BoomTown (South Carolina) Interview Questions in Charleston, SC | Glassdoor

BoomTown (South Carolina) Interview Questions in Charleston, SC

Interviews at BoomTown (South Carolina)

2.8

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BoomTown (South Carolina) (Charleston, SC) in March 2019.

Interview

I went through three rounds.

Initial contact was made by email requesting a time to talk on the phone. I appreciate this type of initial contact over a direct phone call at random.
     All subsequent emails were with this same person, who was not any of the people I interviewed with.

The first was an initial phone interview with the company recruiter.
    This person asked some general questions relating to my experience and the skills required for the position. I would say I did 80% of the talking during this phone conversation. I felt a bit awkward because I would answer the questions with what I felt was appropriate detail and energy, but the interviewer barely responded aside from asking the next question.
    They were not exactly rude about it, and I think they made a comment about how they were "taking notes" which might be suggesting that's why they were not interacting as much.
    It wasn't a big deal but it also wasn't a very pleasant phone call overall. Basically I felt like I was just repeating all the information on my resume and application over the phone.
    At the end I was told I would be interviewed by someone who was in charge of the position I was applying to.

I received information about the next phone interview from the same person who emailed me about the first phone call. I believe these phone calls were about a week apart.

This second phone call was with person described above. I cannot recall any real difference between the questions asked in the first phone call and those asked in the second. They were just more general questions about my experience and the job's required skills. A lot of information about this company and any company can be found online, but just like my information could be found in my application and resume, I felt that phone interviews were supposed to be a good time to have a conversation with both sides to get an idea of the other socially. I felt that I tried to do this by answering the questions provided, but I felt that the interviewers did not reciprocate this effort, as they were both too busy "taking notes". I do not feel they were trying at all to make me feel like I should want to work there.
    This phone call is when I started to feel a bit miffed about this interview process. I had basically spent a little over a week in contact with these people, and felt as though no progress had been made.

Being told that someone else would tell me what would happen next through email is one of major aspects of poor communication that I think was present throughout the interview process. Every person I interviewed with basically threw all the responsibility of communicating to me what was happening next to someone else. It is understandable that there isn't always an answer right away after an interview, but I still feel they could do a better job in this aspect.

The final interview was requested through email and I was asked to engage in a video call with three people in my position's department, including the person I talked to on the second phone call. I can't remember exactly but either in the second phone call or one of the emails I was told this video conference was going through a project of mine on github or something along those lines. There was not many details about it either way. So before the video conference I spent time going over what I had there so that I could try and talk about it.
    It ended up being quite different. In total the video conference was almost hour.
    The first ten or fifteen minutes was the same thing as the first two phone interviews. I would like to also note the "taking notes" thing came up again during this hour long interview as well. I really wanna see these notes.
    The latter forty-five minutes were mostly skill related questions.
    I understand in this field technical skills are important and testing interviewees is a thing, but this was kinda silly in my opinion. I would have appreciated more information about what would happen in the video session before hand.

This length of this description matches my feelings about this entire process. It just felt dragged out.
    I understand it can be difficult to select a candidate for a position from a large group of applicants. I also understand that there is definitely other people who were probably better fit for the job than I. I don't understand what made me less qualified, as no feedback was given.

Overall I think my issues with the process were:
    1. Repetitive question answer sessions on phone and in video about my experience
    2. Lack of personal interest in me or effort to make me WANT to work at BoomTown
    3. Lack of overall feedback about my candidacy

Interview Questions

• There was a pseudo-code problem, questions about SQL, questions about OOP, questions about computer science concepts in general, a logic puzzle, and some questions at the end about my favorite app/website/software, what I did and didn't like about it, and how I would improve it if I was in charge.   1 Answer

BoomTown (South Carolina) Response

Mar 26, 2019

Hello -

Thank you for taking time to leave feedback. We appreciate your personal insight into our process. If you're willing, please email talent@boomtownroi.com so that we can set up a time for... More

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at BoomTown (South Carolina) (Charleston, SC).

Interview

Very casual interview process. Took a short online programming exam, then met with a senior software engineer who told me a little bit about the company and ask a few technical questions. Then went back for another interview and sat down with a few software engineers who ask some technical questions but mostly about my experience and what my understanding was on particular subjects. However, it was very casual and most of the questions were more real life scenario questions instead of theoretical computer science questions. Then finally has a cultural interview with people from various departments. The cultural interview was great and very causal and gave me a better understanding of the company and why people enjoyed working there.

Interview Questions

• What is your preferred language and/or framework? What was a particularly challenging software bug you had and how did you end up fixing it?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BoomTown (South Carolina) (Charleston, SC).

Interview

People submit their resumes on line or via referrals internally. Candidates recommended by current employees are given special attention. Typically candidates are given an initial phone interview followed by several in-person interviews. Usually they will first meet with the talent department followed by the hiring manager. Then they will have an in-depth technical interview with several members of the engineering team. They will be asked all kinds of questions related to what they've built, how they've done it, and what they're passionate about. They may also be asked to design things on-the-fly and or write some code to solve a problem in any language they are comfortable with. Usually the last part of the interview process is too see if the candidate is a good culture fit. They are usually interviewed by several people from different parts of the company.

