Bloomberg L.P. Software Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bloomberg L.P. Software Engineering Interview Questions

Interviews at Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

The initial phone screen consisted of a brief introduction of the interviewer followed by a brief review of my background and items on my resume. We then moved onto two technical questions comparable to easy/medium Leetcode questions.

I heard back and they followed up with an onsite invitation. At the onsite, the interviewees were given a tour of the office. This was followed by a lunchbox pickup (and reimbursement pickup if you needed one). Then, we were led to our respective rooms for interviewing.

The format for the onsite that most people are aware of was consistent with mine: 2 technicals comprising 1 algorithms and 1 design, followed by 1 HR and 1 managerial interview if you pass the first two. The first interview went fine (a little struggle at the end but the interviewer helped push me in the right direction). The second interview went alright. It was more of the interviewer and me bouncing around different details and comparing solutions to various situations that the design could encounter. Just be open to the fact that the interviewer will approach your design from different angles.

If you pass those two, they'll move on to two more interviews. The first one for me was HR. Two representatives from HR came in and sat with me to discuss background, resume items, career goals, and the typical "Why Bloomberg?" type of questions. Finally, I ended on the senior engineer interview, which was like another technical interview (resume, background, and technical questions).

Overall, the process was really smooth. The environment that I was interviewing in was really cool (I got to see a lot of people going back and forth and meetings happen and stuff). And the interviewers, contrary to what some people have experienced here, were extremely nice, helpful, and excited when they spoke about what they do at Bloomberg.

Call for an offer came a few days later. Just keep preparing on Leetcode questions and make sure you're up to snuff with your projects on your resume (or any recent projects that you can talk about).

Interview Questions

• What made you choose Bloomberg over the previous location listed on your resume?   Answer Question
  • (A little harder than this but very similar) Reverse a string in-place.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

Connected by the requiter, the interview was scheduled in two week. 45 minutes long. Couple of questions about the resume, responsibilities, projects, then the coding part on the interview took place. There was two algo questions. They don't really care what kind of language you will use, more focused on logic and problem solving.

Interview Questions

• Convert one data format to another ( 1000000 to 1,000,000.00 )   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY).

Interview

The WORST company I have ever interviewed with. Nothing against the interviewers, they were awesome and helpful. Its the recruitment process that's astonishingly disorganized. First of all, interviewers failed to show up twice for the first interview. Recruiter is slow in rescheduling and responding emails. Then right before the final round for onsite, they canceled my flight and interview just a few days before the final round onsite interview saying that they've found enough interns. Bloomberg is notorious at my school for rejecting people unreasonably and having disorganized recruitment process, this didn't just happen to me but a lot of my friends as well, Yes, their scheduled interviews were canceled because Bloomberg found enough interns.

Interview Questions

• Why Bloomberg? Data structure questions such as HashMap, reversing a linked list, sparse matrix multiplication.....   Answer Question
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

Phone interview.
    First introduced one of my projects and what difficulty I met.
    Then two simple coding questions both from leetcode. Do not need to run the code, just test by hand.
    At last ask some questions to interviewer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

I am a new grad and had applied on the careers page of Bloomberg website. I then received a mail after 10 days asking me to provide dates for a telephonic interview. I proposed 3-5 dates; but then did not get any response whatsoever. I mailed them again proposing 3-4 additional dates and eventually got a telephonic interview scheduled. This time though, the interviewer never called! I was already having second thoughts about working for such a company but the recruiter apologized and scheduled the telephonic for another day. Finally, I got a call.

Telephonic Interview:
    The interviewer was knowledgeable. We discussed in detail about my previous work experience. He then gave a very simple programming question (the kind you would solve in the first year of your undergrad studies). He then allowed me to ask him questions and I learnt a good deal about the kind of work and the teams at Bloomberg. Within a couple of hours, I got an email inviting me for the on-site interview in New York.

