Borders Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Borders Interview Questions

2.2

Cafe Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Borders in July 2010.

Interview

I had been working for Borders as a bookseller/cafe seller when the position became available. I had previous experience in the cafe and a good relationship with my bosses. I went through a preliminary interview with my stores GM and he asked a lot of difficult questions pertaining to increasing sales and holding my current coworkers accountable. Next I interviewed with a different supervisor in the store who I hadn't become very acquainted with. She asked me questions regarding how I would handle the transition from coworker to supervisor and why I think I should be hired over someone with supervisory experience.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time when you could not meet a customers needs? Please explain what happened.   1 Answer
    • How do you think you will handle the leadership position having no prior experience as a supervisor?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Yes, because I knew the GM and was comfortable with this process...for any other interview I don't think I would have pushed my luck.

Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Borders (Atlanta, GA) in October 2009.

Interview

I had applied online several weeks prior to being called. I received a phone call from the assistant manager who did a brief phone interview and scheduled an in-store interview. That interview went on for more than an hour. I was then scheduled for a 2nd interview with the actual manager, which took place the following week. This also went on for over an hour. Ridiculously redundant, everything could have been wrapped up in one interview. If only the real manager has the final say, then that person should be conducting all interviews instead of wasting candidates' time and the company's time.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had something very challenging to handle, and how did you deal with it?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time you had a difficult customer and how did you handle it?   1 Answer

Negotiation

What negotiation? The position pays $8.00 an hour, take it or leave it.

Events Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Borders (Miami, FL) in September 2012.

Interview

It was very thorough interview with both parties involved. I felt very comfortable and I was able to ask questions myself. It was unfortunate that they could not hire me in the end.

Interview Questions

• Where do I see myself in five years   1 Answer

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Borders (Portland, OR) in January 2011.

Interview

Job fair, 2 interviews, used the basic questions provided by most retailing corporations. They actually encouraged me to apply for manager, I came in applying for a supervisor's position. Nice and personable, obviously loved what they were doing and were looking for someone who also loved books.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever broken the rules? Tell me about it.   1 Answer

Cashier/Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Avondale, AZ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Borders (Avondale, AZ).

Interview

This was back in 2008 when applications were still in paper format with some being online, hence I filled out the form after inquiring as to any openings, returned same day; within a week was called to see if I was still interested which I was; two days later an in-person interview on one of their cafe tables surrounded by customers and employees, the questions of why would I want to work for Borders, what are my interests, where do I see myself half a decade hence, how long would I be willing to work for them-short/long term and if I was interested in moving up the corporate ladder. The lady conducting the interview was smiling, relaxed and very friendly-she was happy that I had questions of my own for her.

Interview Questions

• Due to being six years ago, I cannot answer this question.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Highland Park, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Borders (Highland Park, IL).

Interview

Hiring was relaxed, interview was detailed including my ability to relate to customers in a friendly way. I was Johnny-on-the-Spot so had to change gears and do it quickly.

Interview Questions

• What animal was I most like and why?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I accepted.

Barista Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Borders (Tucson, AZ) in May 2010.

Interview

Called to come in for a group interview with the store manager and cafe manager. Ask typical interview questions (name positive, negative about yourself etc.). They were looking someone to fill in for typical retail hours and offered after only one interview. Positive process overall.

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Borders in June 2009.

Interview

Borders had a thorough interview process. There were many situational questions about possible work situations and they asked questions about previous work experience. I visited several stores to see what the environment was like and to see how the morale was in the stores. The DM interviewed me for about an hour and a half and asked what my favorite books and movies were. We also discussed music and customer service. Overall it was a good experience and it led to my being hires soon after that.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiations

District Manager Interview

Application

The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at Borders in January 2011.

Interview

This was only a phone discussion that was shut down very quickly as the company decided to declare bankruptcy.

Interview Questions

• How will you save your stores from the closing store lists?   Answer Question
    • How do you create profit in stores severely understaffed?   Answer Question

I Was Actually the Interviewer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Borders (Houston, TX) in June 2011.

Interview

This was an employee referral and I had heard good things about the individual. I would say having a can do attitude really helped this person. We were looking for someone self motivated, positive, and quick learner. The best question I ever got from an HR person in my first interview with the company was: "What motivates you?" I have used that question throughout my career with Borders/Waldenbooks and the answers are very tellingabout the the candidate.

Interview Questions

• What motivates you?   1 Answer
    • What was the most difficult customer service experience you ever had and how did you handle the situation?   1 Answer