Bonneville Power Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Bonneville Power

2.6

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bonneville Power (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied, received phone call to set up interview, interviewed, checked references, job offer, background check. The process is normal for applying with a government agency. Very straight forward experience.

Interview Questions

• Do I get along with Coworkers personality type questions with some technical questions about my experience   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bonneville Power (Portland, OR) in October 2010.

Interview

Phone screen consisted of skills-based inquiry. In-person interview occurred within a week. This consisted of skills-based and behavioral questions, previous work examples. Hiring manager and work leader were different people. Offer came within a week.

Interviewers were nice people. However, the work leader redirected the interview focus from my strengths to his weaknesses. I had no idea a person could be that weak in their core competency and still hold a job. Civil servant attitudes ranged from embracing change to total apathy. Many employees are 3rd party contractors, and their professional opinions and rational thinking are often trumped by the aforementioned apathy or egos.

Any job tools required beyond computer, pencil, and paper requires several layers of approval, regardless of importance or urgency. Although contract workers make up a majority of the workforce, they are not allowed to attend any federally funded training related to group effectiveness, team work, etc. They are expected to be fully-trained experts at everything.

Advice: Ask how decisions are made, and examples of recent decisions. Ask how many times the same problem has been attacked, and how previous solutions are different from or similar to current projects. Ask for examples of previously solved problems that reoccurred. Also, ask what the organizations biggest concerns are and how they are solving them.

If you want to collect a paycheck and "go with the flow", this is the place for you. Just watch your back and document everything. People disappear for no apparent reason, followed by lame explanations (manager ejected after a year on the job due to "skills mismatch" with no prior discussion or notice).

Interview Questions

• Explain how you have convinced a reluctant stakeholder to accept a proposed change that everyone has approved.   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time a major project deliverable was going to be late. How did you respond? How quickly did you respond?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Job grade was not negotiable. Salary was in a range, but benefits were preset.

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bonneville Power.

Interview

Hiring process is more or less straightforward. However, one key point is that it takes time to conduct the background check and general security clearance.

Straight forward interview. Questions about how your resume/experience fits the position. Likely you can expect to address a scenario: describe your analysis approach and your proposed deliverables.
    Expect additional questions regarding how you would manage stakeholders, address change management and scope creep.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle an uncooperative stakeholder   3 Answers

Negotiation

Position was via a contracting agency. No 'negotiation'

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Bonneville Power (Vancouver, WA) in March 2014.

Interview

It was just with two people. Very relaxed. In a word...fun. They wanted to know about me. It was very much not "scripted" interview. We joked around. They offered me a glass of water.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your previous experience   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Bonneville Power (New York, NY).

Interview

I interviewed for two positions and they had very different interview styles. As a contracted employee, the interviews felt short and that I didn't necessarily get a view on what the job and culture would be like before I accepted the position.

Interview Questions

• In your own words, define strategy.   1 Answer

Student Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bonneville Power.

Interview

I was interviewed by a panel of 3. One was the student program coordinator, one was a former student program member and the third was the manager of a group that takes lots of students. After asking about me and my resume they asked 3 questions about times where I worked in a group, was a leader, etc.

Interview Questions

• No questions were difficult or unexpected. Government agencies do not ask technical questions for their student interns.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiation is

Help Desk Analyst II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bonneville Power (Portland, OR) in May 2010.

Interview

Found job posted with Contracting agency. Submitted resume for first screen to them. The contracting agency then screens their applicants and sends 1-3 candidates to Bonneville's Contracting Officer for screen. The CO may get submissions from 3-4 different agencies, then selects 3-4 for the Hiring Manager to interview. The hiring manager does a phone screen first, then if the candidate passes the phone screen, is invited (through the contracting agency) for a 1:1 interview. Due to security requirements, the candidate is escorted 100% of the time while on the property. If selected, the candidate has to fill out a Security Background Investigation form that gives the agency the information needed to perform a full National Agency Check Investigation (NACI). While that process is on-going, A clean Local Agency check allows the accepted contractor to get a temporary badge that allows limited access to the building(s) that they require. If the accepted contractor cannot pass the Local or National Agency check, they are released due to non-qualification. If you have anything on your record that may be of concern, put it down on the form! Just because you have something on your record does not mean that you will not be hired, but concealing it will cause an immediate termination when it is found.

Interview Questions

• Tell us how you handled a difficult customer/situation in the past.   2 Answers
    • How would you diagnose a customer's inability to print on their network printer?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation, other than possibly advising them of previously scheduled vacations and asking for the time off (was not a problem). As a Federal Agency, they have standard pay levels and contractor rates under the "prevailing wage" system.

Electrical Engineering Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Bonneville Power (Portland, OR) in March 2012.

Interview

The first interview was a conference call with 3 Engineers interviewing me. Very hard to do. Only HR questions asked (very difficult ones). I was given a second interview, where they flew someone over to personally interview me. This interview was much better, I thought for sure I was going to get the position. However I got an automated email a few weeks later saying I didn't make the cut. Never found out why I didn't get it.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever been in a position where you had to make a choice between something ethical and unethical? What choice did you make (and why) and what was the outcome?   1 Answer

Business Analyst User Experience Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bonneville Power (Portland, OR) in December 2009.

Interview

They required a skills assessment where they asked me to answer a number of technical questions to test my knowledge of the industry and methodology.

Interview Questions

My current contract was renewed.

Electronics Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Bonneville Power (Vancouver, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

Over the phone, around 30 minutes. Behavioral Type Questions. Team of 3 people with different backgrounds. Low stress and relaxing. Gave at least 1 week to prepare for interview after contacting about their interest with me as a potential intern.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you had to do something you felt was immoral during a job or during school.   Answer Question