Bloomberg L.P. Web Architect Interview Questions | Glassdoor

4.0

1 Candidate Interview ReviewBack to all Interviews

Web Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in May 2012.

Interview

First Took Phone Interview ~ 30min - Questions:
- Tell me about yourself
- Describe pros and cons REST vs SOAP
- Describe pros and cons of interpreted vs compiled languages
- Several questions how to handle conflict management in teams

4 weeks later I got invited for a full-day interview:
15min with the CTO
1 hours conversations about network technologies and security. Topics:
- Design a load balancer for machines of different performance/cores
- NoSQL vs relational databases
- Website attacks (XSS, SQL injection etc., DOS attacks)
- WebServer Technologies
- Google SPDY protocol (neer heard of before)

1 hour with different interviewer - less technical,
mostly details about about my resume/ positions in the past
Only technical question: Define a class hierarchy for the following geometric shapes: circle, ellipse, square, rectangle

Lunch with new person, questions targeted mostly to see how well I fit into their culture

1 hour group interview:
- Again Security questions about web technologies
- Following wide question: Tell me everything what happened from the point you enter a url in the browser until the page is fully rendered.
Wanted to see where I take it and on which elements I spent my time on. Some people start my describing the hardware OS key-press handlers; I went straight to the URL parts (forgot the username/password used mostly for ftp protocols) , covered DNS and spend a log of time on the rendering part.
Obviously one can talk for hours about this question.

Next interview was with my original phone-interviewer. - Topics: Security (again), Google SPDY (again).
Spent most time on : "Design a web architecture for delivering syndicated content to desktops, mobile devices; pubic and authenticated users."

I had to more interviews scheduled but they were cancelled as "people got pulled into meetings" - Might have been that I failed at this point already. - I certainly did not answer the last design question as well as I think I should have.

A week later I got told by my recruiter that I "was not a good fit"

Interview Questions

• Describe the difference as well as pros and cons between REST and SOAP   Answer Question
  • Describe the difference as well as pros and cons of compiled vs interpreted languages   Answer Question
  • Design a load-balancer for machines of various performance/cores   Answer Question
  • Describe common web security attacks and how to protect against them   1 Answer
  • Design a web infrastructure so sit between an XML marketdata service and outside entities: Desktop, mobile or syndicated content for public and authenticated/metered use.   Answer Question