Once the interview process is complete everyone involved in the process sits down and has an open and honest discussion about the candidate and whether or not they're a great fit for the company.

Interview Questions

• Typically it will revolve around solving some kind of technical problem. It's not the same every time and definitely varies depending on who is giving the interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate salary, vacation, and relocation.

Sales Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BoomTown (South Carolina) (Charleston, SC).

Interview

You will go through a standard two phone screens and if all goes well you will be invited for an onsite interview.

An itinerary will be sent out with several scheduled interviews with a total of about 10-12 members of Boomtown. It was basically a meeting with each member of the sales team and a cultural interview with people from other departments within the Company.

The office is really cool, it has a typical start-up chill type vibe (everyone causal, office is dog friendly).

Overall the interview was a great experience, everyone is very friendly and easy to talk to. Each individual bleeds Boomtown, and you will feel a lot of positive energy and almost cheerleader type vibe about their experience with the company. They will ask the standard interview questions but feels more like a conversation then an interview.

I was basically led to believe I was getting an offer:
    An email stating they wanted to check my references
    Then another email saying an explanation of benefit team will be reaching out to me...

I continued to promptly follow up after these emails but I was never given a clear idea of what was going on.

I was eventually contacted and told (in a nut shell) they got someone better and would not be moving forward.

Overall, it came across very unprofessional. They could have at least waited till they had explored all options aka done conducting interviews to make any type of decision?? Or just been more clear or honest with where they were with me in the process. I felt very misled. Therefore do not expect anything until offer is on the table. Communication is not a strong point.

Interview Questions

• What makes you want to work at Boomtown?

What can you bring to the company that someone with technology sales experience cannot?   Answer Question

Sales Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at BoomTown (South Carolina) (Charleston, SC) in January 2019.

Interview

I applied online and also had a referral. I was contacted quickly about scheduling a phone interview, however, they had a lot of applicants with software experience so I didn't make it any further.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about the sales process that you have used in the past?   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at BoomTown (South Carolina) (Charleston, SC) in May 2019.

Interview

After applying online I was contacted by email to set up a phone interview. The next step was to go into their Charleston headquarters in May 10, 2019, to interview with 5 different individuals, and a panel.

I was told they were opening a new department, and wanted me to be part of the team.

They were in process of getting the budget approved so there would be a delay in extended an official offer.

I was contacted in beginning of July from the hiring manager that the team would be forming beginning of August, and I would be receiving a offer from HR.

Since I would be relocating from Atlanta I asked enough time to give a two weeks notice to current employer and also have time to find a new home in Charleston, SC.

We are at the end of July now, and I have not heard anything for 3 weeks. I emailed HR person and three of the people interviewed with 6 days ago and no response.

I would have to rate this as a bad experience considering I took vacation time, and spent close to 1K in expenses to go to that interview in Charleston. It seemed they were more interested in picking my brain on a former employer than hiring me. Bad form Boomtown.

Compliance Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at BoomTown (South Carolina) (Charleston, SC) in October 2014.

Interview

The process involved an initial phone interview with a talent recruiter, followed by a phone call with the team lead. Pretty standard interview questions, had great conversation with both of the people I spoke with. I thought that the interviews went great and expected to be called in afterward, but unfortunately they felt that I needed something more challenging. Seems like a great company to work for, though.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BoomTown (South Carolina) (Charleston, SC) in May 2017.

Interview

Even though I didn't get offered the job the interview experience was enjoyable and relaxing. I've never experienced anything like their culture interview and all it did was make me want to join their company more. I'll definitely be trying again, hopefully in the near future.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time when you haven't been able to relate to a customer.   Answer Question

BoomTown (South Carolina) Response

Jun 8, 2017

Hi there,

Thank you for your awesome feedback! We're so happy you were able to experience our culture, and BoomTown as a whole. We hope to reconnect with you in the future!

Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BoomTown (South Carolina) (Charleston, SC) in June 2016.

Interview

Applied in the beginning of June and within two weeks I was offered the position. The Talent Team at BoomTown were awesome through every step of the interview process- they were quick to respond and schedule phone & on-site interviews.

Interview Process: Two phone interviews, first with a Talent Coordinator, then with the captain of the department. A few days after those two phone interviews, I came in for an on-site interview that began with a tour of the office, and then an interview with the department manager and captain. You will have a short writing prompt, then a CULTURE interview. A culture interview was nothing I had experienced before and it completely solidified how much I wanted to work at BoomTown. Their employees truly love working here and it was great to sit with three current Boomers in the culture interview and get a feel for the company.

Interview Questions

• Any HTML experience?

How would you rate yourself on your tech skills?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at BoomTown (South Carolina) (Charleston, SC) in October 2017.

Interview

Contacted via email to set up initial phone screening with Talent Recruiter. Two phone screening interviews, one with the Talent Recruiter and one with the Hiring Manager for your team. Next set is invitation to on site interview with three team members and a culture interview with three Boomers from various departments. Onsite interview process is a two hour experience, which may seem excessive, but is necessary in place of multiple on site interviews. During onsite the team interview was 45 minutes followed by a writing prompt and then culture interview. Culture interview is specific to BoomTown, they take great pride is preserving the current company atmosphere. Overall great experience!