Books-A-Million Bookseller Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Books-A-Million Bookseller Interview Questions

Updated Jan 3, 2017

2.1

Anonymous Employee in Salina, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Salina, KS).

Interview

You sit down with the assistant manager for the normal interview questions. They then go over the job requirements if hired. Ask you why you want to work at a bookstore. Ask you to "sell" your favorite book to them. If they liked you, you get a second interview set up with the general manager of the location. They ask you the exact same questions as the first interview. They go deeper into the explanation of the job requirements. If they you, youre background check is run. If you pass, youre offered the job.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Books-A-Million

Anonymous Employee in New Bern, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (New Bern, NC) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied on-line back in March and heard nothing, so I reapplied in August. Two days later, I printed out my resume, walked in the store, and asked to speak to the manager. The assistant manager was there so I spoke to her, and she arranged a second interview with the general manager.

Anonymous Employee in Aiken, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Aiken, SC) in August 2016.

Interview

I first meet with the assistant manager who asks basic interview questions. I guess he liked me enough to where he sends the general manager to speak to me. The general manager asked me some of the same questions and he went into detail about the job and what it requires along with its benefits. I assumed they both liked me since the assistant manager came back and told me they would send me an email for a background check.

Interview Questions

• What have you learned in the last 7 days?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Montgomery, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Montgomery, AL) in August 2016.

Interview

Very simple, laid back. One of the most easy interviews I've ever had to do. Make sure that you have a lot of general knowledge on BAM! in general, because that was asked of me in my interview.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about BAM! ?   1 Answer

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Books-A-Million.

Interview

I went to an open interview- I had to wait a long time, but the interview was probably only 15 minutes once we sat down. The guy was friendly and casual- and the questions weren't too hard. After that, I got a call a week later asking for me to come in again. I met with the manager and she explained the position and compensation to me. Then I submitted a background check, and when that went through, I got a call with an official offer. Have patience and don't get down if it's taking a long time. They might still be working on it and be busy.

Interview Questions

• What was a mistake you've mad at a past job and what did you do to correct it?   Answer Question
    • What was your favorite of the jobs you've had?   Answer Question
    • Other than liking books and media, what makes you want to work for our company?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Columbia, MD) in July 2016.

Interview

Walked in, waited about 3 minutes, met up with the assistant manager, and sat down outside of the store for the remainder of the interview. Interview was very pleasant and had no sort of unreasonable questions. Got a second interview with the manager and that was a bit harder. However, that one was also quite pleasant. They told me what was expected of me, had me submit to a background check, and sent me on my way to wait for it to clear.

Anonymous Employee in Concord, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Concord, NC) in June 2016.

Interview

50 minute interview, interviewer was laid back, felt very comfortable. Most of the time was spent explaining the job details and expectations for selling membership cards. Basic interview questions asked, nothing too tricky. I was offered the job one week later. Good, informal, casual conversation that went well. This was a position that I was prepared to apply for, and my previous experience working of volunteering helped me to get the job.

Interview Questions

• At what times are you available to work?   1 Answer
    • Tell me one thing you learned this week.   1 Answer

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Books-A-Million in June 2016.

Interview

They took the interviewing/hiring process pretty slow. After each step, it took them about a week to process it. After submitting my application the first time, I waited almost a month before I got offered an interview.

There were two interviews total, the first one being a group interview. There were about six people in my group. We interviewed in the middle of the store with customers walking around us and everything, which I found kind of odd, but I didn't mind much. He asked pretty basic questions, going around the circle. Things like availability, a positive/negative customer experience we had, whether we had experience in retail before. At the end, he explained expectations of the job, that selling discount cards and magazine subscriptions was an extremely important part of the job.

I was invited back for a second interview, which, to my relief, was one on one. It was a different manager, and he asked me essentially the same questions that were asked in the first interview. It was very casual and relaxed. The whole thing only took about 15 minutes, and I'm pretty sure it only took that long because I asked him more questions than he asked me, which I think he liked.

If you show interest and excitement about the position, even if you fake it or if you just need money, you'll probably get hired. Judging by the people who work there, they seem to hire people who are very extroverted, friendly, and easy to talk to.

After that interview, it took a little over a week before I got offered the position, and about four days after that to get brought in to fill out the hiring paperwork.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever worked in retail before?   1 Answer
    • Why should we hire you over everyone else we're interviewing today?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a negative situation you had with a customer and how you turned it around.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you provided excellent customer service.   Answer Question
    • What does customer service mean to you?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Canton, OH

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Canton, OH) in April 2016.

Interview

Good, informal, casual conversation that went well. This was a position that I was prepared to apply for, and my previous experience working at libraries helped me to get the job.

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Books-A-Million in April 2016.

Interview

Placed a follow-call and was invited for an interview without my resume being referenced. 50 minute interview, interviewer was laid back, felt very comfortable. Most of the time was spent explaining the job details and expectations for selling membership cards. Basic interview questions asked, nothing too tricky. Was offered the job 3 days later.