BoomTown (South Carolina) Interview Questions | Glassdoor

BoomTown (South Carolina) Interview Questions

Interviews at BoomTown (South Carolina)

2.9

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BoomTown (South Carolina) (Charleston, SC).

Interview

People submit their resumes on line or via referrals internally. Candidates recommended by current employees are given special attention. Typically candidates are given an initial phone interview followed by several in-person interviews. Usually they will first meet with the talent department followed by the hiring manager. Then they will have an in-depth technical interview with several members of the engineering team. They will be asked all kinds of questions related to what they've built, how they've done it, and what they're passionate about. They may also be asked to design things on-the-fly and or write some code to solve a problem in any language they are comfortable with. Usually the last part of the interview process is too see if the candidate is a good culture fit. They are usually interviewed by several people from different parts of the company.

Once the interview process is complete everyone involved in the process sits down and has an open and honest discussion about the candidate and whether or not they're a great fit for the company.

Interview Questions

• Typically it will revolve around solving some kind of technical problem. It's not the same every time and definitely varies depending on who is giving the interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate salary, vacation, and relocation.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at BoomTown (South Carolina) (Charleston, SC).

Interview

Very casual interview process. Took a short online programming exam, then met with a senior software engineer who told me a little bit about the company and ask a few technical questions. Then went back for another interview and sat down with a few software engineers who ask some technical questions but mostly about my experience and what my understanding was on particular subjects. However, it was very casual and most of the questions were more real life scenario questions instead of theoretical computer science questions. Then finally has a cultural interview with people from various departments. The cultural interview was great and very causal and gave me a better understanding of the company and why people enjoyed working there.

Interview Questions

• What is your preferred language and/or framework? What was a particularly challenging software bug you had and how did you end up fixing it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alameda, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BoomTown (South Carolina) (Alameda, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

The interview process included 2 phone screens and an onsite interview in their Alameda office with 2 sales team leads, and a Skype interview with 5 members from their headquarters in South Carolina. The people at BoomTown were excellent. The company is promising with huge upsides for growth. The only hindrance was I was interviewing with a different company that paid 10k more in base. I was also hesitant about the company culture in their remote office in California, being such a small team. The South Carolina office had great reviews since it is a large team.

Interview Questions

• I'm walking into an Apple store, pretend you're a sales rep and tell my why this iPhone is better than my Samsung Galaxy.   1 Answer

Jul 22, 2015 – Talent Coordinator

Thanks for coming in to interview with us, and we're sorry it didn't work out. Best of luck with your new adventure!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BoomTown (South Carolina) (Charleston, SC).

Interview

You will go through a standard two phone screens and if all goes well you will be invited for an onsite interview.

An itinerary will be sent out with several scheduled interviews with a total of about 10-12 members of Boomtown. It was basically a meeting with each member of the sales team and a cultural interview with people from other departments within the Company.

The office is really cool, it has a typical start-up chill type vibe (everyone causal, office is dog friendly).

Overall the interview was a great experience, everyone is very friendly and easy to talk to. Each individual bleeds Boomtown, and you will feel a lot of positive energy and almost cheerleader type vibe about their experience with the company. They will ask the standard interview questions but feels more like a conversation then an interview.

I was basically led to believe I was getting an offer:
    An email stating they wanted to check my references
    Then another email saying an explanation of benefit team will be reaching out to me...

I continued to promptly follow up after these emails but I was never given a clear idea of what was going on.

I was eventually contacted and told (in a nut shell) they got someone better and would not be moving forward.

Overall, it came across very unprofessional. They could have at least waited till they had explored all options aka done conducting interviews to make any type of decision?? Or just been more clear or honest with where they were with me in the process. I felt very misled. Therefore do not expect anything until offer is on the table. Communication is not a strong point.

Interview Questions

• What makes you want to work at Boomtown?

What can you bring to the company that someone with technology sales experience cannot?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at BoomTown (South Carolina) (Charleston, SC) in January 2019.

Interview

I applied online and also had a referral. I was contacted quickly about scheduling a phone interview, however, they had a lot of applicants with software experience so I didn't make it any further.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about the sales process that you have used in the past?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BoomTown (South Carolina).

Interview

Interesting company. Had phone, video and in-person interviews. Seem like nice people. Spacious office and energetic group. Would have appreciated feedback but just got a form letter rejection after a month long process.

