Books-A-Million Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Books-A-Million Interview Questions

Updated Feb 27, 2017

2.0

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Books-A-Million in June 2016.

Interview

They took the interviewing/hiring process pretty slow. After each step, it took them about a week to process it. After submitting my application the first time, I waited almost a month before I got offered an interview.

There were two interviews total, the first one being a group interview. There were about six people in my group. We interviewed in the middle of the store with customers walking around us and everything, which I found kind of odd, but I didn't mind much. He asked pretty basic questions, going around the circle. Things like availability, a positive/negative customer experience we had, whether we had experience in retail before. At the end, he explained expectations of the job, that selling discount cards and magazine subscriptions was an extremely important part of the job.

I was invited back for a second interview, which, to my relief, was one on one. It was a different manager, and he asked me essentially the same questions that were asked in the first interview. It was very casual and relaxed. The whole thing only took about 15 minutes, and I'm pretty sure it only took that long because I asked him more questions than he asked me, which I think he liked.

If you show interest and excitement about the position, even if you fake it or if you just need money, you'll probably get hired. Judging by the people who work there, they seem to hire people who are very extroverted, friendly, and easy to talk to.

After that interview, it took a little over a week before I got offered the position, and about four days after that to get brought in to fill out the hiring paperwork.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever worked in retail before?   1 Answer
    • Why should we hire you over everyone else we're interviewing today?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a negative situation you had with a customer and how you turned it around.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you provided excellent customer service.   Answer Question
    • What does customer service mean to you?   1 Answer

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Birmingham, AL) in June 2016.

Interview

I applied online, and my first interview was in person at their Birmingham, AL office. I was interviewed by three senior members of the on site marketing team. As a result of some complication with HR, none of them had seen my resume or portfolio that I had sent ahead, so I spent half of the interview orally going through my resume. They explained the position and what their department does extensively (that was basically the other half of the interview). Overall neutral experience leaning towards negative, because of their lack of preparation. However, I never heard from them ever again. I emailed and called my HR contact and never saw hide nor hair from them. Factoring that in, it was definitely a negative experience.

Interview Questions

• What is the last show you watched on Netflix?   1 Answer
    • What is your favorite font?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Canton, OH

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Canton, OH) in April 2016.

Interview

Good, informal, casual conversation that went well. This was a position that I was prepared to apply for, and my previous experience working at libraries helped me to get the job.

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Books-A-Million in April 2016.

Interview

Placed a follow-call and was invited for an interview without my resume being referenced. 50 minute interview, interviewer was laid back, felt very comfortable. Most of the time was spent explaining the job details and expectations for selling membership cards. Basic interview questions asked, nothing too tricky. Was offered the job 3 days later.

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at Books-A-Million in April 2016.

Interview

I applied for the position. 3 months past and they re-posted. I tried to re-apply online, however it said that I already did. Another 3 months and another re-posting. Another notification that I was being considered.

A few weeks past and I got a call asking when I interviewed with them. They needed to know for their records. I told them that I had never gotten an interview.

I was part of a group interview with about 11 other people. We were told there were two or three other groups being interviewed. They said that there would be another round this time one-on-one.

I never got a call for the one-on-one. I thought I made a good impression, at least enough to get to the next round. Someone I know works there and was mentioned in the interview as the model employee. She said she spoke on my behalf.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any retail experience?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to work for BAM?... I do not say that you love to read or like helping people.   1 Answer
    • What is customer service?   1 Answer
    • Does anyone having experience working in children's departments or with magazines?   1 Answer
    • We are looking to promote a manager from the group of candidates that we hire. Does anyone have management experience and/or interest in being a manager.   1 Answer

Application

Interview

I went in for my first interview, spoke with the assistant manager, and it was a pleasant experience. The interview was brief and I was asked questions about my work experience and why I'd like to work there. After that, i was called back to speak with the general manager. The interviews were very similar, not intimidating and easy. Confidence, communication, and a little bit of humor go a long way.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at BAM?   1 Answer

Negotiation

They told me that hourly rate for starters was 50 cents over minimum wage, which happened to be 8.55 for me.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Scranton, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Scranton, PA) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied online and received a call a couple of weeks later asking if I could come in for a face-to-face interview. I went in and met with both the manager and the assistant manager. It really depends store to store, but my managers were professional in the interview and I didn't have a problem with them.

Assistant General Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Books-A-Million in March 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Called for interview a wk later. Knew it was doomed when I walked in & the GM was having to cover the register while a cashier was on break. Interviewed by GM and DM. Nice people but wanting more than they're going to get. Offering an extremely low wage for an Asst GM position. GM had to keep leaving interview so I had to repeat answers twice. Obviously want someone they don't have to train, so not sure why they called me in the first place. Waste of time. These stores are running empty. Saw two people shopping there the whole time. When I say shopping, I mean one reading magazines & one drinking coffee in the cafe. I think BAM is doomed to the fate of Borders soon.

Barista/Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Books-A-Million.

Interview

The first part was a pitch. I had to sell myself, then literally try to sell something to the manager. The second interview was mostly the manager talking and telling me about the tasks in the store. I was told from the get go the pay doesn't match the amount of work, but SPIFF and the potential raise seemed to be achievable.

Barista/Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Books-A-Million.

Interview

Applied online and got a call from them the next week to meet with one of the managers and then scheduled to meet with the main manager. The main manager sent me a background check and once that was done, I signed the paperwork and started working.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to sell cards?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever worked with a difficult customer, how did you resolve the problem?   Answer Question