BoomTown (South Carolina) Interview Questions | Glassdoor

BoomTown (South Carolina) Interview Questions

Interviews at BoomTown (South Carolina)

2.8

PHP Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BoomTown (South Carolina) (Charleston, SC) in August 2019.

Interview

I had an initial phone call; a test project; then a video interview with members of the team. I felt that the interviews went well, but I was disappointed by the fact that I never got a response from my follow up emails. I feel like if you have somebody invest the time in a test project, then interview them, you should at least let them know you don't want to move forward with them instead of leaving them hanging.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Simpsonville, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BoomTown (South Carolina) (Simpsonville, SC) in August 2019.

Interview

Initial HR phone screen, then three phone interviews. One with hiring manager and two others with different people. Never bothered to reach out to me after speaking with four different people. Seems like a common courtesy.

Interview Questions

• No tricky questions, just wanted to know how your experiences are suitable to the role.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at BoomTown (South Carolina) (Charleston, SC) in May 2019.

Interview

After applying online I was contacted by email to set up a phone interview. The next step was to go into their Charleston headquarters in May 10, 2019, to interview with 5 different individuals, and a panel.

I was told they were opening a new department, and wanted me to be part of the team.

They were in process of getting the budget approved so there would be a delay in extended an official offer.

I was contacted in beginning of July from the hiring manager that the team would be forming beginning of August, and I would be receiving a offer from HR.

Since I would be relocating from Atlanta I asked enough time to give a two weeks notice to current employer and also have time to find a new home in Charleston, SC.

We are at the end of July now, and I have not heard anything for 3 weeks. I emailed HR person and three of the people interviewed with 6 days ago and no response.

I would have to rate this as a bad experience considering I took vacation time, and spent close to 1K in expenses to go to that interview in Charleston. It seemed they were more interested in picking my brain on a former employer than hiring me. Bad form Boomtown.

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BoomTown (South Carolina) (Charleston, SC) in March 2019.

Interview

I went through three rounds.

Initial contact was made by email requesting a time to talk on the phone. I appreciate this type of initial contact over a direct phone call at random.
     All subsequent emails were with this same person, who was not any of the people I interviewed with.

The first was an initial phone interview with the company recruiter.
    This person asked some general questions relating to my experience and the skills required for the position. I would say I did 80% of the talking during this phone conversation. I felt a bit awkward because I would answer the questions with what I felt was appropriate detail and energy, but the interviewer barely responded aside from asking the next question.
    They were not exactly rude about it, and I think they made a comment about how they were "taking notes" which might be suggesting that's why they were not interacting as much.
    It wasn't a big deal but it also wasn't a very pleasant phone call overall. Basically I felt like I was just repeating all the information on my resume and application over the phone.
    At the end I was told I would be interviewed by someone who was in charge of the position I was applying to.

I received information about the next phone interview from the same person who emailed me about the first phone call. I believe these phone calls were about a week apart.

This second phone call was with person described above. I cannot recall any real difference between the questions asked in the first phone call and those asked in the second. They were just more general questions about my experience and the job's required skills. A lot of information about this company and any company can be found online, but just like my information could be found in my application and resume, I felt that phone interviews were supposed to be a good time to have a conversation with both sides to get an idea of the other socially. I felt that I tried to do this by answering the questions provided, but I felt that the interviewers did not reciprocate this effort, as they were both too busy "taking notes". I do not feel they were trying at all to make me feel like I should want to work there.
    This phone call is when I started to feel a bit miffed about this interview process. I had basically spent a little over a week in contact with these people, and felt as though no progress had been made.

Being told that someone else would tell me what would happen next through email is one of major aspects of poor communication that I think was present throughout the interview process. Every person I interviewed with basically threw all the responsibility of communicating to me what was happening next to someone else. It is understandable that there isn't always an answer right away after an interview, but I still feel they could do a better job in this aspect.

The final interview was requested through email and I was asked to engage in a video call with three people in my position's department, including the person I talked to on the second phone call. I can't remember exactly but either in the second phone call or one of the emails I was told this video conference was going through a project of mine on github or something along those lines. There was not many details about it either way. So before the video conference I spent time going over what I had there so that I could try and talk about it.
    It ended up being quite different. In total the video conference was almost hour.
    The first ten or fifteen minutes was the same thing as the first two phone interviews. I would like to also note the "taking notes" thing came up again during this hour long interview as well. I really wanna see these notes.
    The latter forty-five minutes were mostly skill related questions.
    I understand in this field technical skills are important and testing interviewees is a thing, but this was kinda silly in my opinion. I would have appreciated more information about what would happen in the video session before hand.

This length of this description matches my feelings about this entire process. It just felt dragged out.
    I understand it can be difficult to select a candidate for a position from a large group of applicants. I also understand that there is definitely other people who were probably better fit for the job than I. I don't understand what made me less qualified, as no feedback was given.

Overall I think my issues with the process were:
    1. Repetitive question answer sessions on phone and in video about my experience
    2. Lack of personal interest in me or effort to make me WANT to work at BoomTown
    3. Lack of overall feedback about my candidacy

Interview Questions

• There was a pseudo-code problem, questions about SQL, questions about OOP, questions about computer science concepts in general, a logic puzzle, and some questions at the end about my favorite app/website/software, what I did and didn't like about it, and how I would improve it if I was in charge.   1 Answer

Mar 26, 2019

Hello -

Thank you for taking time to leave feedback. We appreciate your personal insight into our process. If you're willing, please email talent@boomtownroi.com so that we can set up a time for you to connect with BoomTown's Director of Talent to discuss your review in more detail.