On-site interview:
     I had two rounds of technical interview with a 20 min break in between. On the day, 10 other students were invited for interview. We were given a brief tour of the office and then each one of us were given a snack box. We then proceeded to different conference rooms to be interviewed. Unlike many other interviews that I had attended, I had to write the code on paper instead of on whiteboard.

One of the interviewers for my first round came in late. Until then, I was discussing about the work at Bloomberg with another interviewer. We then talked briefly about my previous experience. The question was a simple 2D-Array traversal problem. The interviewer seemed to have had a very specific approach in my mind and was chipping in every now and then with questions and input even before I was fully done with writing the program. I then stopped, told them what I had in mind and how I planned to do it and then proceeded to write the code again.

The second round was similar. This time, I was asked a tree-traversal problem, every node in the tree could have arbitrary number of children. I had to decide my data structure and write a function to traverse the that tree. In this round, the interviewer seemed uninterested. Whenever, I asked a question about the nature of work and the company, the interviewer would turn defensive and provide answers in rhetorics.

Overall, the whole experience did not paint a very good picture about the company for me.

Interview Questions

• Given a 2D matrix, print all the elements one diagonal at a time.   Answer Question
    • Given a root of tree where every node can have arbitrary number of children, write a function which would truncate the tree to a given height and return the root. The leaf nodes of the truncated tree should have the sum of all its children as its value. Define your own data structure to represent the tree.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

I got an opportunity to interview with Bloomberg through referral. A recruiter contacted me by second week of November to schedule the phone interview. I was asked for a set of convenient dates. The phone interview used HackerRank coding console, the interviewer was very knowledgable and I was questioned on very minute details as I was coding. I was confident that I would be called for onsite interview and it eventually happened a week later.

Everything about my travel was taken care by the recruiter. During the interview day, a HR person toured us through the office. Then the technical interview started, I prepared myself to solve any question that you can find in glassdoor, but no luck; and my learning from this interview is that one should be really familiar with the different approaches of solving the question; given the time complexity requirement. My advice for the candidates who are preparing for Bloomberg's interview is that do not take this interview so lightly; the interviewers here are very knowledgable and be prepared with the list of different problem solving approaches.

Interview Questions

• 1. Phone interview - Sort the characters in string by frequency and then by their alphabetical order.
      Example - bbaaccc -> cccaabb
      2. The question that screwed me - given array is [0,1,1,0,1,1,1] ; output should be [0,1,1,0,1,2,3]
      ie., for every non-zero element in array, find its distance to the nearest zero in O(n) time. i would definitely encourage the candidates who read this post to share their solution for this question.
      3. In order traversal of Binary search tree related (the solution is to start from right sub tree).   16 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

Bloomberg had come on campus. First round was conducted by 2 interviewers asking simple data structure questions linked list and tree. Second round involved a design question and puzzle. Last round was on site however, the managers were stuck asking irrelevant and stupid questions. All of them aimed at questioning the things not done by me. Asked me questions like if I ever have written code or just know theory. The experience was humiliating and felt like walking out of the interview.

Interview Questions

• Why didn't you do internship? What is more important theory or coding? How would you select a job?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

It was phone screening. The interviewer explains questions really clear. It was such a nice process. I asked a lot questions to clarify any possible confusions, and he is really patient. I was offered an on-site one day after, and they paid for my hotel for one night and flights.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about binary tree (bst/ balanced bst), and system design   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Atlanta, GA) in November 2016.

Interview

Interviewer was nice and helpful. Did not ask much about behavioral question. Only asked 1 question before starting the technical interview. Asked mostly about data structure as well as personal project.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

First was a phone interview with a software engineer on HackerRank where I was asked a single simple programming question. Next was an onsite interview in New York City where I had two technical interviews back to back concerning problem solving and indepth language knowledge.

Interview Questions

• Figure out how to maximize profits from a single stock in one week given you can only buy once and sell once.   Answer Question