Books-A-Million Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Books-A-Million Interview Questions

Updated Feb 27, 2017

2.0

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Columbia, SC) in January 2015.

Interview

The interviews were done very poorly in my opinion. A member of the management team sat down with at least three candidates in the Cafe and asked each potential candidate maybe one question each related to their experience. (Please keep in mind that other patrons were eating, talking, etc. while they were "conducting" interviews. At times it was very noisy.) Each candidate was then handed the flyer for the magazine subscriptions and then given time to present a sales pitch on them. The magazine and discount card sales were pushed as the main point of the position and not customer interaction or satisfaction.

Interview Questions

• They asked me about prior management and food service experience.   1 Answer

P/T Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Books-A-Million.

Interview

I was interviewed in an odd process where I listened to the manager complain about her job for 30 min. Literally, all the woman did was complain and whine about her job, how the "higher-ups" abused the workers(actually she used the word describing the solid end result of the digestive process), and how she was expected to enforce her work force hassling the customers to buy magazine subscriptions and discount cards or else suffer cut hours or being made redundant.

Interview Questions

• Why the hell do you want to work retail?   1 Answer

Negotiation

None

Part-time Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Books-A-Million.

Interview

Informal, one-on-one interview with a manager and standard interview questions going off of the information provided in my application. Also, lots of question/discussion about books, of course: favorite genres, favorite authors, what book I'd read most recently, etc. It wasn't high pressure, and I actually found it pretty fun.

The manager seemed uncomfortable with my level of education though, since I already had a bachelors in hand. I had just started graduate school at the time and was looking for a part-time position to last me through the 2-3 years of my program. Even though I said I expected to stay for at least two years, she said she was concerned I would leave them early. I did not get an offer.

Interview Questions

• What assurance do I have that you won't start and then just leave us?   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Books-A-Million.

Interview

I applied online for the Bookseller position then received a call a week later asking if I'd like to set up an interview. The interview took place over at their Joe Muggs coffee shop and was pretty laid back. I was asked about my previous job experience and was told more about the position. It wasn't a long interview and I was told that it was a two step interview process, and that I would receive a call later that day or tomorrow to set up another interview. I never received a call back and I did not get the job.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable with using computers/new technology.   1 Answer

Joe Muggs Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hanover, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Hanover, MD).

Interview

It was very informal, they have a list of questions that are pretty standard. It was clear that they were desperate to hire someone. I actually applied to be a bookseller but the manager (who has since been fired) persuaded me to work for the coffee shop instead. No drug test the whole time, but this was a few years ago.

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Books-A-Million.

Interview

I applied online after seeing a posting about a Job Fair. I went to the open interview session, where I was interviewed by the General Manager first. She asked about my previous retail experience, how I got along with my current manager and peers, and what I liked to do in my spare time. She also asked me what my favorite book was and why; then, she told me to tell me why she should buy the book. She told me they would call me to schedule a second interview later, and they did. The next time, I interviewed with one of the co-managers. Looking back, his main focus was to see how much sales experience I had and also how I would handle a difficult situation (i.e., there's a line at the register, a random customer comes up asking about a book while the phones rings in the background.)

Interview Questions

• What would I do if there's a line at the register, and a customer comes up asking about a book while the phones rings in the background?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Did not negotiate.

Anonymous Employee in Fairview Park, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Fairview Park, OH) in November 2014.

Interview

I applied right before the holiday rush in October and I was called back about two weeks later. If you're interested in working for a Books-A-Million outlet, the best time to apply is before the holidays because they are going to need extra help.

Interview Questions

• Be prepared to have an answer if they ask what your favorite book is or what your favorite type of book is. It looks really bad if you don't have an answer. It also helps if you brush up on their membership program before hand and are familiar with Books-A-Million in general. Some people would apply that had never been in the store before which is always a little odd.   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Books-A-Million in October 2014.

Interview

Short, like really short, and if you don't get the job the first time, just go in to the open interviews a second time and you'll get the job that time for sure!

Interview Questions

• What hours are you available?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Books-A-Million in September 2014.

Interview

I was interviewed by the assistant general manager who was extremely pleasant and welcoming. She answered all my questions, spoke highly of the company and was willing to work with me on what hours I could and couldn't work. She asked me a number of questions that were appropriate to the position.

Negotiation

Unfortunately there was no room for pay negotiation but she did explain the opportunities available if I were to become full time.

Book Seller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Books-A-Million in August 2014.

Interview

I should have known from the initial point of contact that this "interview" would be a disaster. The interviewer asked if I was available on XY date, I said yes, and they promptly hung up on me! I tried giving the benefit of the doubt that we were disconnected, but had a bad feeling nonetheless.

The day of my interview arrived. I got there 5 minutes early. The interviewer greeted me and said he was busy with new hire paperwork so I would have to wait. I said that's fine, but why would he bring up new hires? Made me feel like my time wasn't important, and very disrespectful. Well, I waited 25 minutes past my interview time before he finally showed up.

We sat down in the cafe, which I felt was not private at all. There were employees around being loud and customers trying to read. First, he called me by the wrong name, and when I corrected him, he sifted through a huge pile of resumes to find mine. One employee kept trying to distract the interviewer (who I'm pretty sure wasn't even a manager or supervisor) throughout the entire process, and often when I was speaking, the interviewer would bust out laughing at something the employee was distracting him with behind my back. He kept yawning and wouldn't give me eye contact.

The company seems way too concerned with selling the customer discount/benefit cards. I don't think it's fair to start an employee at minimum wage and give the most/best hours to those who sell the most cards. But that's just my 2 cents.

This interview was extremely amateur and I walked away totally disappointed. I thought I would enjoy working at BAM but my experience was very negative. Before you apply to this company, read through the interviews on this site. I had my doubts about most but unfortunately only believed when I saw with my own eyes. Don't waste your time. It seemed like the interviewer wanted friends more than respectable employees; he asked me more than once how I would fit in with current employees because they are all friends.

Advice to BAM: Pay better attention at whats going on in your stores. It's embarrassing.

Even if I had gotten an offer I would have declined. A total disappointment.