Blue Coat Systems Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Blue Coat Systems Interview Questions

2.8

Inside Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Blue Coat Systems (Plano, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

Took about a month for them to reach out to me after initially submitting my resume online. First interview was with the recruiter who was extremely nice and helpful. Second was a phone call with one of the inside sales managers. Third round they had me into the Plano office where I met with the manager from the second interview face to face and then with a technical member of the sales team. No crazy questions or behavioral questions, just straight forward asking about experience and explaining the role. Did not get an offer due to lack of security experience in comparison with other candidate (which was fair as I am trying to enter the field from general IT).

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have with networking devices, at home or professionally?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Draper, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Blue Coat Systems (Draper, UT).

Interview

I reached there around 45 minutes early. People were good. Found cheerful and happy environment. The interview was taken by senior app manager and one of the people working under her. It was more like a conversation on what they do, what they expect me to do and what is my past experience

Interview Questions

• php, documentation of code, past project and work experience.   Answer Question

Technical Publications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Blue Coat Systems (Sunnyvale, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Involved an informal phone screen with a Sr. Technical Writer, a panel interview with the manager and two other writers, and a one-on-one interview with the Principal Technical Writer. The phone screen was a combination of resume cross-checking and the caller explaining what the company does. The panel interview was more of a personality assessment quiz. The final, one-on-one interview was technical: consisting of a writing assessment and an introduction to the tools that technical writers at the company use.

Interview Questions

• The usual questions about decision-making, critical thinking, etc. However, the final round involved questions about Technical Writing.   Answer Question

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Blue Coat Systems.

Interview

Applied online. Received an email about 2 weeks later for a phone interview. It was very technical, the lady I spoke to was the director of software development. She asked about my skill level and some programming questions. I then was scheduled an in person interview. I was interviewed by 3 people in total- the director, the senior manager, another software manager. Was there from 3:30 until 5. Was told I would have an answer by the end of the week (It was Wednesday) and on Friday morning I saw the position reposted on Indeed.com.

Course Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Blue Coat Systems.

Interview

Recruiter was being inconsistent with questions in regards to benefits, salary, and whether or not the position was contract or FTE. Did not interview with the company, but the recruiter was very pushy. Received another contact from another recruiter for the same position position today. Nice to be wanted, but I will not deal with companies that cannot be straightforward on what they have to offer you.

Interview Questions

• There was none, since they could not be straightforward on benefits/salary/FTE vs contract.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Blue Coat Systems in July 2013.

Interview

Boxborough, MA location, applied last year. Applied as a referral. Hiring manager called and did a phone screen. One on-site interview. Fairly easy interview, one networking technical question. The main thing is that the interviewers wanted to make sure I understood the position and the challenges. After the single round of interviews (~5 people), ended up playing telephone/email tag for ~2 weeks until I found out that they were unable to match the compensation I requested.

Interview Questions

• Describe in detail (all layers) how a TCP connection is made.   Answer Question

Anonymous Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Blue Coat Systems (Sunnyvale, CA).

Interview

The work environment did not seem adequate. Some lights were on and a lot were off. Cubicles in disarray and unoccupied - tons of them. Not impressed...sinking ship feeling.

Interview Questions

• none really. everyone was OK in interview process. My concern was stability of company, which the mgr stated could be acquisition in 2013.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Blue Coat Systems (Sunnyvale, CA) in February 2011.

Interview

I had a totally horrible experience with Blue Coat. Recruiter called me and said they were interested in my background. After the mandatory phone screen with the hiring manager, I was called on site for face to face interviews. The scheduling was really slow and it took them two weeks to set it up. And on the day of the interview, there was a final substitution because one of the people was unavailable at the last minute.

They had me sign an NDA and I was walked in by the hiring manager. The work environment seemed dull. I noticed a lot of cubicles with people frantically typing away at their screens. The team I was interviewing for had experienced a lot of turnover and they were interviewing replacement hires - I wondered why there was so much turnover. First up was the hiring boss. I was asked all the regular product management questions - how do you vet requirements, how do you work with engineering, where do you see this market evolving, etc

The second guy was extremely rude. He didn't even want to shake hands, say hello and introduce himself. Apparently he had been hired recently and I guessed it had been a rough start for him in the company. He seemed totally disinterested in any of my answers. I felt like this guy had planned to ding me even before the interview.

Next up was another PM. I worked for a bigger company so this guy was totally surprised I was interviewing with them. He kept asking me why you, why leave, why now, why blue coat. Didn't seem convinced. He had been with the company for a year and I guessed this guy has seen a lot of turnover and it had been pretty rough for him with him handling a bulk of the workload.

At that point, I was thinking this was the wrong place to be in especially if these were the kind of people I would be working with on a daily basis. I didn't want to be in such a hostile place.

A month has passed and no word from them. Called and left messages - recruiter is ignoring me. This is totally different from how she behaved before setting up the interviews when she would call and hound me everyday. At least for courtesy's sake drop me a note and tell me you have moved on with other candidates.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Blue Coat Systems (Sunnyvale, CA) in May 2010.

Interview

Was very impressed that all 6-7 interviewers were on time, prepared, appeared competent, and were very engaging - all except for the hiring VP who was aloof, distant, and very indecisive.

A clique of executives joined the company from BEA, and it appeared it might be difficult to become part of that inner circle. The CEO co-founder was described as a brilliant person trying to learn to be CEO of a large company, but it sounded like he was an incurable startup CEO incapable of scaling a company (taking great pride in having a cubicle instead of an office was one of several clues).

Although I was recommended by a Blue Coat executive VP and thought I interviewed extremely well, the hiring VP did not see my background being as good of a fit as I thought it was for the first director position. He suggested I would be a candidate for another director position that was opening up, but I received an offer from another company before he could make a decision.

Inside Channel Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Blue Coat Systems (Austin, TX) in April 2010.

Interview

I was contacted by an internal Blue Coat recruiter in online search- initial phone screen and presented my information. I was invited for a one on one interview with Sales Manager in Austin, TX.

Channel Sales Manager and I met in conference room- discussed employment history in depth, focusing on channel experience. Proceeded to ask about my reaction to sales scenarios- i.e. 'if a partner heard about an opportunity, but did not know the details of the lead- how would I go about getting additional information about the lead.' Through my answer process, he would present road blocks and force me to change my answer to get what he was looking for- including who I would contact and what questions I would pose to them.

Other Questions:
    Describe Sales Methodology
    Why should I be considered over other candidates?

Interview Questions

• Describe your Sales Methodology?   Answer Question
    • Describe in detail what sets you apart from other candidates and why we should hire you?   Answer Question