Blue Shield Of California Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

2.8

44 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Blue Shield Emerging Leaders Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Blue Shield Of California (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

The first round was with the recruiter, the second was in person. We weren't provided with much time to ask questions to interviewers - it was nearly 100% question after question after question. I would have loved to learn more about the work that each of the interviewers did, and hear about their experiences. But the questions were straightforward, and decisions were made quickly. Nice experience overall.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself, Why are you interested in this program?   Answer Question

Shield Emerging Leader Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Blue Shield Of California (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Phone screen, then an person interview. There is a group interview with other candidates. Someone at Blue Shield leads a case review. Then, there are three 30 min one-on-one interviews.

Interview Questions

• What do you do when you are given inaccurate information?   Answer Question

Shield Emerging Leader Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Blue Shield Of California (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

I was flown out from my home to San Francisco. They covered all of my transportation, flights and hotel as well as food on the day of the interview. We did a group panel discussion first and then 3 individual interviews with managers from different departments. The whole process was seamless and I was very impressed with the interview day.

Interview Questions

• What was a challenge you have had and how did you overcome that challenge?   Answer Question
    • What is the Blue Shield mission statement and how do you relate to that mission?   Answer Question

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Blue Shield Of California (San Francisco, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

HR reached out with a quick overview of the position, and I shared my experiences. Less than 30 minutes. Next, in person interviews with hiring manager, HR, peers, and matrix partners. Great people and interesting role. Unfortunately, it was a bit odd as I was told I was a finalist, yet no feedback on whether or not the position was ever filled.

Interview Questions

• How do you motivate a member of your staff to take initiative and contribute in meetings?   Answer Question

Senior Manager, Product Management/Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Blue Shield Of California (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The entire interview process took 6 months. I was contacted by an internal recruiter and had numerous phone meetings with colleagues within the Product department. There was a gap for a few months before meeting with the Director and his peers. Once the decision was made the employment offer only took a day.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Blue Shield Of California (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

It was definitely one of the less professional interview process I've experienced. The day of the interview went fine, and the interviewers were polite and cordial. What happened afterwards was how it all went down.

A couple hours after I finished my interview on a Friday, the HR recruiter reached out to me by email asking to connect on Monday to "further discuss" was how he phrased it. To which later I found out what he meant was, nothing to discuss further on his end but only to bait on salary expectations from me. The manager and the HR recruiter had not discuss any decisions to which he told me he will reach out to the hiring manager and will get in touch with me the next day.

One week later, I did not hear back from him and the thank you cards for all the interviewers were mailed and have arrived by then. I sent him a friendly email for a follow up and to which he replied back letting me know that he was still unable to connect with the hiring manager but he told me he should have an update from her by the end of the week and will ensure to reach out to me with updates. And he added, "I can say that the initial feedback has been positive, so stay tuned :)"

Another week passed, still no word. I followed up again. By this time, it's been 2 weeks since my interview, which is not that long as I know these things take time. I only reached him back since he did mention to have feedback by the following week and no mentioned at all that they were still in the interviewing process. A couple days later, still no response from the HR recruiter. I then reached out to the hiring manager, who interviewed me on the phone & in person. A couple days later she replied back and told me that they have not reached a final decision as they are still interviewing others. She said to expect to hear back in two weeks.

First all of, please let us know if you're still interviewing others. Secondly, don't reach out to us to "further discuss" when there was nothing to discuss! And thirdly, don't say to get back to us at a certain time and left us hanging dry. The whole process was unprofessional and disrespectful. I can understand if they need time, all you need to do is let me know upfront that they are still interviewing others and won't have a final decision until a month later.

On top of all that, when I finally heard back from the hiring manager over a month later, there was no acknowledgement of the wait, not even so much of a thank you for being patient,much less an apology for misleading and being left dry again and again (not to mention, setting my hopes high but only to crush it).

It's not hard to ponder what this company is all about and what the culture is.

Interview Questions

Blue Shield Of California Response

May 8, 2017 – Strategic Recruiting Program Manager

Thanks for your review. Although we strive to provide a great experience for candidates, it looks like we didn’t offer that to you. Please know that we’ve forwarded your feedback to the Director of... More

Clinical Quality Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Blue Shield Of California (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied online, took 8 weeks to receive a 15-minute phone interview with HR. Next step was a one-hour phone interview with the hiring manager. At the end of the phone interview with the hiring manager, I was invited to an in-person interview to meet the team. Even though I was not offered the job, the hiring manager sent me a lovely notecard and forwarded my resume to other managers that were hiring. HR was awesome and gave me great feedback on my interview.

