Borders Barista Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Borders Barista Interview Questions

1.8

10 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Borders (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

It was a simple interview that lasted 20 minutes. I was offered coffee since it was the barista position. It was a one on one interview with the store manager. Not entirely sure if the general manager would do interviews.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was none.

Anonymous Employee in East Brunswick, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Borders (East Brunswick, NJ).

Interview

Had a one round interview, first with the hiring manager/asst. manager, who then lead me to meet the store manager. Once approved by the store manager, I met the heads of the three different departments (music/cafe, cash/wrap, books). They decided where I would fit best but explained that I would end up working all over the store regardless.

Interview Questions

• They asked me how to handle customers in difficult situations i.e. during a mis-handled purchase, a botched return, angry customer that felt mistreated by employee, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I felt that the offer was generous for the work needed but I felt that I would not be able to negotiate.

Barista Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Borders.

Interview

Short 5 minute interview...got the job

Interview Questions

• They were all fairly easy, I think I had the job before I walked in   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Borders (Nashville, TN) in September 2011.

Interview

It was an easy interview. They had me come in and discussed the job and showed me around the place. I had a recommendation from a friend, which ultimately got me the job. Unfortunately the job was a bad experience. I was very happy to learn that the company went under.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience in a coffee shop?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Borders (Tucson, AZ) in May 2010.

Interview

Called to come in for a group interview with the store manager and cafe manager. Ask typical interview questions (name positive, negative about yourself etc.). They were looking someone to fill in for typical retail hours and offered after only one interview. Positive process overall.

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Borders (Raleigh, NC) in November 2009.

Interview

I was called within a week to interview. Interview was geared towards customer service. Sample questions..name a time you've made a mistake, what did you do to make things right?....Have you ever had to be persuasive? What was the approach/outcome?

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiating on my part. This was a part-time job to supplement another job

Bookseller/Barista Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Borders in April 2010.

Interview

I got a call from HR then she invited me for onsite interview with hiring manager and asked me specific time which is suitable for me or not?I said that time perfect for me then after a while she has been sent one email to me with details for my interview.I went for interview,it was 1:1 interview with section manager and he asked me lots of technical questions about PC architecture and RTL. Some situation and my previous work experiences related questions was also there.I asked some questions related to the position.

Barista Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Borders in August 2008.

Interview

Applied online via a job listings web site. One week later, was asked to come in for a one on one interview with the store manager, who asked various questions about my bckground and responces to certain situations including rude customers and being unsure what to do for certain situaions. Was then asked if clarification was needed for self on the part of what the job detailed, rules and regulations and personal appearance, etc. Recieved a phone call one week later in which i was given the information that they would like to hire me.

The current Manager at thte time for Rainbow and Lakemead Location did not give hints via body language or voice tone as to how well the interview is going for them.

Culture varies based on employee. Management tends to be strict, though if the employee is meeting standards to their expectations, somewhat relaxed.

Hourly Wages differ for posistion. (example; Cafe employees make $8.00 starting with potential 25 cent/ year wage increase while cashiers for "book side" start out at minimum wage with the same wage increase potential.

Customer service is a number one at this location. Dealing with unpleasant or unhappy customers with a cheerful and helpful manner is a must at this location. When interviewing, smile often and be sincere. Just answering the way you think is right, tends to put people off here.

If you have a love of the merchandise or have been a long time customer, the faculty tends to warm up to you a bit moe quickly than otherwise.

Information given here valid during Winter of 2009. Employees, management and policy may have changed with time.

Interview Questions

• What was the worst customer situation you encountered and how sis you handle it?   1 Answer
    • How do you handle stress?   1 Answer

Negotiation

none.

Barista Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Borders in July 2008.

Interview

It is easiest to become a regular customer first and then apply for the job. I befriended an employee and got her to recommend me for the job. My interview was just a formality as I already had barista experience and a recommendation from an employee in good standing. I had one ten minute interview and started work two days later. The process was simple and quick.

Bookseller/Barista Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Borders in February 2008.

Interview

The interview was relaxed and simple. Once you get past the initial personality test, the interview becomes geared to your communication skills and friendliness. There may be only 5-10 other candidates at this point and their choice will most likely depend on the personality of the interviewer. This means you should gear your responses towards the individual who is interviewing. The questions are basic for retail positions. Have you had experience in retail? How would you deal with a tough customer? Why do you want to work here? Do you feel comfortable selling particular products? Bonus points are given for applicants who demonstrate knowledge of literature, particularly if it is a broad knowledge. They just want to see if you like books and if you can make suggestions to customers for bigger sales.

Interview Questions

• What book is on your nightstand right now?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There isn't much negotiation. The pay is low so you can't expect much. Depending on your experience or how well they liked you, you may be able to get an extra $0.50, but not much more.