Bloomingdale's Sales Manager Trainee (SMT Program) Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bloomingdale's Sales Manager Trainee (SMT Program) Interview Questions

1 Interview Review

1 Candidate Interview ReviewBack to all Interviews

Sales Manager Trainee (SMT Program) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bloomingdale's (San Francisco, CA) in November 2012.

Interview

Went to a joint Macy's/Bloomingdale's recruiting event on campus. Approached their recruiters and was very enthusiastic. Soon afterward I was invited in for "pre-night" where I met several company executives and current employees and an on-campus interview. As part of my interview invitation I was asked to take Macy's standard timed and un-timed retail personality test. These interviews consisted of one face to face interview with a Bloomingdale's recruiter and one face to face interview with a Macy's recruiter. Questions consisted of basic STAR questions interspersed with facts about the realities of the position including the long hours and holidays required. After these interviews I sat down with a third Macy's recruiter and did a case study consisting of four employees. I was given information about the four of them and asked which of them I wanted to mentor, why and what my mentor-ship strategy would be. The recruiter at this stage gave me lots of positive feedback about my strategy and made it obvious he liked my ideas. I then handed my preference card to this recruiter (on which I indicated I wanted to be considered first for the Bloomingdale's SMT program) and this concluded the interview.

A few days after this interview I was sent an email congratulating me and inviting me to an all-day final round of interviews at the Bloomingdale's flaghsip store in San Francisco. After some difficulty getting into the mall before it opened (hint: use the loading dock). I was given a store tour, lunch and then was interviewed all afternoon by the Store Manager, HR Manager and several current SMTs. These interviews did not follow any set format, but involved more of a conversation with some basic STAR questions thrown in. All in all I thought the interview went well.

Despite this, I revived a letter from one of the HR managers, hand signed, a few days later thanking me for my application but declining to offer me a position. The interview process was painless and the interviewers were professional and courteous at all stages.

Interview Questions