Blue Coat Systems Product Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1 Interview Review

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all Interviews

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Blue Coat Systems (Sunnyvale, CA) in February 2011.

Interview

I had a totally horrible experience with Blue Coat. Recruiter called me and said they were interested in my background. After the mandatory phone screen with the hiring manager, I was called on site for face to face interviews. The scheduling was really slow and it took them two weeks to set it up. And on the day of the interview, there was a final substitution because one of the people was unavailable at the last minute.

They had me sign an NDA and I was walked in by the hiring manager. The work environment seemed dull. I noticed a lot of cubicles with people frantically typing away at their screens. The team I was interviewing for had experienced a lot of turnover and they were interviewing replacement hires - I wondered why there was so much turnover. First up was the hiring boss. I was asked all the regular product management questions - how do you vet requirements, how do you work with engineering, where do you see this market evolving, etc

The second guy was extremely rude. He didn't even want to shake hands, say hello and introduce himself. Apparently he had been hired recently and I guessed it had been a rough start for him in the company. He seemed totally disinterested in any of my answers. I felt like this guy had planned to ding me even before the interview.

Next up was another PM. I worked for a bigger company so this guy was totally surprised I was interviewing with them. He kept asking me why you, why leave, why now, why blue coat. Didn't seem convinced. He had been with the company for a year and I guessed this guy has seen a lot of turnover and it had been pretty rough for him with him handling a bulk of the workload.

At that point, I was thinking this was the wrong place to be in especially if these were the kind of people I would be working with on a daily basis. I didn't want to be in such a hostile place.

A month has passed and no word from them. Called and left messages - recruiter is ignoring me. This is totally different from how she behaved before setting up the interviews when she would call and hound me everyday. At least for courtesy's sake drop me a note and tell me you have moved on with other candidates.

Interview Questions