Blue Coat Systems Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 12, 2017

2.7

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Blue Coat Systems (Sunnyvale, CA) in April 2011.

Interview

The hiring and interview process was lengthy and thorough involving all teams: engineering, development, program and product managers, executive managemtn

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was happy with the offer and there was no negotiation

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Blue Coat Systems (Sunnyvale, CA) in February 2011.

Interview

I had a totally horrible experience with Blue Coat. Recruiter called me and said they were interested in my background. After the mandatory phone screen with the hiring manager, I was called on site for face to face interviews. The scheduling was really slow and it took them two weeks to set it up. And on the day of the interview, there was a final substitution because one of the people was unavailable at the last minute.

They had me sign an NDA and I was walked in by the hiring manager. The work environment seemed dull. I noticed a lot of cubicles with people frantically typing away at their screens. The team I was interviewing for had experienced a lot of turnover and they were interviewing replacement hires - I wondered why there was so much turnover. First up was the hiring boss. I was asked all the regular product management questions - how do you vet requirements, how do you work with engineering, where do you see this market evolving, etc

The second guy was extremely rude. He didn't even want to shake hands, say hello and introduce himself. Apparently he had been hired recently and I guessed it had been a rough start for him in the company. He seemed totally disinterested in any of my answers. I felt like this guy had planned to ding me even before the interview.

Next up was another PM. I worked for a bigger company so this guy was totally surprised I was interviewing with them. He kept asking me why you, why leave, why now, why blue coat. Didn't seem convinced. He had been with the company for a year and I guessed this guy has seen a lot of turnover and it had been pretty rough for him with him handling a bulk of the workload.

At that point, I was thinking this was the wrong place to be in especially if these were the kind of people I would be working with on a daily basis. I didn't want to be in such a hostile place.

A month has passed and no word from them. Called and left messages - recruiter is ignoring me. This is totally different from how she behaved before setting up the interviews when she would call and hound me everyday. At least for courtesy's sake drop me a note and tell me you have moved on with other candidates.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Blue Coat Systems (Sunnyvale, CA) in July 2010.

Interview

Phone Interview then onsite visit two times

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Blue Coat Systems (Sunnyvale, CA) in May 2010.

Interview

Was very impressed that all 6-7 interviewers were on time, prepared, appeared competent, and were very engaging - all except for the hiring VP who was aloof, distant, and very indecisive.

A clique of executives joined the company from BEA, and it appeared it might be difficult to become part of that inner circle. The CEO co-founder was described as a brilliant person trying to learn to be CEO of a large company, but it sounded like he was an incurable startup CEO incapable of scaling a company (taking great pride in having a cubicle instead of an office was one of several clues).

Although I was recommended by a Blue Coat executive VP and thought I interviewed extremely well, the hiring VP did not see my background being as good of a fit as I thought it was for the first director position. He suggested I would be a candidate for another director position that was opening up, but I received an offer from another company before he could make a decision.

Inside Channel Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Blue Coat Systems (Austin, TX) in April 2010.

Interview

I was contacted by an internal Blue Coat recruiter in online search- initial phone screen and presented my information. I was invited for a one on one interview with Sales Manager in Austin, TX.

Channel Sales Manager and I met in conference room- discussed employment history in depth, focusing on channel experience. Proceeded to ask about my reaction to sales scenarios- i.e. 'if a partner heard about an opportunity, but did not know the details of the lead- how would I go about getting additional information about the lead.' Through my answer process, he would present road blocks and force me to change my answer to get what he was looking for- including who I would contact and what questions I would pose to them.

Other Questions:
    Describe Sales Methodology
    Why should I be considered over other candidates?

Interview Questions

• Describe your Sales Methodology?   Answer Question
    • Describe in detail what sets you apart from other candidates and why we should hire you?   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Blue Coat Systems (Sunnyvale, CA) in October 2009.

Interview

Interviewer was Director level and pretty much lifeless, like he didn't want to be there (and this was a Sales Director). Style was like a newby reading from "interviewing for Dummies". First question was "do you know what we do" followed by..."what are your strengths"? "What are your weaknesses"? "Tell me something about yourself" etc. Once you answered a question he'd repeatedly ask "what else?" over and over. It's all the generic interviewing 101 questions. Spend some time on their site so you can answer the "what do we do" question and have 3-4 answers for each question cause he'll keepasking "what else"? Also, Their competitors are listed as Cisco, McAfee and Websense but they view Cisco as their biggest threat as Cisco came up a often.

Purchaning Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Blue Coat Systems (Sunnyvale, CA) in October 2009.

Interview

The interview process was pretty fast. Interviewed with several people. BC was very accommodating when scheduling the interviews. Offer letter was as expected and came quickly after final round of interviews.

Interview Questions

• what did i know about travel?   1 Answer

Manager If Customer Satisfaction Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Blue Coat Systems (Sunnyvale, CA) in March 2009.

Interview

I had a phone screen, then went in for an interview with the hiring manager. He indicated that all had gone well and that I was to come back to interview again. I interviewed again with him, and then with five others (peers). Again, I was told that the interview went extremely well. I waited, and waited, and waited, but despite lots of positive feedback, was never called back. Unfortunately, HR dropped the ball in my case, but I have heard that this is not the norm for them. I was told another candidate was selected, but now, five months later, they still haven't hired anyone. I suspect the position was put on hold. Overall, nice people.

Interview Questions

• Describe the customer process. Who owns the customer at each point?   Answer Question
    • What are the three most difficult customer situations you have dealt with.   Answer Question

Inside Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Blue Coat Systems (Cupertino, CA) in February 2009.

Interview

I handed my resume to someone that was a friend of the hiring manager. I got a call and went in for the interview the next day. I spend very little time with the hiring manager, and was interviewed by 6 team members.

Tech Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Blue Coat Systems (Sunnyvale, CA) in February 2008.

Interview

two interviews over the phone, then proceeded to interview on-site, all morning, with several other engineers in person or phone call.

Interview Questions

• very detailed Internet protocol level questions   1 Answer

Negotiation

they don't give too many stock options