Bloomberg L.P. Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bloomberg L.P. Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 14, 2017

451 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

I had a phone screening after applying online, it was a fairly easy technical interview on HackerRank.
I then had four interviews in their offices in NYC: 2 rounds of technical interviews, 1 HR interview, 1 interview with a manager.
I also had another phone interview with a specific team after receiving an offer .

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Bloomberg?
    Technical questions: usually one easy "classic" question followed by a more difficult one   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online sometime in Nov 2016. Received a mail from them in March 2017 that they want to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was exactly as expected with the same questions:
    The only unexpected part was that the interviewer was NOT friendly, neither was he encouraging. The interviewer was one of those who seemed disinterested and instead of understanding my logic, kept asking "Why does this test case fails". I made a silly mistake but I could have nailed it had the interviewer been at least little encouraging. Within 2 minutes of the end of the interview, I could run all the test cases - the error was so minor! I accept minor mistakes do cost jobs and take full responsibility, however,the interviewer was pretty disinterested which added to my problems. I provided a O(n) solution whereas the interview told me he does not think there is a solution better than O(n^2) which was , again, discouraging. Because, there definitely was a O(n) solution.
    Overall - my experience was bad.

Interview Questions

• 1. Tell me about yourself
      2. Why Bloomberg
      3. Tell me about your internship experience
      4. Coding question: given a array and a number k, find a contiguous longest subarray having sum <=k.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online, after one week, it asked me for a phone interview, then take about two weeks to wait for the phone interview, then after one week of the phone interview, an in-house interview was scheduled.

Interview Questions

• First, talk about the resume, the interview asked something about the project listed in the resume.
      Then there is a technique question. The question is about the moving average, then there are some follow-up questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

This is for the 2017 Software Engineer position. 45 minutes technical phone interview and then an in-person interview. Interviewer failed to call me twice which caused the process to take longer. Recruiter did everything via email which was bad. I wish I had an initial call to understand what the job entails and how the program is setup and ask question before the technical phone screen. Wouldn't interview with this company again because the entire interview process was messy and I was disappointed because I like the company. I found out that the first 3 months of the job is all training(getting to know the company, learning some languages and technologies), then there's a presentation from different teams, you later have to select one which you'd like to join after training.

Interview Questions

• Why Bloomberg? Tell me about yourself and what you do? Given 11000111, output how far each 0 is from the current index. So output should be 21000123   5 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2017.

Interview

I got an email from the recruiter a couple of weeks ago. The recruiter was friendly and she scheduled a call with a senior software engineer after a week.

The interviewer called me on time and he asked me following questions.

1) Why Bloomberg
    2) Explain a project that you are proud of

Next, we proceeded towards the technical interview questions (Please see below). The interviewer was not nice nor rude. He has a different accent. I felt that he didn't pay much attention towards the interview. I have solved all the problems, I dont know why he did not select me. Anyways, overall it was a good interview.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2017.

Interview

45 minute technical phone screen.
    10 minute behavioral questions and intro
    30 minute one coding question
        -find duplicates and arrange them by order of frequency
    5 minute questions to ask

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Specific about the project and a challenge you went through.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Very simple questions, there was nothing I cannot answer. But, I had a very bad experience with them. One of the interviews was sleeping during the interview. He was also 15 minutes late to the interview. Very unprofessional!

Interview Questions

• Find the maximum number in a rotated sorted array   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Princeton, NJ) in March 2017.

Interview

The phone interviewer forgot to call me the first time. I had to email recruiter to reschedule the interview.
    The experience onsite is not good either. The interview starts half an hour late. They told me there would be two interviewers in the second one but only one showed up. And after two interviews they told me to wait in the main entrance for around half an hour. But I waited for more than two hours. They couldn't find an HR to do a behavior interview and had to do a conference call to New York office to conduct the interview. Feel like they didn't care about a candidate at all.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2017.

Interview

The phone interview went pretty well. The interviewer just asked few questions like why bloomberg and favorite project. Then a technical problem which is the same as leetcode 273.
    I didn't do well for I forgot to consider some corner cases.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2017.

Interview

They gave me a phone interview. First talk about experience and then some algorithm problems and sql queries. The questions are basic knowledges and they expect you to show communication skills via the interview.

Interview Questions

See What Bloomberg L.P. Employees Are Saying

StarStarStarStarStar   Former Reporter in New York, NY

Pros: “The breakfast, I long for that breakfast. 10+ types of cereal, 5+ types of bread, every conceivable type of milk (dairy! soy! almond!), hot oatmeal, fresh peanut butter, fruit, veggies...”“The breakfast, I long for that breakfast. 10+ types of cereal, 5+ types of bread, every conceivable type of milk (dairy! soy! almond!), hot oatmeal, fresh peanut butter, fruit, veggies. Need I go on? Eating breakfast at Bloomberg every day was sometimes the highlight of my day – and frankly, my grumbling stomach was a primary motivator to get to work many days. Salaries are comparatively high, benefits are decent-ish (swipe that AmEx and max out that 401(k) match, yo!), there’s a strong philanthropic mission and the Terminal is like a nerdier version of Googling. There’s also a lotta eye candy in the office (hellooooooo sales), if that’s your thing. Or real candy, if you have a sweet tooth. There’s the summer party that keeps going downhill (just give employees the cash already!) and offers a “fun” opportunity to avoid people on a weekend who you actively avoid conversing with during the week. And where there’s a will, there’s a way...to cobble together a sad lunch at your desk (always your desk) that’ll have you saying things you almost come to believe…like, “But at least I didn’t spend $10!” (Which you know is a lie, because the halal guys have $4 sandwiches and there’s McDonald’s a stone’s throw away). To be sure, there are some really great people who’ve also gone wayward. If you find your peoples, some days are…fine. Plus, there’s always a layoff around the corner that gives you reason to daydream (‘til it happens to you) and then gossip about who got the ax, only to completely forget that person by the next day.” – Full Review