Books-A-Million Barista Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Books-A-Million Barista Interview Questions

1.9

8 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Barista Interview

Interview

Had one interview. Called me later in the week and offered me the job. They just talked to me about how important it is to upsell, especially the discount card.

Interview Questions

• they just talked to me about selling the discount card and magazines.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Books-A-Million

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Cincinnati, OH).

Interview

Went to the interview and dressed up nicely as I always have and the interview was very unprofessional. The basically told me the pay was awful and you barely get hours. They also told me I would be working by myself in the café and even though I applied for a barista job I would have to sell a certain amount of there "discount cards" to get hours and whatnot.

Interview Questions

• Sell me one of our discount cards.   1 Answer

The job seemed way to stressful to work there. You get no hours, get paid minimum wage and even if you get hired as a barista you are forced to sell sell sell to even have a job. NOT worth it

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ames, IA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Ames, IA) in January 2013.

Interview

It was a group interview with two other people and we were sitting in the coffee shop area of joe muggs, it was two of the managers and they let us order a drink from the cafe. It was very relaxed and they even let us taste some of the samples that were sitting out in the cafe. Both of the managers were extremely friendly. The whole interview process went very quickly and there was a lot of relaxed conversation in between questions.

Interview Questions

• Name three random things.. RANDOM things   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Gastonia, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Gastonia, NC).

Interview

I applied at the store in person, and was called in for an interview the same day, although I believe all current applications must be submitted on-line. The process consisted of one interview with the cafe manager, and a personality/skills test, which took about half an hour to complete. Basic customer service and prior experience questions. Dress professional and be prepared, and it is an easy interview process.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected, basic questions like "how would you deal with a difficult customer", and "describe good customer service".   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was hired as a barista at base pay, but was promoted to cafe manager a week later. I was able to negotiate a slightly hire than base rate of pay based on prior management experience.

Anonymous Employee in Port Charlotte, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Port Charlotte, FL) in May 2008.

Interview

I was called in for an interview and interviewed one on one with the General Manager in the store Cafe. He questioned me what I liked about the store and Coffee specifically and my prior knowledge on it. He then called me in for a second interview which I had a small personality test and quick phone interview. Then an interview by the Cafe manager which consisted of questioning about Barista my knowledge.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leesburg, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Leesburg, FL) in November 2007.

Interview

I applied online after a recommendation by a friend who currently worked there. Was called in for an interview a couple days later. The interview took place in the customer area of the coffe shop Joe Mugs. The interview lasted 10 to 15 minutes. The manager asked a few basic questions and thanked me and left. I did not hear back from them after that.

Barista Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Books-A-Million in November 2010.

Interview

Interview was with two GM's, one leaving and one just coming in. They both interviewed me and decided to hire me on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Tell me why you want to work for Books-A-Million   Answer Question
    • Give me three examples of good customer service you've given in the past.   Answer Question

Negotiation

n/a

Barista Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Books-A-Million in September 2010.

Interview

Got a call the day I put in the application, had an interview within an hour of the call. The interview was pretty standard, but took place in the cafe while the employees were scrubbing out the back room (visible from my seat). One manager was asked if she wanted to talk to me, she said no.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with workplace drama?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was told minimum wage was the normal offer, but with experience in food, I got an extra 30 cents.