Books-A-Million Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 21, 2017

2.0

Barista/Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Auburn, AL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Auburn, AL) in September 2015.

Interview

i ran into a friend working in the cafe who told me they needed people for day shifts. she introduced me to the manager who set up a meeting with me a few days later. it was a very laid back meeting, and i was offered the job at the end of it.

Interview Questions

• what kind of books do you like to read and why?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Bridgeport, WV

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Bridgeport, WV) in August 2015.

Interview

After a questionnaire screening, simple interview with both the store manager and assistant manager in attendance. Standard work questions, and personal questions about favorite books, series, shows, any sort of preferences for what is done in your spare time just to see if you'd be a good fit for the atmosphere of the workplace.

Interview Questions

• Are you able to sell our loyalty card?   1 Answer

Bookseller/Barista Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Baton Rouge, LA).

Interview

I had the job within her asking me three questions. Pretty cut and dry interview. Very basic questions and doesn't take much preparation. They were very desperate for people so I am pretty sure she didn't care what I was saying.

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Books-A-Million.

Interview

I applied online two years ago and called about all day interviews on site. I came in for an interview. I was applying to become a Bookseller, but the manager wanted me to be a Barista or was implying this. It was a simple interview. I was called to come in to do paperwork because I was hired. I ended up quitting due to how unorganized the store was and unprofessionalism.

Anonymous Employee in Laredo, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Laredo, TX).

Interview

Brief and to-the-point interview process; was asked specific questions and given valuable information about the importance of the company and customer service. From the interview to my work now, I feel very comfortable with the workings of the company and the store as well as the people I work with--company team members are always friendly and helpful.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Charleston, SC).

Interview

It was very informal, lasting maybe ten minutes with the AGM and another 3-5 with the GM. They asked why I was interested, whether I had worked in retail before, and what value I would bring to the team - pretty generic stuff. It was not the kind of interview that required any strenuous prep work.

Interview Questions

• They did ask how much I expected to earn.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in South Portland, ME

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (South Portland, ME).

Interview

I was very patient as the store was understaffed. The interview was 30 minutes late and the interviewer had to leave and come back almost 4 times to back up in various parts of the store.

Interview Questions

• When would you be able to start?   1 Answer

PHP Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Books-A-Million.

Interview

Over the phone with Corporate then face to face with team leader in Nashville, office was worse than a startup in a garage, I would be ashamed if this was the corporate IT department in my company...what an embarrassment

Interview Questions

• Technical Stuff   1 Answer
    • Questions were authored by another developer not available, so they were flying blind   1 Answer

Books-A-Million Response

Mar 10, 2015 – VP of HR

We are always interested in feedback from candidates who are interested in working with Books-A-Million. Thanks for letting us know about your experience.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Destin, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Destin, FL) in March 2015.

Interview

Standard interview. Show up in slacks and a polo. They ask you standard questions for the most part. They are desperate for employees because the company doesn't offer fair wages. It's a tourist area, so most employees are traveling from neighboring towns. Due to the price of gas, it doesn't make economic sense to work there.

Anonymous Employee in Concord, NH

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Concord, NH) in February 2015.

Interview

Basically they were looking for a warm body to fill their schedule. They discussed the duties but omitted their emphasis on the sale of discount cards. They were vague about compensation and opportunities in company.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever worked at a bookstore?   1 Answer

Negotiation

None