Blue Square Concepts Marketing Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Blue Square Concepts Marketing Interview Questions

Interviews at Blue Square Concepts

2.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Blue Square Concepts (Philadelphia, PA) in April 2016.

Interview

----CAUTION!-----

If you think you're getting red flags from this company, listen to your gut. I didn't, and ended up wasting my afternoon on this scam of a company. Hopefully my experience helps to save you some time!

Pre-interview:
- Vague emails boasting Marketing jobs. I'll get back to the vagueness later.
- Sloppy/nonsensical emails: typos galore. I was sent multiple emails: first acknowledging my application (fine), then trying to set up a preliminary phone interview (to which my response via email and voicemail were ignored), next saying they could not reach me by phone (I confirmed that the phone number I provided them was correct, and I didn't have any missed calls/voicemails) and then saying "congrats, we'd like you to come in to our office for an interview".
- I tried calling several times on both lines provided to me via email. I ended up leaving two voicemails: the first attempting to confirm an interview slot, then second hoping to glean more information on what roles were available in order to educate myself prior to the interview. I was skeptical having read some other negative reviews here on Glassdoor and wanted to confirm A) these were salaried positions, B) they are not door-to-door salesmen jobs and C) there are non entry-level roles, as some job posts vaguely suggested. Anyways, all calls and voicemails went ignored.

Interview:
- Office was fine, although it seemed like something they rented purely for the purpose of interviewing (there was a lobby area for candidates, and only about three offices connected).
- Waited over 35 minutes alongside multiple other candidates. This was not apologized for, let alone acknowledged.
- Went in and was given this entire spiel. I was barely asked about my experience - basically the girl went on a long rant about the definition of marketing. Erm, not to be pretentious but if you had a look at my resume (6+ years of varied marketing experience), you wouldn't be giving me this remedial spiel about the definition of marketing.
- Was told there are ONLY entry level positions - this is how the company works (anyone else smell a pyramid scheme?). If only you had just answered my voicemail/emails - I wouldn't have wasted either of our time showing up.
- Was given extremely vague answers about pay - I literally had to pry in order to get any information. At first she said there were multiple pay structures, depending on what works best for the candidate: fully salaried, fully commissioned, a mix of both. I continued to ask questions as she tried to change the subject or give me vague answers. Finally after showing her two job postings I had printed out that stated salaries (~45-55k), I got her to admit that there AREN'T any fully salaried jobs (at least not for the entry level jobs - which every job was...). She said that those postings only give an approximation of what you'd be making on commission.
- Finally, what I feared the most: THIS IS A SALES JOB. I had to straight-up ask them this, because they skirted around this question with vague descriptions of what marketers do. They falsely lure people in under the premise that these are marketing jobs. They are not - they are CANVASSING/door-to-door sales positions. I was given two options: canvass neighborhoods going door-to-door for Verizon, or go to low-income neighborhoods and run a booth on-site for a welfare mobile carrier. They boast quick promotions to manager level, like 4-6 weeks, but I have a feeling that that means basically recruiting other people to do your sales work and scamming others.
- THE KICKER: I was asked to come in again the next morning (9am-1pm) and work onsite at a booth for their welfare mobile company...unpaid of course. The purpose was to 'vet me', but really they're just running more games on you. Firstly, they're getting free labor. But what really irked me is that throughout the interview, they skirted around several questions (salary/pay, role expectations etc), saying that "we'd discuss that more after [I worked a free day for them]". So they'll try to get a day of work out of you without explaining the pay (or lack there of) or what your day-to-day responsibilities would be. What a scam.

Complete lack of transparency, a scam of a company. I also have a strong inkling that many of the shining reviews on here are fabricated by Blue Square. I'm excited to see how Blue Square responds to this post, as they have to other negative reviews. Playing dumb and blameless. Quick questions for the person that responds: Do you feel good about what you do? Deceiving others for a paycheck? Or are you literally so brainwashed by this company?

Cheers!

Interview Questions

• Would you rather work on on the streets going door-to-door for Verizon or work in low income neighborhoods at a booth representing a welfare mobile company?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Blue Square Concepts

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Blue Square Concepts.

Interview

Applied online, heard back the next day wanting to schedule an interview that had to be in the next couple of days. First interview was short, still unclear on the job description and role. Interviewer was nice and personable. The front desk person was very nice and welcoming but there was very loud music playing.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Blue Square Concepts (Houston, TX) in November 2017.

Interview

It was pretty laid back at first but they get more challenging if you get to come back for the next round. Definitely focused on finding someone who fits with the company and has the same kind of values. I started with a sit down interview with a manager and got brought in again for a longer interview that was about an hour or more. That was more intense, but they still were really friendly and wanted to actually get to know me. I got offered a position after that and accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Blue Square Concepts (Philadelphia, PA) in July 2016.

Interview

2 interviews. 1st one in an office that was clearly just thrown together. 2nd one they had me go to the worst part of Philadelphia outside the welfare office in 95 degree weather.... To make it worse they had another person interviewing alongside to start some competition. It was absolutely ridiculous and I do not recommend them in the slightest. It's a pyramid scheme. Although the people working there were really nice.

Pyramid scheme.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Blue Square Concepts (Houston, TX) in April 2017.

Interview

I'm never the one to write reviews, but it was so terrible.. i feel it is necessary to warn other young individuals looking for good internship experience. I walked into the waiting room and immediately got the impression that this was not a professional place, the receptionist had 90's music blaring and some random show playing on a TV. Filled out a form and waited about 5 minutes until i was called back for an interview. Very easy questions about myself and experience and i could tell the interviewer did not care what i was saying. After 3-4 questions the interviewer described the job which was NOT what was advertised in the online job description. This was an intern scam where they taught you how to sell something, then how to teach others, then how to interview/hire people. Not the marketing internship advertised at all. Later that same day i received a call asking to come in for a second interview where i politely declined to move forward with the interview process. Thirty minutes later i received an e-mail saying i had missed the interview i was scheduled for.. SERIOUSLY? how unprofessional.. Do not waste your time.

Marketing Interview

Interview

They asked me to fill out a form when I signed in. Then after 10 minutes called me in for an interview with another candidate. Very short first round. The interview itself was also very short, they asked me a few questions, then asked the other candidate and said they would contact us later.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in five years?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Blue Square Concepts (Philadelphia, PA) in June 2017.

Interview

Cattle call, was actually a door to door for cell phones not at all what the job description said waste of time waste of time Cattle call, was actually a door to door for cell phones not at all what the job description said waste of time

Interview Questions

• Cattle call, was actually a door to door for cell phones not at all what the job description said waste of time   1 Answer