Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 27, 2018

2.9

Associate Actuary Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association (Dallas, TX) in July 2013.

Interview

One online question list first, then the Hiring manager called though the phone with some basic question, like tell me about your internship and why you interested in being an actuary. Finally they invited me to go their office for face to face interview. It was six and half hours long with no offer. I don't know why and before the interview I did not get any sleep because the flight. My interview was in taxes and I lived in California, the worst thing was the flight ticket that they booked for me was canceled so I have to take red eye flight from 12:00am to 6:00am. Then I had 6.5 hours for the interview. I don't want to make any comments for this unfair interview.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association (Chicago, IL).

Interview

The process takes about a month. It begins with a phone interview from the HR department, followed by members of the department for which you are seeking employment. You may interview with three to five individuals.

Interview Questions

• Be prepared to state what you can contribute to department, division and company   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was asked my salary requirements and the negotiation begin, Happy with end result.

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.

Interview

On-campus interview, lasted 45 minutes; interviewer seemed very passionate about the health care industry. All questions were behavioral, mostly relating to past internship experience. It was very laid-back and conversational. Interviewer did most of the talking. Showing that you are interested in the health care industry seems to be important.

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association in February 2013.

Interview

I applied for the job through campus recruiting and attended an information session. I was selected for an on campus interview. After the interview, I was told I would hear by the end of the next week, but a month went by, and I hadn't heard anything. I sent an email to the interviewer and received a call the next day that I did not get the job. Throughout the process, I never received a response to any of my emailed questions.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Blue Cross Blue Shield instead of another health insurance company?   Answer Question

Application

Interview

An on campus recruiter lead the first interview round. He asked general behavioral and background questions. He did most of the talking, explaining seemingly insignificant things about the company. When I talked it didn't seem like he was trying to listen or build a conversation. Overall, this interview turned me off and I rescinded my application.

Interview Questions

• How do you go about researching? How would you present your findings to a group?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association (Chicago, IL) in March 2016.

Interview

There was an initial phone interview with a recruiter, after that I had another phone interview with one of the hiring managers and finally I was brought in for an in person interview. The last interview consisted of meeting with four individuals. The questions where standard, why are you interested in working for BCBSA; what made you want to apply; what would you say is one of your strength and so on.

Interview Questions

• One of the hiring managers provide a scenario and she wanted to know how I would go about finding the required information   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

It was quite intense. It was a school recruitment position, so there were 3 interviews total. There was a school interview, a case study + second round interview, then a third round interview. There were several weeks inbetween each stage because they went through really careful deliberations, but it makes sense.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in five years, and how do you see the Association helping you with that?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association (Chicago, IL) in April 2014.

Interview

First I should say that the interview was not at all for the role that I applied for... I applied for an analyst position that described your typical analyst, excel grunt role... I had my first round interview with a social media executive who said the whole department is simply looking for talented people and asked me if I knew anything about social media...

We then had a pretty general interview with typical behavioral questions.

I got invited back for a second and final round. There was a case study beforehand--- it was not your typical consulting case but more like an economic problem. I honestly largely forget the question so I won't try to recreate it. I then had 4 interviews with completely different departments, all of whom warned me about the bureaucracy they faced when I asked them what they liked least about their jobs. The interviews were all very standard chat with me, basic behavioral questions. My only other comment was that the interviews seemed very formal if that makes sense--- they definitely seem like a bit of an older, more formal company.

The one complaint I have is that the process with the recruiter was less than ideal, to say the least. First, she wasn't the best at responding to e-mails in a timely manner, which is kind of your job to communicate with interview canidates as a recruiter. The information she did provide when she finally would e-mail was vague and not all that helpful. I was strung along for weeks and weeks until I finally said look I have other offers that I'm taking... When I did do the case study, she first told me there was a 5 minute reading period, and then I could start writing. I waited for what I'm convinced was more than 5 minutes, and right as I was about to just start writing, she showed up to ask if I needed anything. I said can I write now and she said oh yeah. I used up all of my time and it would've been nice to be able to write for those couple extra minutes... Overall my poor expeirence with the recruiter has been repeated with several friends I know that interviewed with BCBSA.

Interview Questions

• What's the difference between Obamacare and the ACA?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association (Chicago, IL) in November 2015.

Interview

First part written case study--you get word and excel to solve a case. You don't have to present it or anything though (like a typical consulting interview). Second part behavioral questions from a few different senior leaders (one on one; about four hours total).

Interview Questions

• When was a time you had to completely change directions and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association (Chicago, IL) in November 2015.

Interview

I interviewed through on-campus recruiting and later received an email from a recruiter to schedule a superday. It involved a written case with answers typed up in Word (and an Excel sheet, probably just for calculations) followed by 4 interviews. I received an itinerary beforehand, but two of my interviewers were replaced with completely new people, which made some of the research I did beforehand worthless. My interviewers were all very nice except for one guy who didn't give me his name or even make eye contact. Recruiter told me I'd hear back by "early December." On the second week of December I asked my recruiter if she had any updates, and was told I'd hear back the next week. No response. I emailed again in the middle of January and finally learned I didn't get the position. If you have an applicant travel to your office to interview for 3+ hours, you can at least email them to let them know they didn't get the job; I think if I hadn't asked I would have never heard back.

Interview Questions

• Written case was to evaluate a product offering using some assumptions. Not too difficult.   Answer Question