Interview Questions

BoomTown (South Carolina) Response

Aug 23, 2017

Hi there,

We're sorry that you had a negative experience. We would love to take a moment to chat with you about this, as well as give you feedback. If you're willing, please email... More

Software Developer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at BoomTown (South Carolina) in July 2013.

Interview

Very friendly. Gave a walk through of the building. Sat down for the personality interview, then was moved to a different room for the tech interview. Went well. Good, nice people.

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BoomTown (South Carolina).

Interview

I received an email to schedule an initial phone screen with a "recruiter" (who was not the person who sent the initial email). Within the first few minutes of the call, it was obvious that this person knew next to nothing about the position I was interviewed for, had taken at best a cursory glance at my resume, and had not read the job description posted online. Repeatedly, when the recruiter asked questions about my experience, she did not appear to understand the answers I gave, even when I explicitly outlined how they were applicable to the position I was ostensibly applying for.

When I asked about specific bullet points in the requisition that seemed to conflict with the position she was describing, she seemed confused as to why I would be asking such questions--and acted as though it was I who didn't understand the position. When I asked about how new projects were identified, and even helped her to answer by outlining what normally drives new projects in the software industry, she didn't appear to understand that the idea for a new project has to originate somewhere. When I tried answering her vague and sometimes self-contradictory questions by talking about projects I have managed in the past, and how I have grown professionally as a result, I could hear her eyes glazing over through the telephone receiver. The interview was difficult not because the questions were hard, but because the recruiter was impossible to interact with in a thoughtful and meaningful way.

I was not surprised to receive a form letter a few days later stating that someone else had been selected. It's quite possible that this position wouldn't have been a fit for my skill set; I know better than to take a rejection slip personally. It's also possible that Boomtown found an ideal candidate, but Boomtown might as well be selecting people to bring in completely at random. At best, the recruiter was grossly unprepared; she didn't even know her own company's published materials, let alone what makes a good project manager. I've had bad interviews before, and not every interviewer is an expert--that's just life, and interviewing is an underrated skill. But the complete lack of basic professional standards in this case left me absolutely disgusted.

Prior to this experience, I had a very favorable impression of Boomtown; I no longer do. If Boomtown is managing to bring in good people, it's blind, dumb luck.

Interview Questions

• If there was a single question that was in any way intelligent or thought-provoking, I can't recall it.   Answer Question

Sep 9, 2016 – Director of Talent

Hi there! We are sorry this was your experience, and would like to take a moment to dig into your feedback a little deeper. Our Director of Talent would love to set-up a call and discuss it with... More

Video Editor Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at BoomTown (South Carolina).

Interview

The interview process started great! With prompt phone calls from the talent acquisition / HR reps, fun Skype interviews with the creative team, then ending with an in-person visit to their office (they paid for airfare & hotel). I had a great time throughout the interview, they definitely had a culture there that seemed very lovely. However, the product seemed to confuse a lot of the staff, who had trouble explaining exactly what their product is/does. A few times they said "nobody is really interested in real estate" with a laugh. I get it, it's essentially B2B. Sometimes only the devs/execs understand.

They offered me the job, which I accepted. Three days later, right before I'm about to forfeit my lease, they call me to say that they "retract their offer" because I didn't sign their paperwork fast enough. I was shocked by this. Wow.

They sent me the paperwork on a Friday afternoon and I signed it Saturday morning.

I guess they found someone else qualified that was willing to work for half the salary. Wish they wouldn't have shifted the blame onto me, because I understand business is business. I'm too expensive? Inform me, and say goodbye. No hard feelings. Don't try to guilt me.

Interview Questions

• Can you edit this 3-minute video for us to see your skills?   Answer Question

Negotiation

If you negotiate, they'll make you turn down your other offers and then retract at the last minute! Take what they offer or understand that they'll go in another direction if you ask for $5k more.

Compliance Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at BoomTown (South Carolina) (Charleston, SC) in October 2014.

Interview

The process involved an initial phone interview with a talent recruiter, followed by a phone call with the team lead. Pretty standard interview questions, had great conversation with both of the people I spoke with. I thought that the interviews went great and expected to be called in afterward, but unfortunately they felt that I needed something more challenging. Seems like a great company to work for, though.