Blue Shield Of California Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 14, 2017

50 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Lead Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Blue Shield Of California (Sacramento, CA).

Interview

3 Interviews - 2 on telephone and 1 Panel interview in person. Two HR's facilitating this interview process have resigned. There was no communication after the interview. After multiple follow-ups, I heard from them that the requirement was closed.

Interview Questions

• How do you prioritize if you receive tasks from Project Managers, Directors and the likes   1 Answer

Tech Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Dorado Hills, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Blue Shield Of California (El Dorado Hills, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted by an in-house recruiter. He asked what my salary requirements were then arranged a phone/WebEx interview with the department lead.

She asked the usual position-related questions and had me complete an editing test, which I aced. It was something a high school student could have easily done...

She stated that she would recommend me to her manager. A couple of weeks later I interviewed with him.

Immediately, red flags started popping up. He was 15 minutes late. He knew I had a disability that makes walking difficult (I divulged this to the lead) but that didn't stop him from conducting the interview in a building 200 yards from the visitors' reception.

It was extremely hot that day, so I was suffering when we got to the conference room where one other person was waiting. That person introduced himself then sat silently doodling in his notebook the entire interview.

The manager asked many inappropriate questions for an interview with a mid-career professional. Questions such as: Would you have trouble getting to work on time? We are eliminating the work from home benefit; would this be a problem for you? How would your high school English teacher describe you? Were you really self-employed?

A week after the interview I followed up with the recruiter who said no decision had been made.

Needless to say, based on this experience and other reviews on GlassDoor, I'm glad I never heard back. I'd avoid this place unless you truly have no other option.

Interview Questions

• Would you have trouble getting to work on time?   1 Answer
    • How would your high school English teacher describe you?   1 Answer

Help Desk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Dorado Hills, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Blue Shield Of California (El Dorado Hills, CA).

Interview

First you go through one of their recruiter and it's the basic questions to see if you qualify. If you do you meet with a manager and lead over the phone and they go through their questions that are a bit more detailed. After that I don't know what happens since no one gets back to you even by email. So I'm sure I didn't get the job, but it would be nice to get a notification of that from one of the 4 people you deal with through the process.

Interview Questions

• general IT help desk questions. how would you help someone if this was their issue.   Answer Question

May 8, 2017 – Strategic Recruiting Program Manager

Thanks for taking the time to write your review. We want to offer all candidates a great experience and are sorry that we didn’t provide you feedback on your interview. We’ve let the Director of... More

Systems Analyst Interview

Interview

It was a phone screening. Presumably with a technical recruiter. They explained that they were clarifying basic elements of my resume and application before it went to a hiring manager to schedule a in-person interview.

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Blue Shield Of California (San Francisco, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

HR reached out with a quick overview of the position, and I shared my experiences. Less than 30 minutes. Next, in person interviews with hiring manager, HR, peers, and matrix partners. Great people and interesting role. Unfortunately, it was a bit odd as I was told I was a finalist, yet no feedback on whether or not the position was ever filled.

Interview Questions

• How do you motivate a member of your staff to take initiative and contribute in meetings?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Blue Shield Of California (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

It was definitely one of the less professional interview process I've experienced. The day of the interview went fine, and the interviewers were polite and cordial. What happened afterwards was how it all went down.

A couple hours after I finished my interview on a Friday, the HR recruiter reached out to me by email asking to connect on Monday to "further discuss" was how he phrased it. To which later I found out what he meant was, nothing to discuss further on his end but only to bait on salary expectations from me. The manager and the HR recruiter had not discuss any decisions to which he told me he will reach out to the hiring manager and will get in touch with me the next day.

One week later, I did not hear back from him and the thank you cards for all the interviewers were mailed and have arrived by then. I sent him a friendly email for a follow up and to which he replied back letting me know that he was still unable to connect with the hiring manager but he told me he should have an update from her by the end of the week and will ensure to reach out to me with updates. And he added, "I can say that the initial feedback has been positive, so stay tuned :)"

Another week passed, still no word. I followed up again. By this time, it's been 2 weeks since my interview, which is not that long as I know these things take time. I only reached him back since he did mention to have feedback by the following week and no mentioned at all that they were still in the interviewing process. A couple days later, still no response from the HR recruiter. I then reached out to the hiring manager, who interviewed me on the phone & in person. A couple days later she replied back and told me that they have not reached a final decision as they are still interviewing others. She said to expect to hear back in two weeks.

