Books-A-Million Bookseller Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 5, 2017

2.1

76 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Books-A-Million.

Interview

I applied and then got called a couple days later. When I went to the interview we sat at one of the tables at the coffee place in store . It was sort of distracting with all the noise. Theh mostly want you to sell their membership cards and magazine subscriptions which will influence how many hours you get, so if you do poorly you'll get less hours and be fired after the 90 days.

Interview Questions

• How would you fit in working at bam? what past experiences do you have.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Books-A-Million

Anonymous Employee in Murfreesboro, TN

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Murfreesboro, TN).

Interview

Very casual but thorough, talked a lot about the job and selling memberships and magazines. A lot of questions were based on my ability to upsell and make metrics, which I had experience with. They also wanted to make sure I was organized and could connect with customers.

Anonymous Employee in Bradenton, FL

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Bradenton, FL) in July 2017.

Interview

There were open interviews and I had my initial interview with the GM and the second with the other managers. When I left, I pretty much knew whether or not I got the job.

Interview Questions

• What was something your previous workplace lacked?   1 Answer

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Books-A-Million.

Interview

There are online questions that one has to answer as well as a few short essay style questions. The online process is not that time consuming and if you application stands out they ask for an in person meeting, otherwise your application stays in their system. You can also add store locations to be considered at.

Interview Questions

• If it is 5 mins before your shift ends, and a customer asks you a detailed question, what do you do?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Meridian, MS

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Meridian, MS) in May 2017.

Interview

It was an open interview. I signed a sign in sheet and then waited in the cafe for someone to call me back. She brought me to two chairs in the back corner of the store. It only took about 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• What is something you have learned in the past 7 days?   Answer Question
    • Other than a love for books, why do you want to work at BAM?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in North Canton, OH

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (North Canton, OH) in May 2017.

Interview

Typical questions regarding availability. They also asked about your ability to sell discount cards and magazines. In addition I was asked a bit about knowledge of literature. Mostly they were interested in availability as they are a retail business you had to be available on weekends and holidays.

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Books-A-Million.

Interview

Applied online and received an invitation for a one-on-one in-person interview with a manager. She was nice enough and the interview was easy, but she seemed extremely uncomfortable with the fact that I already had a bachelors degree. I was looking for a flexible position to hold while I was in graduate school and would have stayed there for 4-5 years if I'd been hired. After the interview, I did not receive any further communications from BAM.

Anonymous Employee in Salina, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Salina, KS).

Interview

You sit down with the assistant manager for the normal interview questions. They then go over the job requirements if hired. Ask you why you want to work at a bookstore. Ask you to "sell" your favorite book to them. If they liked you, you get a second interview set up with the general manager of the location. They ask you the exact same questions as the first interview. They go deeper into the explanation of the job requirements. If they you, youre background check is run. If you pass, youre offered the job.

Anonymous Employee in Aiken, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Aiken, SC) in August 2016.

Interview

I first meet with the assistant manager who asks basic interview questions. I guess he liked me enough to where he sends the general manager to speak to me. The general manager asked me some of the same questions and he went into detail about the job and what it requires along with its benefits. I assumed they both liked me since the assistant manager came back and told me they would send me an email for a background check.

Interview Questions

• What have you learned in the last 7 days?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New Bern, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (New Bern, NC) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied on-line back in March and heard nothing, so I reapplied in August. Two days later, I printed out my resume, walked in the store, and asked to speak to the manager. The assistant manager was there so I spoke to her, and she arranged a second interview with the general manager.