Bloomberg L.P. Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bloomberg L.P. Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Dec 13, 2017

517 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

Applied via agency. Their own recruiting works poorly and declined me previously on their site. Phone screen, then technical coding session. Algorithmic questions with little follow-up. Just another trivial interview.

Interview Questions

• find target sum elements in array, find max diff in array   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

The process was straightforward. First a phone interview with an online coding component, then an in-person interview at Bloomberg in New York. All the question were regular coding/optimization questions. The engineers were helpful and answered questions about the culture at Bloomberg.

Interview Questions

• Write code to keep track of the running minimum in a stack.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

I was called by the recruiter and forwarded to a different team to set-up a phone interview. The interviewer called in late and rushed through the one question he asked. Did not give me more 20 seconds to think. Got a reject the next day!

Interview Questions

• Given an array of numbers. Find out the number with odd frequency of occurrence.   2 Answers
    • All-in-one question: Tell me about yourself, a project you worked on, a complex problem solved and how did you solve it?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted by recruiter. Overall the process didn't have too many surprises. Phone interview / HackerRank shared screen coding session - after about a week I was informed I made it through to the in-person interview. The in-person interview consisted of two technical (pencil and paper coding) rounds with two engineers each. After that I was given lunch and interviewed by a manager (general discussion - who you are, general technology stuff. Very conversation-oriented). Finally I was interviewed by an HR worker.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

1 technical phone interview + 4 rounds onsite. 2 technical rounds with engineers, 1 with HR and 1 with engineering manager (semi technical). Heavy emphasis on resume related questions. Know your resume like the back of your hand. Spend time on the technical details of all the projects you list there.

Interview Questions

• Phone interview - Leetcode #34 (search for a range)
      Onsite round 1 - Leetcode #117 (populating next pointers in trees), check if a linkedlist is a palindrome
      Onsite round 2 - data structure question about stock ticker, one open ended question related to my background.
      HR round - About career interests, expectations, background and past projects.
      Engineer Manager - A very deep discussion on one of my past projects, culture fit discussions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in May 2017.

Interview

Referred by a friend. A recruiter contacted me and set up a screen interview on hackerrank. This is a 45min interview, starting with why Bloomberg, and why do you change from academia to industry. Then asked me two algorithm questions.

Interview Questions

• 1. return the maximum product of 3 numbers in an array
      2. print out the pairs of a number and the nearest greater number to its right in an array. Example: given [1,2,5,2,6], print out (1,2), (2,5), (5,6), (2,6)   10 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

A recruiter got in touch with me shortly after online application (around 2 weeks). First step scheduled for the following week, technical interview on HackerRankX. The interviewer was very nice and (seemed) happy with my solutions, as I was getting positive feedback along the way. I got cut off and they didn't provide any feedback. Disappointing.

Interview Questions

• Build a data structure to store and retrieve stock values of a given company.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

Applied through employee referral . Got an email back in a week asking to schedule a phone interview. Had a one hour phone interview, talked about resume, why Bloomberg, basic algo/datastructures. The next day got an invitation onsite. Onsite spent first 30 mins touring, then split up into individual interviewers. Two technical rounds about an hour each. Then waited 45 minutes for the next interviewer to show up. Senior Engineer, system design question. Then a 30 min HR interview afterwards. Got email back one and a half weeks later telling me I had been rejected.

Interview Questions

• Reverse an Integer, a PriorityQueue question. Know your time complexitys and data structures, especially heaps   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

The nearest interview date was about 3-4 weeks from after I got the interview date. Recruiter was 15-20 minutes late. I was led into a room and interviewed by two more senior engineers for an hour long round of standard interview questions. I had lunch in this room, and some time later two different senior engineers came for the design round. One interviewer (Tom A.) did all the talking, and the other interviewer sat in silence and watched. Tom would ask 3 different questions and then ask you to respond, which I found annoying. Further, Tom asked very basic questions about every little technical detail and asked me to speak to him like he didn't have a technical background (What data structure would you use? What's a hashmap? What's a bucket? What's a hashcode?). This made solving the problem slower, but maybe it was a test for my ability to explain basic things effectively. Didn't get invited to further rounds, which as I understand means you didn't get the job.

Interview Questions

• What data structure would you use to store a collection of wood boards of a certain length? Given a desired length of board, how would you select a board or boards to minimize waste?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

The interviewer was really nice. The first ten minutes is asking questions about the skills in your resume. The other 35mins is to solve a coding problem. The process overall takes 45mins

Interview Questions

• Find the lowest common ancestor of two nodes in a binary tree   Answer Question