Specific about the project and a challenge you went through.   1 Answer