Bloomberg L.P. Software Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Software Engineering

Bloomberg L.P. Software Engineering Interview Questions

Interviews at Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in June 2014.

Interview

Applied on the Website, then got a phone interview after two weeks. Asked two easy coding questions.
After three weeks invited to NY to take the onsite interview.
Two rounds technique interview, both talked about something on your resume and two coding questions (not hard)
Third round talks with a manager, design software about stocks. After this round, I was asked to leave :(
Onsite is not hard, prepare the basic algorithms and data structures well.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really difficult. But I'm not sure about the third round's question (because this is the round I was asked to leave)
    design a system about stocks: lots of stock info go into system, customers are waiting the other side for the stock system, how to design the system.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2014.

Interview

I applied on line and was contacted very soon by email. Then I was set up a phone screen interview. They waited for me about a month, which was so nice. Then during the phone interview, the people I was talking to was so nice, he guided me through to solve the coding problem step by step. I really appreciate this opportunity, because it helped me a lot for my future interviews.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

The initial phone interview was conducted by someone from HR, covered school/project experience, a basic CS question (difference between C and Java), language skills and standard personal questions (what I do outside of school, why I chose CS). I received an email about a week later, informing me I was selected for the in-person second round interview in NYC.

When asked, I stated that my preference was to fly out the day before my interview, then fly home the the next night, after my interview was complete. However, when I got my itinerary, I was booked to fly out at 5am, the day of my interview, which put my arrival about an hour before it was to start. This seemed to be the experience of all of the other interviewees, so I would expect this is standard practice.

I made it just in time, and was given a tour of their gorgeous office building, told of all the perks employees enjoy, the usual deal. When I got to the interview itself, there were two engineers who asked me in more detail about my coding experience, favorite projects and the like. When I stated my lack of experience with C (something I had made clear in my first interview), they seemed surprised I had made it to the second round, because nearly their entire code base is in C.

They moved on to the coding question: How can you efficiently detect whether two singly-linked lists converge, and if they do, how do you identify at which node? They were okay with using pseudocode syntax, but they wanted a great deal of explanation of my thought process along the way.

My biggest mistake was just not practicing coding in front of someone to practice beforehand - I was nervous, made a few mistakes, and missed the obvious efficient solution until they gave me a big hint.

Interview Questions

• How can you efficiently detect whether two linked lists converged? If they do, how do you identify at which node this occurs?   5 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in July 2011.

Interview

1 round phone interview followed by onsite with 7 people. The whole process was quite efficient. I was contacted the same day by the recruiter after phone interview to arrange onsite.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Telephone interview first

Interview Questions

• Technical questions comes at the first round of Telephone Interview. One is more about algorithms, the other is programming.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in September 2013.

Interview

Applied on campus and was called for an interview in a week. Got a cursory first round wherein I was asked to implement string copy and had various corner cases to consider. The second round was to print a 2D matrix in spiral. Ended up not answering completely due to time shortage.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in October 2013.

Interview

scheduled interview at career fair.
    the one hour 1-to-1 interview followed the usual pattern: first resume related questions, followed by a technical question, followed by "do you have any questions for me".

the interviewer was a little self-absorbed and kept changing topic to himself/his work/his education and wasn't much interested in listening about me.
    he didn't phrase the problem clearly in the technical question part of the interview. so half way through working on the solution, i knew this interview was a waste of time.

Interview Questions

• using a log generated by a multiprocessor machine, which contains start and end time of each process, find the longest slot of time in which the machine wasn't idle.
      the log is sorted by the process's start time.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

There were two interviewers, asked basic string manipulation questions. They weren't friendly enough and tried to create a lot of pressure during loud thinking.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Philadelphia, PA) in February 2014.

Interview

Got a on-campus interview by submitting resume on school's site

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

They were pretty fast. I applied some time in late January- early February and the responded within the next week. Got to the phone interview, which took about an hour. some of the questions were to design some simple algorithms, ie given a sequence of numbers, print the non-duplicated elements. they also kept asking about the time and space efficiency of the implementation and tried to have you come up with better ones.

Interview Questions

• Given a sequence of numbers, is it possible to recover the original tree structure of the array before it became an array using inprder traversal? what about preorder traversal?   2 Answers