Borders Bookseller/Barista Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Borders Bookseller/Barista Interview Questions

1.6

5 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Borders (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

It was a simple interview that lasted 20 minutes. I was offered coffee since it was the barista position. It was a one on one interview with the store manager. Not entirely sure if the general manager would do interviews.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was none.

Other Interview Reviews for Borders

Anonymous Employee in East Brunswick, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Borders (East Brunswick, NJ).

Interview

Had a one round interview, first with the hiring manager/asst. manager, who then lead me to meet the store manager. Once approved by the store manager, I met the heads of the three different departments (music/cafe, cash/wrap, books). They decided where I would fit best but explained that I would end up working all over the store regardless.

Interview Questions

• They asked me how to handle customers in difficult situations i.e. during a mis-handled purchase, a botched return, angry customer that felt mistreated by employee, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I felt that the offer was generous for the work needed but I felt that I would not be able to negotiate.

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Borders (Nashville, TN) in September 2011.

Interview

It was an easy interview. They had me come in and discussed the job and showed me around the place. I had a recommendation from a friend, which ultimately got me the job. Unfortunately the job was a bad experience. I was very happy to learn that the company went under.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience in a coffee shop?   1 Answer

Bookseller/Barista Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Borders in April 2010.

Interview

I got a call from HR then she invited me for onsite interview with hiring manager and asked me specific time which is suitable for me or not?I said that time perfect for me then after a while she has been sent one email to me with details for my interview.I went for interview,it was 1:1 interview with section manager and he asked me lots of technical questions about PC architecture and RTL. Some situation and my previous work experiences related questions was also there.I asked some questions related to the position.

Bookseller/Barista Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Borders in February 2008.

Interview

The interview was relaxed and simple. Once you get past the initial personality test, the interview becomes geared to your communication skills and friendliness. There may be only 5-10 other candidates at this point and their choice will most likely depend on the personality of the interviewer. This means you should gear your responses towards the individual who is interviewing. The questions are basic for retail positions. Have you had experience in retail? How would you deal with a tough customer? Why do you want to work here? Do you feel comfortable selling particular products? Bonus points are given for applicants who demonstrate knowledge of literature, particularly if it is a broad knowledge. They just want to see if you like books and if you can make suggestions to customers for bigger sales.

Interview Questions

• What book is on your nightstand right now?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There isn't much negotiation. The pay is low so you can't expect much. Depending on your experience or how well they liked you, you may be able to get an extra $0.50, but not much more.