Books-A-Million Cashier Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Books-A-Million Cashier Interview Questions

Updated Nov 30, 2016

1.6

Anonymous Employee in East Stroudsburg, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (East Stroudsburg, PA) in August 2016.

Interview

The interview went really well. The manager was friendly and made sure to make me feel comfortable as this was my first interview. We talked about my favorite books and areas of interest and what my duties would be if I were hired. Overall, it was a pleasant experience.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Books-A-Million

Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Virginia Beach, VA) in August 2016.

Interview

Pleasant. Lasted approximately thirty minutes. Asked several leading questions: why did I think I would be good in this position; why did I want to work in this position; did I think I could do this position.

Interview Questions

• Why did I want to work at Books a Million?   1 Answer

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Books-A-Million.

Interview

I had to make a follow up call after submitting my application about a week later to get an interview. Very friendly manager interviewed me and was most impressed by my previous experience with answering phones which you may need to do on the job.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Gave them a copy of my school schedule and they worked around it without a problem.

Anonymous Employee in Tallahassee, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Tallahassee, FL) in November 2013.

Interview

Met with manager and answered a few behavioral questions. Nice and Easy.

Negotiation

No negotiation

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Books-A-Million in June 2012.

Interview

I went in on a Sunday just looking around. I was speaking with an employee she told me they were having open interviews the next day. I applied that night and went in the next day for a group interview. We were told we would be called if they were interested by thursday. I called on friday. I got another intweview the next week. Went in and spoke with a different manager. I was hired that day.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Biloxi, MS

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Biloxi, MS) in March 2012.

Interview

I applied online and heard back the next Monday [when I was told they do their interviews]. He wanted me to come in that day for an interview. I said okay. I went in early and waited about 20 minutes. We went into a backroom and sat down. He asked me some basic questions: "Tell me about yourself.", "Tell me about your employment experience."
    He asked about my availability and told me that it was just a basic cashier type position and that it was minimum wage.
    He told me about the membership card and how my job would basically be riding on how many I could sell, which as any logical person would know is based around random chance.
    Then he handed me his pen and told me to "sell it to him". Some other employees had made their way into the backroom and were shuffling through the fridge and interrupted at this point and said that I could literally make up anything. So I did. He went for it and I guess liked it. I was kind of stumbling on that one because I didn't see it coming at all.
    Then he asked me if my email address was correct. He was going to go ahead and send me an email that would include a link to an electronic background check. Once I finished it I should give him a call back.
    I went home and finished it and left a message with someone for him.

The whole interview itself was very short. There weren't any competency questions or "what would you do if" questions. They were just questions about my application. Very simple. Just be creative if you have to sell the interviewer their pen. My pitch involved rainbows. Just saying.

Interview Questions

• I want you to sell me this pen.   1 Answer

I never actually heard back from him, but it was only the other day that I was interviewed and since then I happen to have stumbled across one of those rare "perfect jobs" which is beating the crap out of what books a million could ever be.
    I wasn't too attracted by the concept of selling membership cards to people that already know about them anyway, and for a dying bookstore at that with a mediocre average customer count at best.
    He also seemed overly concerned about my availability changing next semester.
    I saw problems, I guess.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Savannah, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Savannah, GA) in March 2010.

Interview

Interview went great, but when I got home I had an email saying I was not quailifed for the Cashiers job. Go figure!

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Books-A-Million in June 2012.

Interview

I had one interview with a manager, then another with a general manager, then went back again to do paperwork. Everyone was pleasant and helpful.