Bloomberg L.P. Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 19, 2017

868 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Global Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in August 2017.

Interview

Application process was very quick. Was given a link to a video interview the following day, about 7 Qs and was given 90secs to answer each.

Received an email to say I advanced to the next stage, which was a 10-15mins telephone interview. Pretty much the same Qs as the application form and video interview, except you're actually talking to someone and they might give you a follow up Q about your answer. Recruiter was very friendly.

Then I was invited to an assessment day, was broken into smaller groups and took part in different tasks (data/excel, basic python, 2 group activities.) Everyone found out in the afternoon if they would be invited back for the final interview (on the same day) as well as feedback the same day if you were not successful. Seems they were looking for people who performed well in all of the tasks (and not just stood out in some) as very few people were invited to the final interview.

For the first 2 rounds I advise to prepare the Qs as seen on glassdoor. I don't really know what they were looking for as some Qs I didn't really know how to answer (e.g. A time you did this, but because of my experience/background I never encountered that) but managed to produce an answer and talk about it for a while, yet they still kept putting me through to the next round. Even if you have no experience and/or are not from a financial background, just make sure you keep mentioning your skills that are suited to the job description and the aspects of Bloomberg that appeal to you. For the assessment day they are looking for someone who has leadership skills but also a teamplayer who listens to others, also someone logical with some economic/ markets knowledge.

Summer Insight Week 2017 Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied through Bloomberg careers site. To submit my application I needed the CV and answering some written questions in a form online. After a couple of weeks I received an email invinting me to take a video interview.
    The video interview works like this: when you open the link and start, the question to answer shows up on the screen and you have ten/thirty seconds (I don't recall) to prepare it, when the time is up you have around 30 seconds to answer it. There were about 7 questions, 30 minutes in total (ascending in difficulty, I would say, but none really really difficult). The communications until this point were held by Yello, which is the company Bloomberg uses for the video interview.
    If you pass the video interview, an HR employee from Bloomberg contacts you and asks about time availability for the following two weeks, in order to held a 30-45 minutes interview with the managers of the departments you are applying to (in my case, Sales&Analytics and Global Data).
    A week later I was given a time slot and we held the interview (average difficulty) via a Skype-like website - really nice and professional interviewers.
    Two weeks later, the HR employee contacted me to tell me Bloomberg was not going to pursue my candidacy and offered feedback. I asked for it, but was never given.

Some questions: Why Bloomberg? What is excellent customer service? Tell me about a time when you provided excellent customer service? [They describe a situation]... what would you do to ensure excellent customer service in this situation? Do you follow the news? Tell me about some important news you are following?...

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

1.5 h phone interview and Hacker rank pair coding. Interviewer wasn't very pleasant, quite aggressive and dismissive. I am asking myself what must be atmosphere at Bloomberg if this is their interview process. One of the most unpleasant interviews I have done.

Interview Questions

• What is STL   Answer Question
    • How vector and map containers are implemented, what is access time requirement.   Answer Question
    • What are different types of memory. Interviewer drilled down more and more on each answer.   Answer Question
    • Write a c++ program that checks if two strings are anagrams of each other.   Answer Question

Contract Coordinator Interview

Application

Interview

I applied in mid-June and was contacted a couple of days later by HR for a phone screening, which was very pleasant and to understand a bit about my background, my expectations (including salary) and whether I had any questions about the role.

I was told on the spot I'd go on to the next round, which was an in-person interview with the team in London.

Once in the office, I had a 30min shadowing session with one of the Contract Coordinators, which explained how the day was usually broken down into, the main tasks, and was open to questions.

I then moved on to the interview itself with whom would have been my manager, and another Contract Coordinator.

I heard back a week after.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

Video interview with 7 questions;

Invited to the Bloomberg office to meet the team leader from fundamentals and estimates (yes, that's right. They don't even have an ESG team leader). I have a feeling that the interviewers have very limited knowledge about ESG data, especially when I mentioned the TCFD which was initiated by their boss Mike Bloomberg, they seemed absolutely clueless. Also, they stressed that the position itself is very repetitive and requires a lot of manual data uploading tasks, which is nowhere near "analytical" as the title has suggested.

Also, the Bloomberg ESG data team (not Bloomberg Intelligence!) just sucks generally speaking. For instance, if you ask the helpdesk about "the carbon intensity of a fund", something less obvious than "water usage of Starbucks", you would be lucky to get an answer in less than half an hour. ESG is definitely not embedded in decision making or the corporate culture.

Analytics and Sales Interview

Application

Interview

It was a video interview which consisted of 9 questions. The first part was company\position related questions (Why you think you are a good match for this position ?, etc.). The last questions were field related, regarding bonds and oil prices

Interview Questions

• Please describe the connectivity of currency fluctuation and interest rates ?   Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Application

Interview

After applying online, I was invited to the video recording interviews. Each question provides 30 seconds to prepare and then 1 minute and 30 minutes to answer. Mine was total 9 questions... Some people said 5, but mine was 9!! After that the language assessment, which I am waiting to do now.

Interview Questions

• Practice question: please briefly introduce your self   Answer Question
    • What will be like your day-to-day at work?   Answer Question
    • If you are going to have a meeting with a potential client, what will you do? what will be the step?   Answer Question
    • and couple more financial questions... :(   Answer Question

Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)).

Interview

I am still in the process of recruitment. I passed my video interview and the video interview actually consisted of about 10 questions rather than 4,5 as mentioned by some on here. There were some very technical questions relating to current affairs as well.

Analytics and Sales for Japanese/Korean Speakers Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Third-round interview( 1 hour) with one manager from Analytics team and one from Sales team. You really need to be able to answer " Why Bloomberg".

I'll have my final interview in a few weeks.

Interview Questions

• Why Bloomberg, Why not other companies, Sell me something   1 Answer

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Video interview - Language test - Team leader interview

For the language test, I had a brief phone call with one of the team members who then asked me to submit a summary of the recent financial news in my mother tongue.

Aside from the common interview questions listed here, which helped a lot by the way, I was asked :
    - Explain BBG’s Enterprise Solutions in detail.
    - How would you prioritize support requests from a Research Analyst, a Risk Manager, and a FX Trader ?
    - What impacts are you going to bring to the company ?
    - Explain the square of 12 to a kid.

Overall the interviews were pleasant, but the whole process took too long - nearly 2 months.