Booz Allen Hamilton Management Consulting Senior Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Management Consulting Senior Consultant

Booz Allen Hamilton Management Consulting Senior Consultant Interview Questions

Interviews at Booz Allen Hamilton

2.3

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton (Washington, DC) in July 2013.

Interview

The actual process was very odd -- I had submitted an online application for a generic job title at some point, forgotten about it, and then several months later received an unexpected email soliciting an interview. After a simple phone screening asking me to recap my resume, I was invited to an "interview event" (I don't remember exactly what they called it), that consisted of a short presentation by an HR consultant followed by a couple of interviews with Booz Allen staff lasting about 30 minutes apiece.

The first of these was a dull, cut-and-dried question-and-answer session asking for yet another resume recap, strengths, weaknesses, why this job, why this company, and so forth. The second was a "case" interview, though nothing like what I had heard case interviews for consulting firms were supposedly like. I was asked a very general question posing a client engagement scenario, and how I would approach the scoping and work if it were my project to run. There were no mind teasers, no mathematical questions, nothing even highly specific about the hypothetical engagement; it was mostly just an exercise in delineating a strategy for approaching a project.

After these interviews, I was presented with an offer over the phone within a week or two, and a formal letter following not long after that. Frankly one of the easiest interview processes I've gone though, and definitely not matching expectations in terms of rigor or level of difficulty that I expected from a firm in the management consulting industry.

Interview Questions

• The "unexpected" factor came in the generalized form of the "case" question. As best I can remember, the question was a hypothetical about a large federal client engaging the firm to optimize their IT portfolio. Almost no details were specified, and subsequent questions in response to the ideas I offered did not provide many particular parameters to consider.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Zero negotiation; the HR person who was dealing with me (a consultant to Booz, not an actual employee) claimed that the compensation was fixed based on the contract that I was being hired to work on and couldn't be moved.

Other Interview Reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton (Herndon, VA) in September 2014.

Interview

I applied directly to the company and was contacted for an initial screening interview in less than a week. From that, I was asked back for an in person interview with the hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to explain a situation in which I failed at getting the result from a situation that I was spearheading at work.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton (Washington, DC) in June 2008.

Interview

The recruiter was professional. The face to face interviews were with six different Booz Allen employees from different ranks. They were vague about the job since they hire for a career path instead for a specific contract job. It was a good experience.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in five years   Answer Question
    • Tell me about your weakness as a consultant?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton (McLean, VA) in July 2010.

Interview

The hiring process is outsourced to a vendor. Therefore, many new hires provide critical feedback about the hiring process. Candidates who are being refered by an employee should communicate heavily with their contact, rather than relying on the recruitor to stay in touch. To prepare for an interview, candidates should be able to speak to their resumes and have stories to respond to questions like "tell me a time when..."

Interview Questions

• If you were asked to create a new hire program for Booz Allen, how would you go about doing it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I asked for a specific salary. Booz Allen countered but provided a sign-on bonus which came close to the original request.

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton (McLean, VA) in October 2012.

Interview

A few months ago I was approached by a BAH HR recruiter via e-mail. She set up a phone interview which took place about a week later. The phone interview was more or less a screening and she assessed whether my personal background was relevant to consulting. The skills I chose to mostly talk about were providing support in implementing new programs and business process models.

The BAH HR recruiter then sent me a date to meet face to face for interviews at the McLean HQ in VA. The face to face interview went like this. 1st there was a 30 minute orientation where it was a sort of question answer between a presenter and a group of four of us who were there for interviews. Once that was over, we were escorted to smaller rooms for individual face to face interviews. I had 3 face to face interviews which each lasted 30 minutes, with 3 lead associates. These lead associates asked questions mostly based off my resume. I again highlighted my previous government contracting experience and gave precise numbers on my dollar impact on projects. The majority of each of my 30 minute interviews was interpersonal banter, they were interested mostly in me as an individual and wanted to know if I was a "go getter".

The interviewers liked to underline work-life balance, and the usual "work hard, play hard". They seemed more interested in seeing if I would be a good fit and team player.

After the interview, which took place on a Friday afternoon, I received a phone call on Monday with a preliminary offer saying "the interviewers have recommended you for hire and we'd like to see if you are still interested." After this about a week later they provided me an offer letter, I negotiated since I had another offer from another company. They met my requirements and I accepted.

Once I signed, they sent the clearance papers and once that transferred over (two weeks later,) I was set up with a start date, a career manager, and schedule for the "Firm Wide Orientation" where all BAH employees have to attend to get the introduction to BAH. This is potentially the long wait because you'll have to wait until the next Orientation Date to start. Wherever you are working you are flown in for this experience. I haven't experienced this kind of orientation before and its interesting that BAH goes to these lengths to ensure new-hires have a standardized initial experience.

Interview Questions

• "What else can you tell me that would make me interested in hiring you?"   3 Answers

Negotiation

They initially sent an offer right smack dab in the middle of my salary range, I negotiated it up closer to the highest end of the range and once they offered it at my requested level, I signed the dotted line. It was easy enough. It helped that I had another company giving me an offer at the same time.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton (Washington, DC).

Interview

I submitted my resume online for a variety of positions so honestly I'm not sure which one actually got their attention. Interview was very easy. Speed dating-type setup. There were about 20 candidates in the room at different tables and current employees moved around the room. Employees weren't HR, they worked with clients like people in my position would. They were all very open and honest about working at the company and wanted to make sure the job would be a good fit for both parties.

Interview Questions

• What is the most important characteristic you look for when picking team members?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Booz Allen Hamilton (Washington, DC).

Interview

I spoke with a recruiter in late October about the senior consultant position and I was setup to interview a week later but somethings fell through. The recruiter reached back out to me late November and we got the ball rolling again and scheduled another interview. It was a general management consultant interview with about 15 other candidates to be interviewed. We were separated into different rooms where I met with 2 different managers working different projects. We discussed my overall skills and background. It was an easy going conversation with both managers, I knew my resume very well and could speak to everything they asked me about. I was even asked about certain Excel skills and I was honest in telling them that I was no expert in Excel but I can always research.

I received positive feedback about my interview within 48 hours and I was offered the position the following week.