Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Interview Questions

Updated May 17, 2017

2.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan (Detroit, MI).

Interview

I was interviewed for a contract position through a recruiter. I had two phone interviews which were short albeit pleasant and focused mainly on behavioral assessment. It took a couple of weeks to get an in person interview which was scheduled on site with two managers. It quickly became apparent to me that they had already decided whether to extend an offer before I arrived which was disappointing to say the least. The questions were largely pedantic and bordered on offensive at times. At one point I was asked how and why one of my contracts had ended at a well known software company that I worked for 4+ years ago. They seemed less concerned with my skills and more concerned with finding reasons to dismiss them - the PM seemed to constantly be asserting that my technical background wouldn't serve me in a role that prepped and formed technical projects. The other manager explained that "we just tell a story and let the engineers figure it out". While I have no problem with this method, I didn't understand the theater since I assumed they wouldn't waste their time with me had they read my resume before they scheduled the interview. My questions were met with similar disinterest as they buzzed through a description of the role and instead launched into questioning me on the definition of agile software development directly contradicting what they had said about technicality requirements of the role. When I asked what type of person would thrive in this role (I was very curious at this point), they simply said someone who likes to work a lot. I'm summarizing but that was the gist. I'm not sure if non-contract interviews go like this or if there was bad blood with my recruiters, but I definitely expected more professionalism from one of the larger companies in Detroit.

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan (Detroit, MI) in August 2015.

Interview

Phone, 2 in-person 1-on-1, 1 team / panel interviews; very professional, well-managed and positive interview and follow-up process and overall experience; everyone involved in the process was helpful, insightful, transparent, and honest.

Administrative Assistant (Director Level) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan (Detroit, MI).

Interview

The talent acquisition rep saw my resume on a job search site and called me. She had me come in for skills testing and set up a day of serial interviews. I interviewed with the VP Admin Assistant, 2 managers + 1 director together, 2 additional directors separately - one in person and one by phone. A long day with a lot of duplication. The interviews didn't seem targeted, like they didn't have a clear focus or know what they really wanted to ask me. I think they were based on the same workshop or article, since they asked the same pet questions...kind of thin. They had trouble answering my questions: what do YOU most need from someone in this position; what's your idea of a dream and a nightmare candidate; what skills will be most useful to you; what additional areas of support could we potentially add to this position over time?

Interview Questions

• Most repeated question: "What's the most important to you in a manager?"   1 Answer

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan (Detroit, MI) in July 2015.

Interview

Face to face interview, drug screen and back ground screening..There was a group of people about three people. They all had questions based on behavior and testing. Some of the questions were about working with difficult people and how did you handle stress.

Interview Questions

• There were alot of questions on processing and how you would handle conflict. Time management and UAT testing. How would you handle stress and working with other team members.   Answer Question

Healthcare Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan (Detroit, MI) in June 2015.

Interview

very nice interview, more like a discussion rather than asking questions. without phone interview, I got an onsite interview, it last about 1 hour. Then they told me the result immediately, and arranged the next interview with managers in other departments.

Interview Questions

• how to do a presentation, which the audience does not have a strong knowledge in your field   Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan (Detroit, MI) in May 2015.

Interview

The first round was on phone. They screened me and then they called me for face to face in person interview. It was about what technologies I am aware of, How would I fit into their team, my hobbies.

Interview Questions

• What are your hobbies and what do you do in your free times was my last question in the interview.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan (Detroit, MI).

Interview

Very straightforward process. Applied online and ended up having telephone interviews for two different positions. Each screening interview went over my background (including asking very specific questions related to my resume), goals, and fit for the current role. No behavioral interview questions were asked. A lot of emphasis was placed on how I fit the role at hand and how I could use my past education/work experiences in the current role. I really felt like BCBSM was trying to make sure they were finding a really good fit for the position. They also put a lot of emphasis on making sure they had projects that related to my interests. Once they decide to hire you the process moves along very quickly-there will be a lot of pressure to give them an answer quickly.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was able to extend the amount of time that they gave me to respond on my offer. I would recommend calling the HR contact you have to do this, because they seemed to be a lot more responsive to the fact that I was navigating interviews for multiple positions.

Underwriting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan (Detroit, MI) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview process was very straightforward and the interviewers provided a comfortable environment; it was very easy to be relaxed throughout the process. The majority of the interview was behaviorally focused. Also, the interviewers did a good job in explaining what the position entailed. They were interested in my quantitative background and my comfort level in working with data analysis.

Interview Questions

• Would you choose to assemble a grill using instructions or buy one that is already assembled?   Answer Question

Enterprise Information Technology Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan (Detroit, MI) in April 2015.

Interview

Simply applied online in January and finally got a call back in late April for an on site interview. Got an email with detailed instructions on where to park, report, and who to ask for. Went over to a meeting room to interview with one developer and an IT Delivery manager. Lots of questions about everything on your resume - be ready for that. Every detail on there. They didn't ask me so many behavioral questions as they did general problem solving questions. He asked me random questions about my Calc 3 and Physics classes which seemed random and threw me off, but I'm sure that's just to see how I perform. Then some very general C++ questions (thats the language I said I was best at). Understand the SDLC and all that. Knowing SQL probably a plus. 7 days later I received an offer via phone. This is a really great, achievable option for in-staters to get their foot in the door. Ju

Interview Questions

• How can I write a program so that I can debug it while it runs?   Answer Question
    • How would you go about designing a game in C++?   Answer Question
    • What's your favorite part about learning new programming languages?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan (Grand Rapids, MI) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview was short and sweet. I had a phone interview and spoke with a pannel of about 3 people. I used a dial in number. Many questions were asked and I was lucky enough to answer the questions with full accuracy! It landed me a job at BCBS. Each interviewee took their own set of questions and asked slowly. When I asked to repeat the question, they did. When I asked to elaborate on the question, they did. Then I was told that I should hear something back within days and fortunately I did! This process did not take long at all.