Bloomberg L.P. Software Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Software Engineering

Bloomberg L.P. Software Engineering Interview Questions

Interviews at Bloomberg L.P.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2014.

Interview

I got a phone interview. It was about 45 minutes, but this one ended earlier. Overall it was all technical questions, you do not need to prepare much for behavioral questions. Just prepare a really good introduction and prepare some really good questions to ask them to show your passion.

They can ask you 4-5 questions in a 45 interview, from simple to hard questions. The first one can be an overall idea, like, how would like to create a ** machine? How would create a test case for **?

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

On campus Career fair - submitted resume. got a call the next day for on campus interview. There were 4 technical rounds. all on campus. after 5 days got a call with an offer.

Interview Questions

• mostly all questions were based on data structures and algorithms. expect atleast on brain teaser if you clear the first round of the interviews.
      Questions to me were- sorting an arraylist containing 1's and 0's. how to implement LRU cache. How would you implement an auto-complete feature. encoding a word file to save space- any ideas?   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

Interview

I applied online and they contacted me after 3-4 weeks asking me to give various available time slots for the phone interview. They scheduled a 45 minutes phone interview.
    Choosing a programming language of your choice:
    How do you implement a Polynomial?
    After I told them Array list, he showed me a very big polynomial and asked me what will you do if you have very big polynomial that needs to be handled? (Using an array list 'll consume hell a lot of memory for polynomials of higher degree)
    I answered him that i 'll use a hashmap to store the degrees and coefficients. He seemed to be impressed with that.

How will you implement the following four functions using the hashmap/arraylist:
    1. Constructor which details how your polynomial is stored
    2. Adding two polynomials.
    3. Printing polynomial.
    4. Finding the derivative of the polynomial.

He also asked me about my prior work experience and also about my current Master's thesis project which I thought I answered well. But I was able to implement only the first two functions(using arraylist) with in the time limit. Got a rejection email with in 3 days.

Interview Questions

• Implement the above four polynomial functions using hashmap.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Got a first round interview through school career fair. First round interview was technical from the start, asked for a brief introduction about myself and then went straight to coding. Given a piece of paper and asked to code live. Mostly data structures questions and anything you said to have known on your resume. So hopped from topic to topic based on what you had down as knowing. Second round also very technical was almost 3 hours in nature and very intensive.

Interview Questions

• Define an algorithm that given a string of words will be able to sort and find most common occurrences of subsequent characters.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in May 2014.

Interview

one phone interview then receive the onsite invitation. The phone interview lasts about 45 mins. Questions are focusing some general concept about C++ programming. e.g., constructor, copy constructor, operator overloading, deconstructor, memory allocation and deallocation, sizeof etc. Then, it moves to multithread programming, e.g. synchronization, critical section, semaphore etc.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

phone interview.
    1. difference between const char * and char * const
    2. rotate string by k elements to the right in place.
    3. give a situation that can cause deadlock, how to solve this

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in April 2014.

Interview

Applied online and then got email from HR to schedule Telephonic interview

Interview Questions

• Generic template implementation for Stack program in C++ with more and more restrictions added on the fly. lot of questions to dynamic memory allocation and design of algorithms..

Interviewer tried to use some fee online cheap website to share for collaborative coding assessment..

They say they expect basic proficiency with programming and they provide good training but ideally they want programming gurus...   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview process for Bloomberg is a long and detailed one. For me, there was an online aptitude test - the top 5% or so would then proceed to the phone interview stage.

There where three phone interviews, each becoming increasingly more complex. The typical C++ questions relating to polymorphism, inheritance, access types, etc. If you make it through these, then you will be invited to New York.

Here is where my impression of the process was soured. I'm a senior software engineer that was being interviewed with a view to working on some of the parallel processing development - something that I have a lot of experience with. I was however interviewed by two junior engineers that were asking college type questions way, way lower in complexity than anything in the phone interviews or aptitude test.

Interview Questions

• During the phone interviews questions were asked about the different access types and how they worked with inheritance - particularly 'protected' inheritance.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in May 2014.

Interview

Tell me about yourself. projects in your resume. which language are you most familiar with. Basic C++ concept questions. One algorithm question, interviewer kept asking in deep, guid you to the answer. After that, the interviewer asked me if I have any questions. It took about an hour for the interview.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

were a panel of two people and asked basic c and some logical quesitions as i was a non computer science major. was not very difficult.