Sales Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at BoomTown (South Carolina) (Charleston, SC) in January 2019.

Interview

I applied online and also had a referral. I was contacted quickly about scheduling a phone interview, however, they had a lot of applicants with software experience so I didn't make it any further.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about the sales process that you have used in the past?   Answer Question

Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at BoomTown (South Carolina) (Charleston, SC) in October 2017.

Interview

Contacted via email to set up initial phone screening with Talent Recruiter. Two phone screening interviews, one with the Talent Recruiter and one with the Hiring Manager for your team. Next set is invitation to on site interview with three team members and a culture interview with three Boomers from various departments. Onsite interview process is a two hour experience, which may seem excessive, but is necessary in place of multiple on site interviews. During onsite the team interview was 45 minutes followed by a writing prompt and then culture interview. Culture interview is specific to BoomTown, they take great pride is preserving the current company atmosphere. Overall great experience!

Sales Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BoomTown (South Carolina) (Charleston, SC).

Interview

You will go through a standard two phone screens and if all goes well you will be invited for an onsite interview.

An itinerary will be sent out with several scheduled interviews with a total of about 10-12 members of Boomtown. It was basically a meeting with each member of the sales team and a cultural interview with people from other departments within the Company.

The office is really cool, it has a typical start-up chill type vibe (everyone causal, office is dog friendly).

Overall the interview was a great experience, everyone is very friendly and easy to talk to. Each individual bleeds Boomtown, and you will feel a lot of positive energy and almost cheerleader type vibe about their experience with the company. They will ask the standard interview questions but feels more like a conversation then an interview.

I was basically led to believe I was getting an offer:
    An email stating they wanted to check my references
    Then another email saying an explanation of benefit team will be reaching out to me...

I continued to promptly follow up after these emails but I was never given a clear idea of what was going on.

I was eventually contacted and told (in a nut shell) they got someone better and would not be moving forward.

Overall, it came across very unprofessional. They could have at least waited till they had explored all options aka done conducting interviews to make any type of decision?? Or just been more clear or honest with where they were with me in the process. I felt very misled. Therefore do not expect anything until offer is on the table. Communication is not a strong point.

Interview Questions

• What makes you want to work at Boomtown?

What can you bring to the company that someone with technology sales experience cannot?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BoomTown (South Carolina).

Interview

Interesting company. Had phone, video and in-person interviews. Seem like nice people. Spacious office and energetic group. Would have appreciated feedback but just got a form letter rejection after a month long process.

Interview Questions

BoomTown (South Carolina) Response

Aug 23, 2017

Hi there,

We're sorry that you had a negative experience. We would love to take a moment to chat with you about this, as well as give you feedback. If you're willing, please email talent@boomtownroi.com so that we can set up a time for you to connect with BoomTown's Director of Talent.

Onboarding Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BoomTown (South Carolina) (Charleston, SC) in August 2017.

Interview

Standard interview process, consisting of two phone interviews and an in-person:

-Phone interview with Recruiter - This was a basic, 15-minute call that focused on the specifics listed in the job posting (i.e., experience with Salesforce/Gainsight, previous responsibilities, why you left your last job, etc.). I did ask a few job-specific questions, such as what the everyday responsibilities and expectations are, and she had me wait while she checked her notes.

-Phone interview with Team Lead - This call lasted about 45-minutes, and was engaging and in-depth. It really solidified my interest in the company and Customer Success department! It ended with him saying he was impressed and offering me an in-person interview on the spot, which maybe gave me too much hope.

-In-person interview - Also a great experience! The BoomTown office is amazing, and it's obvious that everyone who works there enjoys it. This consisted of an office tour, an hour-long interview with the Manager and Team Lead, and a 30-minute culture interview with three other employees. I felt like my interview with the Manager and Team Lead was fluid and informative, but will say that I probably bombed the culture portion. Not because I'm not outgoing or a good fit, but because I was told several times it'd be an informal interview where they'd ask me questions about myself... yet they had no questions to ask. It was clear that I was expected to ask all the questions (about the culture and anything I may have felt "uncomfortable" asking in the prior interview). We mostly ended up pulling question prompts from a bucket and talking about TV shows, which didn't feel indicative of who I am, the job, etc. I left kicking myself for not being more prepared!

I was told I'd hear back within a week, but had to email the Team Lead at 2pm the next Friday to receive a "no" from the Recruiter, which was disappointing. I had a positive experience overall, though, and would love to apply again in the future. BoomTown's culture is definitely something special!

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a challenge you experienced in your last role. What was your greatest accomplishment in your last role? How did you use Salesforce and Gainsight in previous positions? Why are you the best fit for this position?   Answer Question

Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BoomTown (South Carolina) (Charleston, SC) in May 2017.

Interview

Even though I didn't get offered the job the interview experience was enjoyable and relaxing. I've never experienced anything like their culture interview and all it did was make me want to join their company more. I'll definitely be trying again, hopefully in the near future.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time when you haven't been able to relate to a customer.   Answer Question

Jun 8, 2017

Hi there,

Thank you for your awesome feedback! We're so happy you were able to experience our culture, and BoomTown as a whole. We hope to reconnect with you in the future!