First all of, please let us know if you're still interviewing others. Secondly, don't reach out to us to "further discuss" when there was nothing to discuss! And thirdly, don't say to get back to us at a certain time and left us hanging dry. The whole process was unprofessional and disrespectful. I can understand if they need time, all you need to do is let me know upfront that they are still interviewing others and won't have a final decision until a month later.

On top of all that, when I finally heard back from the hiring manager over a month later, there was no acknowledgement of the wait, not even so much of a thank you for being patient,much less an apology for misleading and being left dry again and again (not to mention, setting my hopes high but only to crush it).

It's not hard to ponder what this company is all about and what the culture is.

Interview Questions

Blue Shield Of California Response

May 8, 2017 – Strategic Recruiting Program Manager

Thanks for your review. Although we strive to provide a great experience for candidates, it looks like we didn’t offer that to you. Please know that we’ve forwarded your feedback to the Director of... More

Clinical Quality Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Blue Shield Of California (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied online, took 8 weeks to receive a 15-minute phone interview with HR. Next step was a one-hour phone interview with the hiring manager. At the end of the phone interview with the hiring manager, I was invited to an in-person interview to meet the team. Even though I was not offered the job, the hiring manager sent me a lovely notecard and forwarded my resume to other managers that were hiring. HR was awesome and gave me great feedback on my interview.

Interview Questions

• The questions were appropriate to the job that I was applying for. Each team member was awesome.   Answer Question

Senior Digital Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Blue Shield Of California in February 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a technical recruiter through Angellist. She reached out to me because she thought my background and experience were a fit for a role she was filling. She explained to me that she needed to clarify some parts of my resume and background before speaking to the hiring manager to schedule a in-person interview. The questions she asked were very basic. She told me that she'd speak with the hiring manager and get back to me within a week. She didn't so I gave up.

Interview Questions

Blue Shield Of California Response

May 8, 2017 – Strategic Recruiting Program Manager

Thanks for your review. It’s our goal to provide timely responses to candidates, so we apologize for not following through with you. We’ve sent your feedback to the Director of Talent Acquisition so... More

Sales-mid-senior Level Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Blue Shield Of California (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Established organization in transition. Many opportunities. Haven't applied for anymore since bad initial interview experience. Poor communication between internal recruiting and line hiring upper management meant I contacted references, briefed them, did multiple rounds of phone interviews; researched company thoroughly; did interview prep -- all for a position that wasn't even available after all! (offer not just been extended awhile before but accepted!).

Interview Questions

• Are you aligned with the company culture?   1 Answer

May 8, 2017 – Strategic Recruiting Program Manager

Thanks for the feedback on your interview. Our goal is to provide updates to candidates throughout the interview process, which is why we’re sorry that communication was lacking in your case. We’ve... More

Medical Informaticist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Blue Shield Of California (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Not sure if the recruiters are completely incompetent, busy, or both - but they should really have more respect for others, their time, and interest. Here is how my interview experience went down:

First, I received an email requesting days/time with my availability to schedule a 30 minute phone screen. I responded within 24 hours of receipt with my availability, as requested. I heard nothing for days. Finding this strange, I sent a follow-up email with additional availability. I finally received confirmation for a day/time, which was not a day or time I requested, but some other day/time. I accepted the invitation despite this . The recruiter called me 30 minutes before my scheduled phone screen time. This would have been all good; however, the recruiter proceeded addressing me by another person's name, and after corrected - asked if I was interviewing for some other position. Beyond these issues, the recruiter also took 3 to 4 calls during the phone screen, which resulted in the need for me to repeat myself 3 to 4 times. The recruiter ended the call with saying I could expect a call from a hiring manager within the next week. After I did not hear anything well after a week - I reached out to the recruiter via email - this is when I received a canned blah blah thank you for your interest blah blah we will proceed with not you essentially blah blah. I guess responding to the email I sent was just too much effort lol.

Obviously there are seriously problems with the way the interview process was handled. Seems like from some of these previous reviews this has been an unaddressed issue for awhile.