Bon-Ton Stores Sales Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 5, 2017

1.8

34 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Bethlehem, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bon-Ton Stores (Bethlehem, PA).

Interview

Very easy. I was a junior in high school. HR and a department manager interviewed me at the same time, but they were laid back and not intimidating. They did not seem to want to seriously demanding interview and just wanted to make sure I had decent character. Offered me the position by the end of the questioning period.

Interview Questions

• What would you favorite teacher say you need to improve on?   Answer Question
  • What do you know about the responsibilities of this position?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bon-Ton Stores

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bon-Ton Stores.

Interview

I applied online, and got a call shortly after. I came in for an interview and was basically offered the job right as I walked in the door. I filled out hiring papers that day and started work the next day.

Anonymous Employee in Camp Hill, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Bon-Ton Stores (Camp Hill, PA) in April 2015.

Interview

The woman was nice and the questions were fairly easy and simple. The woman did not specify if I had gotten the job or not but gave me the orientation time so I showed up anyways.

Interview Questions

• What are some personal qualities?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Sterling, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bon-Ton Stores (Sterling, IL).

Interview

I applied online and received a call from them within a week. The interview was pretty formal. They had several sheets of papers with questions they had to ask me. A lot of it was repetitive, basic questions. Overall it was relaxed though. They told me they had a few other people to interview for the position and that I would be notified by the end of the week if I got the job. I ended up getting an offer.

Interview Questions

• Situations where you specifically have had to help a customer, what did you do, what was the outcome. A lot of questions like that.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bon-Ton Stores.

Interview

Pretty straightforward interview with basic questions. The process only took a couple of weeks, and met the manager for only one interview before I was offered the job. They sell the job as being able to make a lot of money. However, you really only make decent money during certain times of the year and special sales events. Otherwise you really have to be familiar with sales tactics or just be plain lucky to make a decent paycheck.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a situation where you have an upset customer?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation straight 9%.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bon-Ton Stores.

Interview

I applied online and was called a week later. The interview was pretty standard for a sales associate job and the offer was made right after the interview. I was offered above minimum wage for the position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tonawanda, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bon-Ton Stores (Tonawanda, NY) in September 2014.

Interview

I applied online in early September of 2014 and received a call within one week to first verify my availability. They wanted to know if I could work at least one Sunday per month and I said yes so was then asked to come in for an interview. I did a few days later and the only questions asked were again about my availability and they asked about a gap in work on my resume. No interview questions like "name three of your best characteristics." Nothing of that sort.

They then proceeded to tell me how it's a thankless customer service job and the pay is minimum wage and asked if I would still be interested. I said yes and told them I am a stay-at-home mom and my availability is limited to Mon- Thurs evenings and one weekend shift so I was still interested because of that. I also thought the 20% discount was a perk and the store was very close to my home. I did ask the dress code and they said business and I also reiterated that I only could work up to 20 hours per week and they said they don't schedule employees over that anyways.

I did ask if I could discuss with my family first since my husband works and I was also interviewing somewhere else.They were totally fine with that and assured me to call them if I had any questions. I did end up calling to ask about the holiday hours because I was curious how late I may have to stay. They said the store would stay open later and also said it would turn into a more full time job which contradicted the initial info from the interview. I said I could pick up an extra shift or two and told them I'd call them back.

When I did call back, I told them I would like the position, but I couldn't work full time during the holidays. They were extremely short with me and said " I'll let you know if we still have position for you. "

It was completely unprofessional from the start. They contradicted their initial interview and failed to ask me at the interview if my availability would be more open during holidays. I wasn't applying for seasonal or temporary help so I think if they have policies about holiday hours, they should ask that immediately. Instead, I had to call them to ask. If I would have taken the position without asking, would they have been angry when holidays came and they tried to schedule me more days?

Clearly, the interview process was a mess and completely unprofessional. I never even received a call to say that they didn't need me. They should have followed up either way. I understand the position is only minimum wage , but employees will only take a company as serious as they take themselves.

Sales Associate Interview

Interview

Sorting employer and employee interests and background. Covering employer expectations and procedures along with a tour and introduction to employees not occupied with customers. Very welcoming process.
    My concerns and/or questions were covered as well as availability to the training and working schedule. Dates and times were set , hands were shaken and smiles exchanged.

Anonymous Employee in Roseville, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bon-Ton Stores (Roseville, MN) in May 2014.

Interview

Applied online, and received an email to come in for an interview.

Questions:
    Tell me about yourself.
    Why do you want to work for us?
    Tell me about a time you had to work as a team.
    What do you think you will be doing as a sales associate?
    What department would you like to work in?

Interview Questions

• What do you think you will be doing as a sales associate?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bon-Ton Stores.

Interview

First interview consisted of personality test questions. Second interview consisted of questions about me.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.
      Why do you want to work here?
      How would you handle multiple customers in line?
      What makes a friendly employee?   Answer Question