Interview Questions

• The questions were appropriate to the job that I was applying for. Each team member was awesome.   Answer Question

Sales-mid-senior Level Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Blue Shield Of California (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Established organization in transition. Many opportunities. Haven't applied for anymore since bad initial interview experience. Poor communication between internal recruiting and line hiring upper management meant I contacted references, briefed them, did multiple rounds of phone interviews; researched company thoroughly; did interview prep -- all for a position that wasn't even available after all! (offer not just been extended awhile before but accepted!).

Interview Questions

• Are you aligned with the company culture?   1 Answer

May 8, 2017 – Strategic Recruiting Program Manager

Thanks for the feedback on your interview. Our goal is to provide updates to candidates throughout the interview process, which is why we’re sorry that communication was lacking in your case. We’ve... More

Medical Informaticist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Blue Shield Of California (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Not sure if the recruiters are completely incompetent, busy, or both - but they should really have more respect for others, their time, and interest. Here is how my interview experience went down:

First, I received an email requesting days/time with my availability to schedule a 30 minute phone screen. I responded within 24 hours of receipt with my availability, as requested. I heard nothing for days. Finding this strange, I sent a follow-up email with additional availability. I finally received confirmation for a day/time, which was not a day or time I requested, but some other day/time. I accepted the invitation despite this . The recruiter called me 30 minutes before my scheduled phone screen time. This would have been all good; however, the recruiter proceeded addressing me by another person's name, and after corrected - asked if I was interviewing for some other position. Beyond these issues, the recruiter also took 3 to 4 calls during the phone screen, which resulted in the need for me to repeat myself 3 to 4 times. The recruiter ended the call with saying I could expect a call from a hiring manager within the next week. After I did not hear anything well after a week - I reached out to the recruiter via email - this is when I received a canned blah blah thank you for your interest blah blah we will proceed with not you essentially blah blah. I guess responding to the email I sent was just too much effort lol.

Obviously there are seriously problems with the way the interview process was handled. Seems like from some of these previous reviews this has been an unaddressed issue for awhile.

Interal Communications Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Blue Shield Of California (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied after being referred by former colleague. Following a phone screen with the recruiter, I was brought in to interview with several members of the team. I was told to come in at one, but received a last minute the morning of that the times had changed, but the recruiter "forgot to let me know." Since it was their mix up, they kept the interview schedule as is, but there was a 30 minute hole where I was just sitting in their interview lounge.

The interview consisted of a mixture of panel and one-on-one interviews, and a writing test. The team seemed great, and I left feeling excited for the opportunity.

Following the initial interview, I received an email from the hiring manager letting me know the team liked.ke, and wanted to move forward with me as a candidate. I was asked to come in for a second interview with two members of the team and a senior manager. The senior manager was sick that day, so I only met with the two consultants.

Here's where it took a turn. I was asked if I was available later that week to have a phone interview with the senior manager. I said I was available on the time they provided, but never received an email confirmation. I followed up, and was told that they were still trying to finalize a time for the interview, but we're targeting the next day for an in person interview at 1 pm. I told them that I was available, but needed to know if it was confirmed as soon as possible so I could make arrangements to travel into San Francisco.

Later that week, I received an email, at 9:40 pm, that the position was being put on hold until a senior manager could be hired. I followed up to ask if that meant I was still a candidate, but received no response. I followed up a week later, and was told that I was not being considered as a candidate because my video and design skills weren't current enough. I feel the need to point out that, although I do have video and design skills, neither of those were listed as prerequisite for the role. Furthermore, the company has an in-house designer and videographer and I would not have been reporting to this individual or Working on their team.

I'm not upset (heck, I'm grateful that I didn't get the job, because I feel I dodged a bullet), but I do wish they'd been more organized, hadn't structure G me along for so long, and hadn't given me such a bogus reason for not selecting me. Additionally, I think it is extremely unprofessional to send a rejection notice after business hours, especially after 9 pm. I couldn't recommend Blue Shield as an employer, and will never post for a job at that company again.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.   1 Answer
    • Do you prefer strategy or execution?   1 Answer

Nov 18, 2016 – Strategic Recruiting Program Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry that your experience as a candidate was not at the level we hoped for. Please know that we will be forwarding your feedback to the interviewers so that we... More