Borders Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Borders Interview Questions

2.2

Bookseller/Barista Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Borders (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

It was a simple interview that lasted 20 minutes. I was offered coffee since it was the barista position. It was a one on one interview with the store manager. Not entirely sure if the general manager would do interviews.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was none.

Cashier/Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Avondale, AZ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Borders (Avondale, AZ).

Interview

This was back in 2008 when applications were still in paper format with some being online, hence I filled out the form after inquiring as to any openings, returned same day; within a week was called to see if I was still interested which I was; two days later an in-person interview on one of their cafe tables surrounded by customers and employees, the questions of why would I want to work for Borders, what are my interests, where do I see myself half a decade hence, how long would I be willing to work for them-short/long term and if I was interested in moving up the corporate ladder. The lady conducting the interview was smiling, relaxed and very friendly-she was happy that I had questions of my own for her.

Interview Questions

• Due to being six years ago, I cannot answer this question.   Answer Question

Cafe Clerk Interview

Interview

This company is out of business now so I hardly think this info is relevant to anyone anymore. But the process was pretty average with a test of knowledge about music and books, even though the position I interviewed for was the café.

President Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Borders.

Interview

the hiring process was a bit awkward. Lots of people who did not know anything aksing questions like they actually knew what they were doing. It is apparent that this company wa going down because they didn't promote based on what you could do but rather on weather or not they liked you. They cause a lot of people to hold positions that they were not qualified for. A lot of people had a lot of power without and of the skills or qualifications. They alos treated the people at store level like dirt. That is where their money was coming from to pay their salaries.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was if I would like to relocate. I didn't like the area but accepted anyway. its hard to find people who will move to this part of the country.   Answer Question

Bookseller/Barista Interview

Anonymous Employee in East Brunswick, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Borders (East Brunswick, NJ).

Interview

Had a one round interview, first with the hiring manager/asst. manager, who then lead me to meet the store manager. Once approved by the store manager, I met the heads of the three different departments (music/cafe, cash/wrap, books). They decided where I would fit best but explained that I would end up working all over the store regardless.

Interview Questions

• They asked me how to handle customers in difficult situations i.e. during a mis-handled purchase, a botched return, angry customer that felt mistreated by employee, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I felt that the offer was generous for the work needed but I felt that I would not be able to negotiate.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Highland Park, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Borders (Highland Park, IL).

Interview

Hiring was relaxed, interview was detailed including my ability to relate to customers in a friendly way. I was Johnny-on-the-Spot so had to change gears and do it quickly.

Interview Questions

• What animal was I most like and why?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I accepted.

Barista Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Borders.

Interview

Short 5 minute interview...got the job

Interview Questions

• They were all fairly easy, I think I had the job before I walked in   Answer Question

Children's Department Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Grand Junction, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Borders (Grand Junction, CO).

Interview

The interview was easy. I talked to the manager one on one briefly. It was pretty laid back and didn't ask anything strange or difficult. I told her how much I loved books and working with kids. I had some library experience, worked as a preschool teacher, and had a degree in early childhood education- which helped me.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. She said it was all they could offer.

Events Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Borders (Miami, FL) in September 2012.

Interview

It was very thorough interview with both parties involved. I felt very comfortable and I was able to ask questions myself. It was unfortunate that they could not hire me in the end.

Interview Questions

• Where do I see myself in five years   1 Answer

Book Seller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Borders (Harrisburg, PA) in May 2012.

Interview

It was pretty relaxed and friendly. I don't remember too much about it. Again, this was actually like a decade ago but Glassdoor won't let me go that far back. I doubt it was too hard - I got the job! Um, they just asked me some basic questions about why I wanted to work there. The bookseller position appeals to a lot of youths, so the interview can't be too difficult.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer